Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:43 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,087,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
All the people posting who don't actually have children are in capable of understanding the love a parent feels for their child. It's not a criticism - just a fact. Before I had my child, I couldn't imagine the love I could feel for my son. So you can say how you "would" or "might" feel until the cows come home - but it really doesn't mean anything unless you actually have children. I don't have siblings - I can say how I "would" or "might" feel about them - but at the end of the day, I have absolutely no clue because they don't exist.
So, what about the following facts?

You do realize there are part-time parents out there who didn't birth their own children right? I don't understand why people believe just because it doesn't pop out of your womb (or you weren't the sperm donor), you know nothing about parenting.

Have you met nannies who work full-time live within the household and basically raise the children, but have no children of their own? Sorry, I'd call them parents (because usually the egg/sperm donor aren't parenting).

What about couples who care for the children of military personnel that must be deployed? Sometimes it's the grandparents, sometimes it's a sibling watching the children...oh and they have no kids, but are parents, while the real ones are not there.

I guess in those situations, albeit not usual, they're not "real" parents and therefore still don't understand.
I also guess childfree people in the world can't love children more than some parents do either, right?

Lastly. What if I told you, yes, I am childfree by choice. I never want children. But that's because I had a child and that child died? Guess I still don't understand what it's like, right? Because I didn't get to "parent" that child for years and years. And that I don't have a child now. And that I don't want a child ever again.

You really need to open your eyes and see that life isn't black and white. I just gave you 3 situations where a non-parent can understand the love that a parent could have for their child. So I hate to burst your bubble, but it's not a fact and yes, it is criticism (especially to the non-parents who do parent children and love them like their own).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 11:24 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,260,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
So, what about the following facts?

You do realize there are part-time parents out there who didn't birth their own children right? I don't understand why people believe just because it doesn't pop out of your womb (or you weren't the sperm donor), you know nothing about parenting.

Have you met nannies who work full-time live within the household and basically raise the children, but have no children of their own? Sorry, I'd call them parents (because usually the egg/sperm donor aren't parenting).

What about couples who care for the children of military personnel that must be deployed? Sometimes it's the grandparents, sometimes it's a sibling watching the children...oh and they have no kids, but are parents, while the real ones are not there.

I guess in those situations, albeit not usual, they're not "real" parents and therefore still don't understand.
I also guess childfree people in the world can't love children more than some parents do either, right?

Lastly. What if I told you, yes, I am childfree by choice. I never want children. But that's because I had a child and that child died? Guess I still don't understand what it's like, right? Because I didn't get to "parent" that child for years and years. And that I don't have a child now. And that I don't want a child ever again.

You really need to open your eyes and see that life isn't black and white. I just gave you 3 situations where a non-parent can understand the love that a parent could have for their child. So I hate to burst your bubble, but it's not a fact and yes, it is criticism (especially to the non-parents who do parent children and love them like their own).
All the people posting here who do not have children and are talking about who they would love more have no idea what they are talking about. I stand by what I said. No need to get your panties in a bunch. Someone who had a child and the child died is not someone who has not had children.

Oh - and by saying "not had children" - I'm not saying that you actually have to have given birth to the child. An adoptive parent still has children and is still a parent. I didn't realize I would have to specify that. But, no, a nanny is not a parent.

Last edited by Dewdroplet76; 07-13-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old 07-13-2013, 11:34 AM

9,229 posts, read 16,592,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Oh boy

You know, it's not a contest.
I agree. It's a different kind of love. And how much that matters depends on the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thank you! That kind of question is like asking "which do you love better, nirvana or paradise?"
Well? Which is it?

Old 07-13-2013, 11:51 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,087,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
All the people posting here who do not have children and are talking about who they would love more have no idea what they are talking about. I stand by what I said. No need to get your panties in a bunch. Someone who had a child and the child died is not someone who has not had children.

Oh - and by saying "not had children" - I'm not saying that you actually have to have given birth to the child. An adoptive parent still has children and is still a parent. I didn't realize I would have to specify that. But, no, a nanny is not a parent.
I wasn't talking about adoptive parents. I get my panties in a bunch because you're insulting people who did not adopt and yet, still care for and parent children on a daily basis and love them as much as you love your children. I know two people who fall into this category and they are always insulted by people like you (just because they did not adopt, birth, or give semen they are not parents ). Ah well, that's their fight to fight, not mine.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:58 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,260,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I wasn't talking about adoptive parents. I get my panties in a bunch because you're insulting people who did not adopt and yet, still care for and parent children on a daily basis and love them as much as you love your children. I know two people who fall into this category and they are always insulted by people like you (just because they did not adopt, birth, or give semen they are not parents ). Ah well, that's their fight to fight, not mine.
I disagree with you but I'm okay with that. Loving a child "like it's your own" is not the same as loving your own child. That's not meant to be an insult. If you do not have children of your own - you simply do not know what it is like to love your own children. I have friends that I consider family - but I still do not know what it is like to love a sibling. I can imagine what it is like - but at the end of the day - I really don't know. I'm not saying people can't love other people's children - but the question was - who do you love more - your husband or your children. As many other posters who have children have said - it's not a contest - it's a different kind of love. But the question wasn't - can you love a child that isn't your own in the same way that you love your own child. And this isn't a contest between people who don't have children and people who do. My point is that if you don't have children - you can't say that you would love your spouse more no matter what. And I'm not saying that I love my son MORE than my husband. I'm saying you can't compare the two.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:59 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,272,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Would you have felt the same if he had passed away around the time you planned to divorce him anyways? I guess it would have saved you paper work.
I'm missing the relevance of this question...or was it an accusation?

Old 07-13-2013, 03:16 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,249,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I'm missing the relevance of this question...or was it an accusation?
As a guy to have your wife divorce you with a small child or several small children is a kiss of death, the woman can get up to 33% of your after tax income and a lot of things that once sounded crazy before start sounding viable, like leaving or filling out a living will, etc.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:21 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,475,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennylogic View Post
Firstly, I believe that we fall deeply in love with our babies and our young families. But speaking as a mother of older children – I have come full circle to know that my love for my husband is above and beyond that for my children. But that is because I am seeing them for the individuals that they have grown into and will soon enter the world as. Not as the babies and young ones dependent upon me for life.
I love my children dearly and deeply – but I have returned to the original state of the union with my husband where I have remembered where and why it all began. Between the two of us and our love for each other. The kids will grow and move away – and the relationship with my husband will be on the forefront of my mind. It is he that I will pass the days with while my children grow and live their own lives and create their own families.
I hope that my husband and I have communicated our love for each other in such a manner that my children feel compelled to want the same for themselves. Each night I pray for the individuals that they will share their lives and love with – even though we haven’t met them yet.
This is probably the best thing I've ever seen written on this website.

Thank you.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:33 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,261,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
But it's the husband's seed that ensures those generations.

Besides, the wife and husband share sexual bond that's beyond anything a mother shares with her children.
LOL You are funny.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:38 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,261,225 times
I like Jennylogic's logic as well. When my daughter is no longer my dependent I may return to my husband being my number one priority. Her existence as a baby and child is temporary. I will not always have this person with me. With that said, it's hard to imagine feeling differently than I do now. If my husband left me for whatever reason (divorce, death, etc) I would survive and then some. I would eventually be just fine. I can't imagine that being the case with my kid. My mother lost her son and while she continues on she does not deny that it will never be right. Her life will never be right again. I get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships