Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 AM

16,074 posts, read 28,651,851 times

Advertisements

I don't beleive single die younger, but people are dying younger, from all the freak'n stress in our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:37 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,870,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
Hey guys I'm new here and I did a search and found no threads in regards to this article so if this is a double posting I apologize.

Single]Single people may die younger, new study finds - Health - Behavior - msnbc.com people may die younger, new study finds - Health - Behavior - msnbc.com

Do you guys agree with the study? It seems to be a pretty thorough study since it states that: "The researchers analyzed the data from some 90 previous studies, which included about 500 million people, and compared the risk of mortality for singles from those studies — defined as those who never married — to that of a married group, excluding those who are divorced or widowed."
An author named Bella De Paulo has been doing studies on this subject and found it complete nonsense. She wrote a whole book about the discrimination single people experience in society, coined "singlism" and has been writing articles about it ever since. She found that a lot of the propaganda enforced against single people was complete nonsense, forced by the matrimania-attitude media. After all, what would the wedding industry do to make money if single living became the norm?

Old 02-21-2012, 07:49 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,629,039 times
Well, its the irony of life as we know it. Married men, sit there hoping for quick death, but instead their suffering lasts the longest. How wonderful.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:39 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,992,156 times
Then there's the Hugh Hefner factor. I would think money is a big consideration. the more money a person has the more options they have.. A rich married man has to constantly be on the look out for a divorce.. A single man at best has to be on the look out for paternity issues.. That married man is under constant stress.. Let's not go into the stress of Super Bowl Sunday for many married men..

Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 PM

409 posts, read 255,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkumat View Post
A recent study showed that people who believe such studies are not really bright.

BTW, this seems like a big forum. Is there a single person here who conducts such studies? I mean, i would just reaaaaly like to meet a person who gets paid to do such a useless job. Maybe someone got a friend of a friend who does that?
you seem almost offended...

Old 02-21-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
how could this be true.

the married people that i know are almost always more stressed because they have familied to support and they have less opportunities because they're tied down.

not to mention all the fighting, resentments etc.

also by single do you mean not married.. or a hermit who lives in isolation?
I couldn't believe it either because all my married friends seem miserable or bored... but a study of 500 million couples is pretty big number to ignore

Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I don't beleive single die younger, but people are dying younger, from all the freak'n stress in our society.
I don't think people are dying younger at least from statistics

Old 02-21-2012, 07:15 PM

22,458 posts, read 29,644,267 times
Oh that's great. I guess my two hours a day in the gym and my $3000+ on lingerie and heels is a waste

Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 PM

355 posts, read 617,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
you're kidding, right?
Not at all. I really think that conducting a research of such kind (provided that it's real and reliable) costs a whole lot of money and i just don't see any practical use for it. Sure, some people may use it for, say, marketing research, but i just seriously doubt that it may cover the costs of such study. Perhaps there's something i'm missing, so please explain.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:04 PM

355 posts, read 617,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
you seem almost offended...
Maybe a little bit)) It's just that i hear people using the "recent studies" argument all the time and i have never actually met a single person who would conduct studies like that. Therefore i tend to think that it's all just a bunch of BS. I honestly do see such studies as useless so they are either: A) not true B) wasting taxpayers money. And i do get offended when people try to either BS me or rob me)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships