Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,797,923 times

Advertisements

Jasper03, I don't know. It's possible that they are still confused about how they feel about each other. It sounds like it. Not that it's good to stay in the state forever (which they are doing) but neither of them have to strength or clarity to do anything one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 11:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 70,121,445 times
I don't buy the "religious reasons" because in most of these bad marriages, there is adultery and abuse and just about all the religions allow for divorce. Some might not allow for remarriage but adultery is certainly a reason to end a marriage.

I think some stay in bad marriage because they're accustomed enough to it, what scares them is living alone.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,061,193 times
I don't think they are confused about anything. Mom says dad is around to call 911 in case she falls down and can't get up and dad just has nowhere to go really. I wish they could work out their issues but I'm out of it. I hate going over there and watching my mom take shots at him. Though he was an absolute cretin it's like kicking an old half-dead dog...pointless and it just makes the kicker look bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Jasper03, I don't know. It's possible that they are still confused about how they feel about each other. It sounds like it. Not that it's good to stay in the state forever (which they are doing) but neither of them have to strength or clarity to do anything one way or another.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:08 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,061,193 times
+1 Yep, scared people who think it's better to live together in misery than stand on their own two feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't buy the "religious reasons" because in most of these bad marriages, there is adultery and abuse and just about all the religions allow for divorce. Some might not allow for remarriage but adultery is certainly a reason to end a marriage.

I think some stay in bad marriage because they're accustomed enough to it, what scares them is living alone.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:12 AM

15,851 posts, read 35,321,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
I could never believe she would have the strength to leave the guy who happened to be my sperm donor.
It sounds to me like your father did a fine job of supporting you throughout your life. It sounds like he was very capable at making money which, I presume, kept you fed, housed, and clothed. Calling him a sperm donor just because he and your mother did not get along is not fair.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 AM

677 posts, read 1,199,477 times
I just wished my father would find a woman who wouldn't put up with his bullying. I would pay to see the fireworks.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It sounds to me like your father did a fine job of supporting you throughout your life. It sounds like he was very capable at making money which, I presume, kept you fed, housed, and clothed. Calling him a sperm donor just because he and your mother did not get along is not fair.
And so what?? Am I supposed to apologise for being born? And supporting us financially doesn't clean up the neglect and psychological abuse.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 70,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
My parents have been married for over 40 years and I wish they would get divorced. They have been openly expressing their contempt for each other since I was a child. They haven't slept in the same room since I was 9-years-old. They NEVER go anywhere together and they don't even like the same T.V shows much less have any kind of common interests. At first mom said she was doing it for us (though we begged her to divorce) and dad is just too lazy to file. Now, mom takes a perverse pleasure in punishing dad and holding it over his head that she really is the only person on Earth he has. Dad wasn't very nice so we don't have much to do with him, he has no friends, and lost contact with his family years ago. I still speak to him out of pity but my siblings are harder than I am. One of my sisters won't even call on b-days or holidays and we all live in the same city.
Which makes me think she prefers being married to being alone. Misery loves company sometimes.

A friend's parents supposedly had a bad marriage and the mother felt their father mistreated her the whole marriage. They never divorced though and when they were in their 80's, they would sit together in the same room and bicker about everything. If she thought the sky was blue, he would think it was green.

Then he died and she stood at his casket getting in the last word, she told him "maybe God will forgive you for how you treated me but I don't know if I will" arguing with him as they closed the casket. She missed him terribly until she also died a couple years later. She didn't like being alone. After he died, she would sit alone in silence.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
She missed him terribly until she also died a couple years later. She didn't like being alone. After he died, she would sit alone in silence.
But that's typical of older people. My grandfather kept mistresses for more than 40 years and he still gets teary eyed if you mention my grandmother (she died 6 years ago).

Old 04-06-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I don't think they are confused about anything. Mom says dad is around to call 911 in case she falls down and can't get up and dad just has nowhere to go really. I wish they could work out their issues but I'm out of it. I hate going over there and watching my mom take shots at him. Though he was an absolute cretin it's like kicking an old half-dead dog...pointless and it just makes the kicker look bad.
People like that really deserve to die like dogs, no doubt. I hope that's what happens to my sperm donor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships