Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:19 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,729,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I interpret it as an innocent question. I would ask most people that I was having a basic conversation with. "Big plans this evening?" Or "What are you up to tonight; anything fun?" Something like that.

Guess I need to rethink that. lol
I do the same thing. For me it's a matter of trying to get to know the person by seeing what they do for fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 08:31 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,608,960 times
aye I have the same problem, how do you know if the conversation has gone from "she is being friendly too she is looking for something more"?

Naturally if she is interested in "something more" she will be friendly but just because she is friendly does not mean she is interseted in you Romantically-she could just be nice, or just see you as a friend and nothing more. Is there anyway to tell without out right asking?

I am as of 10/25/12 having this issue right now with a girl in my class. I am intersted, i enjoy talking to her, her to me but is it just casual conversation or is there something more?

Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,413,269 times
Ok, while we're tossing scenarios out there, maybe you folks can help with this case involving one of the dads from my daughter's soccer & basketball team.

"Megan's" dad was always at the soccer practices and games. I would smile and say hello to him along with the rest of the moms and dads when I would arrive with my kids, but for the most part, I kept to myself because I was busy chasing my youngest around the field. Occasionally I would talk with the other moms or dads if they were near me with their little ones, but for the most part, my boys kept me preoccupied and I never had any conversations with Megan's dad.

This past June after practice, I stopped for fast food with the kids. I had to pull up and wait for my order when I heard a honk along side of me. I looked and Megan's dad had pulled up along side of my vehicle. Initially all I was going to do was wave because that's what I would have done with any of the other moms from the team and considering I've never really spoken to this guy, I didn't think he'd have anything to say. My mistake. His window was rolled down and he was clearly looking to speak with me. I was at a loss for words because I felt like this came out of nowhere.

Initially I chalked it up to him just being friendly because I figured he was married to Megan's mom whom was often at the games and basketball practice. (Plus I'm assuming he knows I'm married.) Occasionally Megan's mom would show up with another man, but I assumed it was her brother because I never saw them being affectionate (and they kind of resembled each other...they're both about 5'5" whereas Megan's dad is 6'4" or so) and she was always amicable with Megan's father. It wasn't until this past weekend at a soccer game when I noticed Megan's mom was being affectionate with the guy whom I thought was her brother and Megan left the game with just her dad. So now it's clear he's no longer with Megan's mom and apparently hasn't been with her as long as I've known them.

What do you guys think? Friendly or flirt? (I've already presented my husband with this question and he didn't know what to think either.)

Old 10-25-2012, 08:57 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,600,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post
No. Unless of course he's not good at it, then I don't know.

You can tell by body language, context which phrases can be used and any granting of certain privilege or being privy to special information.

The problem with men is that sometimes they're so eager for a go ahead from you that they'll read any sign of friendliness as "flirting".
I agree, especially with the part I bolded. More often than not, I can tell the difference with decent accuracy. It's not so much what she says (although that still matters), it's how she says it and expresses it. Although some people are very subtle with their flirting and in that case I may have a hard time. I usually assume "friendly" until I get fairly clear signals that make me re-think my assumption. And some other women deliberately do not flirt or give any signals at all, even if she is interested in the guy.

It's also worth noting that even if someone IS flirting, that doesn't necessarily mean that she is interested in you romantically. Some people flirt just for fun.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:04 AM

17,645 posts, read 22,675,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Ok, while we're tossing scenarios out there, maybe you folks can help with this case involving one of the dads from my daughter's soccer & basketball team.

"Megan's" dad was always at the soccer practices and games. I would smile and say hello to him along with the rest of the moms and dads when I would arrive with my kids, but for the most part, I kept to myself because I was busy chasing my youngest around the field. Occasionally I would talk with the other moms or dads if they were near me with their little ones, but for the most part, my boys kept me preoccupied and I never had any conversations with Megan's dad.

This past June after practice, I stopped for fast food with the kids. I had to pull up and wait for my order when I heard a honk along side of me. I looked and Megan's dad had pulled up along side of my vehicle. Initially all I was going to do was wave because that's what I would have done with any of the other moms from the team and considering I've never really spoken to this guy, I didn't think he'd have anything to say. My mistake. His window was rolled down and he was clearly looking to speak with me. I was at a loss for words because I felt like this came out of nowhere.

Initially I chalked it up to him just being friendly because I figured he was married to Megan's mom whom was often at the games and basketball practice. (Plus I'm assuming he knows I'm married.) Occasionally Megan's mom would show up with another man, but I assumed it was her brother because I never saw them being affectionate (and they kind of resembled each other...they're both about 5'5" whereas Megan's dad is 6'4" or so) and she was always amicable with Megan's father. It wasn't until this past weekend at a soccer game when I noticed Megan's mom was being affectionate with the guy whom I thought was her brother and Megan left the game with just her dad. So now it's clear he's no longer with Megan's mom and apparently hasn't been with her as long as I've known them.

What do you guys think? Friendly or flirt? (I've already presented my husband with this question and he didn't know what to think either.)
Probably flirt. He might think your a single mom. Or he's hoping...

Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Probably flirt. He might think your a single mom. Or he's hoping...
In my mind, what man wants a woman with 3 kids in tow!?! LOL

Old 10-25-2012, 09:12 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,158,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
In my mind, what man wants a woman with 3 kids in tow!?! LOL
Hopefully her husband.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:18 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,158,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
If a man you know quite well asks "What perfume you wear" you say and he says "Smells nice, thats all!!!" Is he flirting or being friendly?

Would a man ask a woman what her perfunme was just being friendly,????

Guys?????? Answers please.
In my case i'd be being friendly. Remember most men don't realise that perfumes smell differently on different people *waves hand, I didn't*. I've asked a woman that before (who smelt great) and bought some for my wife who then gave it to her cousin....

Such are the vagaries of my existence.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Hopefully her husband.
Ohhh, there are days where my husband would rather leave this woman behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
In my case i'd be being friendly. Remember most men don't realise that perfumes smell differently on different people *waves hand, I didn't*. I've asked a woman that before (who smelt great) and bought some for my wife who then gave it to her cousin....

Such are the vagaries of my existence.
Unfortunately you never know until you try!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,020,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Yes you should. I see this ONLY from women who apparently can't resist prying into someone's life just to be friendly. It is poor form for a stranger or acquaintance (which would include most work colleagues) unless they want to go out. Otherwise it's cheap voyeurism, nosy and presumptuous (that I would share personal details with a stranger).
Wow. You have issues...
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I do the same thing. For me it's a matter of trying to get to know the person by seeing what they do for fun.
Exactly. They'll only tell you what they want to tell you, so not sure what the issue is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships