Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 01:07 AM

102,329 posts, read 108,547,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Didn't a monkey go into space, just sayin.
It wasn't another (non-human) animal that sent him there, that was the question.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:23 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,246,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It wasn't another (non-human) animal that sent him there, that was the question.

I know but I thought that was funny, seriously though, its less than 1/10 of 1% of humans that have the intellect nessicary to design/build sky scrapers and send men to the moon. Majority of people are animalistic at least when it comes to dating/mating.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 AM

947 posts, read 1,190,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Indeed the, 'it's natural and thus acceptable because animals do it' argument would mean we would have to do other things animals do and accept them, like commit murder and infanticide.

Yup. If we were all slaves to our "animalistic instincts," then there'd be a lot of nude people exposing themselves in public and being sent to jail for it.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:52 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,246,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
Yup. If we were all slaves to our "animalistic instincts," then there'd be a lot of nude people exposing themselves in public and being sent to jail for it.
The only reason men dont kill each other over women is because its illegal and there are consequences if one does that. In reality there is no better way to eliminate competition than by killing your opponent.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM

13,704 posts, read 9,806,354 times
Most people aren't special. That holds true for dating, as for scientific research or designing skyscrapers or performing profoundly altruistic acts. Without getting too philosophical here, I'd opine that most people are not preternaturally evil, but they are shiftless, unimaginative, timid and guided more by instinct and emotion than anything aspiring to critical thinking.

And yet, we have 7 billion people walking around. Most of them arrived here courtesy of somebody having sex. Most people in fact do pair up, even if they're under 5'4", don't lift weights, don't drive sports cars and exude awkward body language in social situations. Pondering the self-improvement and preparation ostensibly necessary for successful dating, I'm overcome with confusion: if it's THAT complicated, home come most people manage just fine? Most people can't write a decent poem, fix their car, or even file their form-1040 without professional help. And yet they manage to find a mate, become intimate, stay together (at least most of the time), even raise families. The hardest and most daunting tasks are somehow fulfilled, while comparatively simple things, like crafting a sonnet or replacing a stretched timing-chain, are far more rarely accomplished. How can this be?

One can't help concluding that humans successfully mate because, well, they successfully rely on animal instinct. All these sophisticated missives on preparing oneself and wearing proper shoes and slacks, fixing one's teeth, driving a Porsche, learning tango or French or how to play guitar, memorizing pickup lines, scoping out the most favorable nightclub - really, all that we're doing is supplanting with practiced craft what nature intended by instinct! And why so often do we fail? Because instinct is very deep, very difficult to foil or supersede. The artifices of the practiced mind can never contravene practiced nature.

Why the bromide, that "there is someone out there for everyone"? There isn't really. Instead, the supposition goes, that the awkward slouching guy with unsymmetrical face and unshaven cheeks, the one who's too flustered to string two words together, whose socks don't match and whose laces flap about untied - this miscreant of nature will on some fortuitous occasion suddenly not be so awkward, and will suddenly click with some receptive young lady. Not that she's in any sense optimal for him, or he for her, or that some fateful hand has brought them into mutually portentous moment. But that, to abuse the adage, even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut, not from searching the harder or compensating for blindness by acuteness of other senses, but simply by being there. Nature has a way of making this happen. Otherwise there wouldn't be 7 billion of us.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

Why the bromide, that "there is someone out there for everyone"? There isn't really. Instead, the supposition goes, that the awkward slouching guy with unsymmetrical face and unshaven cheeks, the one who's too flustered to string two words together, whose socks don't match and whose laces flap about untied - this miscreant of nature will on some fortuitous occasion suddenly not be so awkward, and will suddenly click with some receptive young lady. Not that she's in any sense optimal for him, or he for her, or that some fateful hand has brought them into mutually portentous moment. But that, to abuse the adage, even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut, not from searching the harder or compensating for blindness by acuteness of other senses, but simply by being there. Nature has a way of making this happen. Otherwise there wouldn't be 7 billion of us.
Wow. I hadn't noticed your writing skills before. You should write a book! Or become a columnist for a newspaper.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:18 AM

52,417 posts, read 52,947,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauragon C. Mikado View Post
Ok so if you just so happen to be one of those 5'4 guys, naturally thin, nerdy with neither a great job or car what now?

(An objective observation)
From what I've observed in our world it's that very tall men with very healthy builds and good jobs gain access to highly attractive females. Your average male on the other hand is 5'8 with so-so body and an ok job. The average/beta male has to compete with many men daily just to get either an average or below average female.

In theory I believe the omega male doesn't compete at all. The lowest ranked female picks which omega mae she'll breed with and/or start a relationship with. Chance are the male will accept her because he can't do better meaning neither of them will be happy.

What needs to happen I think is that the omega needs to find some way to gain muscles mass. It's ok to love your body but females simply do not accept short males that are skinny. It's a sad reality that we have to accept larger women but society craps on the skinny short guy. Secondly he has to hide his anti-social nerdy side with anti-social masculinity. Appearing dominant and masculine is bound to attract females. Lastly if you don't have a great job or car you can't date women ranking between 6-10.

Now one could say love can fight the differences but that's NOT true. Love is chemical reactions and nothing more. We pick out mates based on primitive instincts sadly.
What you need to do is get a better understanding of what "male" types you're talking about. You're describing the "beta" type more. The Omega type is what I consider to be more ideal than the the Alphas or Betas.

Not that I actually even give **** about these labels, just sayin....

Urban Dictionary: omega male

Back to your issue.

You find yourself the equivalent female version of yourself......

Sad to say but if you're shorter than average, don't have much in the way of money or social skills...

Surely there is a female version of that.....

Old 05-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Not that I actually even give **** about these labels, just sayin....

Urban Dictionary: omega male
Funny thing about trying to find any truly scientific information on the Alpha-beta-omega thing. It doesn't exist. All that comes up on an internet search are blogs by guys trying to sound erudite while twisting the theory to suit their bias. Surprise, surprise.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,481,174 times
Quote:
Cold truth is you wouldn't know the truth if it fell on you from 10 floors up. We have a couple of guys on the forum who fell in love with some gorgeous overweight women. There's an infinite variety of preferences in the world. There's no such thing as "always", or "all" men/women when speaking about mate selection. Some women have no interest in breeding, so they don't care what genes a guy has in his pool. What many women care about is a guy's personality, because if they want kids, they want to know the guy will stick around and be nurturing. If they don't want kids, they at least want to be sure the guy won't kill them. They want a guy who will be good company and who will be loyal. They go for short guys with bubbly personalities, among others.
I infer from this that you're implying you have some objective monopoly on truth that Dauragon does not have. You seem to speak to him with air on condescension and superiority. You go further to suggest what afflictions or sufferings would be good from him as just punishment for his erring wickedness (or heresy). You would happen to be an Inquisitor of the Holy Office would you?

Some claim homosexuals that have HIV/AIDS are reaping the just punishments for their wicked views and acts in sex. I don't see much asymmetry in your condemnation of Daurangon from those that have malicious feelings for homosexuals that acquire HIV through sexual intercourse.

Whether one subscribes to Daurangon's views or not his commentary, at least much of it, tends to be the prevailing view among scientist that study sexual selection.

It perhaps should be stated here--since sexual selection is tied into the Theory of Evolution--that the creationists offer some valid points (of criticism) about the Theory of Evolution. And I'm a subscriber to the Theory of Evolution as it seems to be the best explanation for both the unity and diversity of all life on earth.

Yet, I suspect that many if not most of those mocking Dauragon or scorning him, would express the symmetrical umbrage at anyone that claimed either a belief in Intelligent Design + Evolutionary Theory or Intelligent Design + the fixity of species. I subscribe to the former. However, do not most atheist subscribe solely to to the Theory of Evolution with no Intelligent Designer? This view leads to the basic proposition that humans are no more special than any other form of life including single cell bacteria, that humans in their entirety can be studied and reduced to facts and sum of statistical data like any other life form on earth. And current trends in the life science of neuroscience which promotes the hypothesis that Free Will is an illusion and determinism is the rule, only further exacerbates this reductive view of the human animal.

People are not really arguing with Dauragon's science based views. They are attacking him as a heretic espousing a conception of "what women want" that violates the prevailing views sympathetic to women being inherently more moral than men and victims of patriarchy. In this conception the male is merely both immoral and a weakling if he can not sweep a woman offer her feet with his smile and "personality."

Personally, I agree with you to a certain extent on some things, and I agree with Dauragon on some things. I don't deny humans are animals. I don't deny we are anatomically and genetically similar to apes. And I think Sexual Selection as a theory has some explanatory power. However, I think humans are special on earth--and possibly in the universe--and I think our ability for culture and spirituality reflected in prayer, meditation, art, and just deep reflection allows us to surpass our basic animal limitations when it comes to drives. I don't think we are just driven by instincts. So, you and I would agree on that I think.

Nonetheless, Sexual Selection theory does provide a rational explanation, a framework of sorts, as to why some males will succeed in mating better than others.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:36 AM

52,417 posts, read 52,947,427 times
Quote:
Funny thing about trying to find any truly scientific information on the Alpha-beta-omega thing. It doesn't exist. All that comes up on an internet search are blogs by guys trying to sound erudite while twisting the theory to suit their bias. Surprise, surprise.
Actually it's funny you mention this, cause usually all the self proclaimed "Alpha Males" are usually just obnoxious azzholes that I wouldn't want to have anything to do with... Real "Alpha Males" types, which I've only met a few are men that get it done, inspire others, and are humble about it. These kind of guys you'd follow into battle, as it were.

Again, if I were so inclined to subscribe labels like such as those......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.