Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 05:24 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times

Advertisements

I think it rings true that women go through most of their trouble to impress other women, not men (I especially think this is true for eyebrow-plucking!) They'd probably disagree with that, but as a guy, I think I've heard enough unedited input from other guys about what they want in a woman, ahem! True that we want a pretty face, but I don't think makeup makes that much of a difference. Plus I think there's some sort of a psychological barrier when you put up that PHYSICAL barrier of lipstick, not sure...

It's much like lying about your age. It might attract the man to you but under false pretenses. He needs to know what you're going to look like the morning after, BEFORE the morning after.

Now to be a hypocrite.

If a woman wants to put on makeup before a formal occasion like a dinner party, let her! It only makes you look luckier (even if it makes you look uglier).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 05:26 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,359,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I don't wear makeup. It's a matter of social status. I don't pluck my (beautiful Native American) eyebrows, either...or have skanky painted nails. I was 'adopted' by a group of aristocratic white girls, as a college Freshman. I'd grown up in an abandoned Sharecropper's shack without running water, and really knew nothing (except that the people in my old 'community' were not to be emulated).

They taught me about a lot of basic things, like Hair Conditioner. And, sensing that I was, like them, destined to escape the South...and to become upper-middle-class, at the very least (we were all poor, at that little third-rate school), they told me what NOT to do. Makeup was on that list. I kind of knew it was not for girls like me...mostly from reading the New Yorker.

Anyway, my packaging helped DH & me fit among the Volvo-driving Intelligentsia. And the fact that my makeup-free status was combined with extreme fitness (bodybuilding/diet/vitamins), fine clothing (one used to be able to buy fine returned/damaged Italian clothing at pennies on the Dollar) and important jewelry (DH befriended budding jewelry designers), really set me apart as a person of quality, going places. Had I been painted up like a hooker, as most Southern women are, we would not have been accepted into the high circles at the University (and, after our initial degrees, in the State Capital).

I doubt I would have been placed in management, straight from school, had I not looked 'serious'.

Who are you gonna hire to oversee a bunch of other women in your office? The Kewpie Doll wearing little Diamond Earrings, little Diamond this, little Diamond that (all of it badly-designed, and featuring tiny diamonds)? Hire the one with the teased hair, the Cleopatra eyes, and what appear to be bruises painted on her cheeks? With the long, skanky nails?

Or would you hire the one with the straight hair, the Chanel-type suit, and one important-looking piece: a Coral & Tanzanite necklace (followed, at the second interview, by an objet d'art in gold-leafed Papier Mache, worn on a silk cord)? Actually, VIPs passing through offices I worked while in school would stop to remark on my jewelry, exchange a few sentences with me, then hand me their cards. "You're moving to Jackson when y'all graduate? Call me first!"

But I realize that you're talking about guys and desire here. Well, being able to hit the ground running in the morning, without all those makeup distractions, frees a lot of time for exercise. When the experts say "beauty comes from the inside", they are talking about the refinement of silhouette, and the skin quality, that come from being healthy and fit.

Guys find me extremely attractive...particularly extremely attractive guys. The nebbishy little ugly, insecure guys from cultures which devalue women....not so much (you know, the ones with the "I'm a guy! It shouldn't matter how I look" kind of attitude...those little zhlubs want the makeup and the ho-nails and the silicone bags). But the big, gorgeous guys in gyms? Powerful executives? Building contractors? Ranchers we meet at rodeos? Hotties in Malibu & Aspen? Yeah! They know I'm 46 & married, and STILL, they (politely and respectfully) let me know that anytime I wanna play.... It's always nice to hear.

To put it another way, the guys whose looks and virility have, since adolescence, put them in a position to have lots of actual sex with women, are unimpressed with grease paint and lacquered claws. They are impressed with fitness, because, from experience, they have learned to appreciate women who can enthusiastically and athletically make love with them for hours-on-end.

What guy in his right mind would want a gal whose face would smear all over his necktie and his shirt? ...or his sheets? I mean, if women are repulsed by greaseball guys whose hair ruins upholstery, then why should guys want these living oil paintings... perpetually un-dry oil paintings, at that?

When we still lived in Mississippi, I think that there were a lot of negative reactions to my makeup-free status. But they were from women. Mississippi's is a Celtic culture...one which places enormous value on conformity. It is the 'norm' there, for women to paint themselves up. So, the bitter divorcees staffing the 'exclusive' shops, the little hoodrats working the checkout lanes at the big box stores.... generally, women who were not pulling down six or seven figure salaries... those women gave me dirty looks. I'm sure they told themselves they resented me because I "looked like a Lesbian". But that is just what they were telling themselves. I think that at the bottom of their negative perception was resentment of one who was not trapped in the same hopeless game they were playing. My look said "Boss Lady", and how dare someone as little and dark as myself be the Boss Lady?

(Of course, it didn't help, when some big, hot dude was eyeing me, then his wife, and obviously thinking "Daaaaaaaamn! I could ride that fit filly all night long...If I wasn't stuck with this bloated 'art project' of a wife...". And I'd be looking back at him like "Daaaaaaamn! I could ride a big stud horse like that all night long...If I weren't a happily married lady." ...and his wife is standing there, thinking "But my hair and nails are PERFECT! Why would you want a woman like that? You can see her muscles through that Chanel skirt! I hate her! I bet she's one of those LESBIANS!!! And I bet that big ol' gaudy Diamond is a fake, too!)
Pikantari is that ^^^^ you? What the hell ..is all i can say lmfao .

Old 01-13-2012, 05:26 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Ummm, GrandviewGloria...with all due respect, I have known dozens and dozens of super made-up looking women in high positions in companies. Including owning them...being the VP...Sorry. I think you're incorrect with that.

I also think the last paragraph happened in your own mind, but that's just my feeling on it. If you're happy with your look why would you need to spin a whole spiteful mini-quarrel between an unknown husband and wife over how great you look? That to me screams insecurity...and just as wearing makeup can't magically give one a sense of self-worth, eschewing makeup can't magically give one a sense of self-worth. It sounds like there's so much going on for you beyond makeup where it comes to self-worth.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:30 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,359,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Ummm, GrandviewGloria...with all due respect, I have known dozens and dozens of super made-up looking women in high positions in companies. Including owning them...being the VP...Sorry. I think you're incorrect with that.

I also think the last paragraph happened in your own mind, but that's just my feeling on it. If you're happy with your look why would you need to spin a whole spiteful mini-quarrel between an unknown husband and wife over how great you look? That to me screams insecurity...and just as wearing makeup can't magically give one a sense of self-worth, eschewing makeup can't magically give one a sense of self-worth. It sounds like there's so much going on for you beyond makeup where it comes to self-worth.
Dont know about you but this is the image i got from that post:

Not good...to be honest

Old 01-13-2012, 05:35 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Dont know about you but this is the image i got from that post:

Not good...to be honest
And she is wearing make-up!

Old 01-13-2012, 05:35 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
I like makeup best when a woman knows how to apply it in such a way that it improves her appearance but you can't tell she's wearing it, or it looks natural enough that you don't really notice the makeup. Subtlety is key, for me at least.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:46 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,555,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarlm View Post

LOL.

Here's a video (a make-up tutorial) where sceptical men can see for themselves how light or natural-looking make-up can conceal imperfections and enhance specific facial features:

Natural Beauty - YouTube

Old 01-13-2012, 05:52 PM

156 posts, read 694,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, do you ever shave,
Only when the facial hair becomes uncomfortable.

Quote:
cut your hair,
During the summer, because I sweat a lot as it is, and shorter hair helps some. Or when I feel uncomfortable from my hair.

[qupte]put on clothing that isn't just undyed cloth with tubes where your arms and legs need to go?[/quote]

Society requires I wear clothing, so I do. I grew up in a family where labels mattered, but now I mainly shop at Costco or I buy clothes second hand on eBay.

Quote:
Do you shave and groom your sideburns rather than letting them bush out everywhere?
I've been balding since I was in my late teens, so this isn't an issue. I do cut them when I shave my beard.

Quote:
Do you deodorize your underarms?
No, I don't need to. Despite my excessive sweating, I don't have any foul odors.

Quote:
Do any of the things you clean with -- soap, body wash, shampoo -- contain any type of fragrance?
Probably, but I have no idea what they are. Whatever was on sale at Costco when I needed more.

Quote:
Then you're not natural any more either.
"Natural" / "unnatural" is an incoherent distinction used rather arbitrarily by society to name-call things people find acceptable or not. Hell, even *writing* was decried as unnatural and evil when it was first introduced.

I never claimed that wearing makeup made you unnatural, I just quoted someone who claimed they can look natural while wearing makeup. I assumed that "natural", in that case, meant the same as without makeup, and I was questioning how that works... you either wear makeup or you don't. If you do, you're altering wherever you are applying the makeup.

Quote:
I didn't say wearing makeup was natural; I said it could be a natural look and also that it enhances.
This is what I don't understand-- why are you creating a natural look? To enhance your natural beauty? Isn't that just another way of saying "I'm going to wear makeup". I guess what you mean to say is you aren't one of those orange mannequins another poster mentioned earlier in the thread? If so, I understand now.

Quote:
If you truly want an all-natural girl, they exist. Many women wear literally no makeup, don't shave their underarms or legs and don't dress up in any fashion. They're out there so what are you so worried about? Find one of those, don't bother looking at the rest of us and all will be good!
I'm married and already have one. I'm not worried at all-- what makes you suggest that? Well, I guess that's not true: I recently had a baby girl (she's 3 months old now) and I worry that she will be caught up in this american culture that is rampant and will want her ears pierced by 2, makeup by five, bras by 6, and her icons will all be telling her to change her appearance, rather than embrace who you are. And why do they do this? Because there is huge money in it.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:53 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,133,210 times
I dont like makeup, so I dont wear it. I will be 60 next month and Im grateful I didnt wear it as I have been told I look younger than my years. Ditto on hair coloring, my hair has been gray for the past 10 years. So what I earned all those gray hairs on my head LOL.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:56 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,936 times
A little make-up is ok but I hate when they put pounds of it on. it just seems fake to me. I know several ladies who look beautiful without and I find it attractive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships