Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 07:12 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,310,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Why is that a problem, kids should learn early that they are not the center of the universe, in fact they are the bottom of the totem pole, they have done nothing to earn anything yet and are still learning.

By spoiling and pandering to kids we are becoming a nation of weenies, in fact when I was in army basic they were saying its getting really difficult to train young people into the military.
From my wedding vows; ''forsaking all other remain true to him/her as long as you both shall live''.
Sounds pretty clear to me. We chose each other, ''for better or worse, in sickness and in health,
as long as we both shall live. I swore to that with God, and my wife. That made it a covenant. I
have to choose my wife. I promised God, and her, that I would. End of discussion, for me anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 07:38 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,200,844 times
All the people posting who don't actually have children are in capable of understanding the love a parent feels for their child. It's not a criticism - just a fact. Before I had my child, I couldn't imagine the love I could feel for my son. So you can say how you "would" or "might" feel until the cows come home - but it really doesn't mean anything unless you actually have children. I don't have siblings - I can say how I "would" or "might" feel about them - but at the end of the day, I have absolutely no clue because they don't exist.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 AM

677 posts, read 1,194,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Why? What part of merely being the child entitles that same child to ascend to the top of the totem pole?

Personally, I don't want kids so this has never been much of an issue for me, but even in that hypothetical situation I would not be too happy with someone who was openly willing to state that I was second place beyond the kids.
You can always replace your partner, even though some people also do that with their children.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:48 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,464,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
All the people posting who don't actually have children are in capable of understanding the love a parent feels for their child. It's not a criticism - just a fact. Before I had my child, I couldn't imagine the love I could feel for my son. So you can say how you "would" or "might" feel until the cows come home - but it really doesn't mean anything unless you actually have children. I don't have siblings - I can say how I "would" or "might" feel about them - but at the end of the day, I have absolutely no clue because they don't exist.
I don't have kids, but even I know that the people who are trying to argue that sex creates a stronger bond than growing, birthing, and nurturing a child don't know what they're' talking about.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:55 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,588,017 times
man and woman can make new kids, man and kids can't make new wife...

that said I'm not sure that'd be the reasoning if i was standing in the middle and both parties were about to fall off opposide side of a skyscraper I was standing on...

Old 07-13-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
man and woman can make new kids, man and kids can't make new wife...

that said I'm not sure that'd be the reasoning if i was standing in the middle and both parties were about to fall off opposide side of a skyscraper I was standing on...
Children aren't replaceable. You can't lose one and then just make another one and be okay.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:14 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,464,488 times
IIRC, that's the official position of the Catholic Church in such matters. Not that children can be replaced, but that in a life or death situation the mother is more valuable to the family than a child. That's assuming that things are as they were in days of yore when people died more easily and more often, and when childbirth could often be deadly.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:27 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,310,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Maybe you can't understand is because you don't have a sibling. I am the father of two 'kids' and an active grandfather of two grand kids. None of them could have been possible without my wife. My mother lost 5 children, my brother and I lived. She also stayed married for 50 years (three of my father's sisters were married 50 years also). She would have chosen my dad. She told me the spouse came first.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Maybe you can't understand is because you don't have a sibling. I am the father of two 'kids' and an active grandfather of two grand kids. None of them could have been possible without my wife. My mother lost 5 children, my brother and I lived. She also stayed married for 50 years (three of my father's sisters were married 50 years also). She would have chosen my dad. She told me the spouse came first.
Well, from your other posts - your feelings seem to be dictated by your religion. Mine are not.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:29 AM

117 posts, read 61,159 times
I remember when my father died my mother's friend told her, be thankful it wasn't any of your children. Dads no. 2 on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships