Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:31 PM

409 posts, read 255,021 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I'm new here and I did a search and found no threads in regards to this article so if this is a double posting I apologize.

http://on.msnbc.com/AbM2iP (broken link)

Do you guys agree with the study? It seems to be a pretty thorough study since it states that: "The researchers analyzed the data from some 90 previous studies, which included about 500 million people, and compared the risk of mortality for singles from those studies — defined as those who never married — to that of a married group, excluding those who are divorced or widowed."

Last edited by elnina; 02-21-2012 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: Fixed the link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 10:41 PM

61,922 posts, read 87,512,332 times
Yeah... may... or may not!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:13 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,688,465 times
The link was broken.

Single people may die younger, new study finds - Health - Behavior - msnbc.com

I thought this was old news?

Well, I knew it already from previous studies. I didn't, however, know that single people die a whole decade earlier than married people.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,975,573 times
I look at it as married people suffer longer.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:46 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,210,120 times
It's because they have nobody to vent to/relieve stress with. Duh. If you think about it, you lose about a year and a half of life for every decade you're single. That sucks.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:49 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,688,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I look at it as married people suffer longer.
You could also say that you'd have to save less money for retirement. lol

Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,174,248 times
They tend to take a job and chances that puts them more at risk. That's about all it can be.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,865,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
Do you guys agree with the study?
I agree with it. If you are living alone and keel over, there is no one to call an ambulance. You will likely die younger, as a result. This has nothing to do with the supposed benefits of being married, just having someone around to call. This probably explains why wealthy people live longer too. All those servants around who are worried about losing their jobs.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:29 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,003,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
It's because they have nobody to vent to/relieve stress with. Duh. If you think about it, you lose about a year and a half of life for every decade you're single. That sucks.
Actually, venting and relieving stress is part of it, but there is far more.

You'll also find that just looking at the average doesn't tell the whole story. Married couples have a "wider spread" than single folks. That means the "center point" or average for married couples is higher. That part was known way back in the '60s, that married couples live longer.

But, someone noticed that some married couples don't live any longer than single folks, while others live into their 90s and beyond. There was a study done a few years ago to try to identify what factors made the difference. The interaction and inter-dependence were expected to be important factors, but one of the things that was a major factor was sexual activity. Couples that were more active, more often, lived longer and had a better quality of life. Couples that were less active had more medical problems and didn't live as long.

What the study did not identify was whether it was the overall health of the couples that determined how sexually active they were of if the sexual activity determined the overall health. So it could have been that the frequency of sexual activity indicated better overall health to begin with. However.....

Off the record, a couple of the researchers suggest that, when looking at how exercise affects such things as heart health and diabetes, and how sexual activity measures up with walking, jogging, running, or working out in a gym, the frequency of sexual activity may well be THE major factor.

Sorry, I do not have a link for you folks. It's been more than a year since I read anything about that. But, if you look, I believe you may find it. I got to it from a news article on MSNBC, online.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,925,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Oh, so single people don't have family, friends, or girlfriends/boyfriends to vent to/relieve stress with? Hmm...

Also, married people, especially married men, are almost always under constant pressure to provide for their families which drastically increases stress levels. Single people don't really have that level of responsibility so the claim that married people live longer because they have less pent up stress as a result of having someone to talk to is absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited by bicoastal10; 02-21-2012 at 01:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships