Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 12:57 PM

6 posts, read 9,569 times

Advertisements

Well I found out he was hiding that he is seeing a therapist and he said he did not want me to worry about him.

My bf is sensitive kind of guy but tries to hide that fact that he is sensitive. He tries to act tough and attempts to seem like a bad boy but is he not.
I know my bf has social anxiety it not that bad but sometimes it is hard for him. Also he told me he does not feel Feeling Comfortable in his Own Skin. It is like he on the outside looking in and feel like he does not fit in.

On top of that we had a few fights but everything is going good. I do however was a little freaked out the other day when I went over to his place and found him crying on the living room he just got done with therapy and I did not know what to do so I gave him a hug and put my arms around him and told him everything is going to be OK I am hear for you and I love you.

I never had a guy cry in front of me before and I now feel bad that I kind of freaked out for a minute. My last BF was emotionally distant and never opened up to me at all. I do think my BF was embarrassed that he cried in front of me. After that everything was OK and got himself together and the rest of the nigh was great. It was nice to see him laughing and joking around acting like his normal self.

All he has told me was he just working on some things and I do not need to worry. Well I worry about my bf and feel like I am helpless .How do I help him open up to me or what can I do to be more supportive? I want to help but he will not talk about it at all. He says he is not ready to talk about it yet. It just feels like he pushing me and friends and family away some times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 01:02 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,621 times
Something makes me think that this writing was done by a male member of the forum who was recently suggested to go to therapy.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:04 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times
Just be there for him. My wife did this before we were married, the pushing me away from her. (Heck, even through a rough stretch of our marriage.) And when I pointed out to her what it seemed like she was doing -- I was clear with her that it was my perception, even though I was sure I was right, so that I would not come off accusingly -- she decidded i was right adn we were able to talk things out.

The question I have for you is: why do you care that he was "hiding the fact" that he was seeing a therapist? Do you have a problem with him seeing a therapist? Or that he didn't tell you?

Old 08-22-2013, 01:05 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Something makes me think that this writing was done by a male member of the forum who was recently suggested to go to therapy.
You know, my first thought was to go find the quote by "John" about how seeing a therapist doesn't do any good, but then i decided to take the poster at face value.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:06 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,286,674 times
weakness is frowned upon , especially for men , I see no harm in hiding such a thing

Old 08-22-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Just be there for him. My wife did this before we were married, the pushing me away from her. (Heck, even through a rough stretch of our marriage.) And when I pointed out to her what it seemed like she was doing -- I was clear with her that it was my perception, even though I was sure I was right, so that I would not come off accusingly -- she decidded i was right adn we were able to talk things out.

The question I have for you is: why do you care that he was "hiding the fact" that he was seeing a therapist? Do you have a problem with him seeing a therapist? Or that he didn't tell you?
Just a little upset that he did not tell me but it does not matter he getting help it a good thing.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
weakness is frowned upon , especially for men , I see no harm in hiding such a thing
I do not view seeing a therapist as weak.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
Pride. Many people don't want other to know they are seeing a therapist. They don't want people to think they have a mental illness.

There has just been a stigma in the past and it is one that many cannot get past.

I think talking to a neutral person is helpful. They can reflect upon the things you are telling them and help you to move forward, given what you are telling them is the open and honest truth.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:03 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Actually, OP, I'd be concerned that there's a major part of him, major enough to cause him to go to a therapist and to cry, that he'd never shared with me. That's a pretty important issue, whatever it is. Sounds like he has trouble opening up. That's sad, because it means he isolates himself for no reason. He has a source of support right there by his side, and he's keeping it at arm's length.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:06 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Why ? The post sounds completely legitimate to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships