Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:24 PM

156 posts, read 694,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
My SO doesn't like make-up. He's okay with it if it looks fresh and natural, but he prefers none at all.
So if you wear makeup but look "fresh and natural", why wear makeup? I don't understand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 04:25 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
I wear it too...not excessive and I think it looks natural. I just use powder, mascara, a smidge of eyeshadow, bronzer and lip gloss.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:26 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mephie View Post
So if you wear makeup but look "fresh and natural", why wear makeup? I don't understand...
To enhance. Wasn't that already said?

Also, to even out skin tone if it needs it (I have freckles, for instance); to rosy up a very pale face...etc. I think most of us women here have had the scenario where the males, say, at work all said "Oh I HATE it when women wear makeup!" and then one day the woman didn't wear makeup and all the guys said "Oh my God! Are you sick? Do you want to go sit down?"

Another reason is simply that it's fun to change one's look, just as it's fun to wear different colors and styles, cut your hair differently, etc. It's harmless fun.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:27 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Perfect skills in this area mean doing it in such a way that naive men think it's natural!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
I like a natural look too, that doesn't mean I'm naive enough to think that these 'natural' beauties aren't wearing anything.

Most of all I like women who'll look as good the morning after as they did the night before. For me plastic surgery is ok, because at least it's still gonna be there in contrast to the smeared-off make-up.
I don't know... in all the serious relationships I have had, none of them wore makeup on a daily basis. Perhaps it was because they are European. My wife has never worn any makeup other than clear lipgloss no more than a handful of times.

I don't really look that hard at people, but I recently reconnected with an old friend and looked at her facebook pictures and she is covered in makeup. The other day she said "oh, I can't skype now because I just removed all my makeup. I don't want you to see me looking disgusting." That's confusing.... (and it makes me feel bad that she feels this way)

Old 01-13-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
To enhance. Wasn't that already said?

Also, to even out skin tone if it needs it (I have freckles, for instance); to rosy up a very pale face...etc. I think most of us women here have had the scenario where the males, say, at work all said "Oh I HATE it when women wear makeup!" and then one day the woman didn't wear makeup and all the guys said "Oh my God! Are you sick? Do you want to go sit down?"

Another reason is simply that it's fun to change one's look, just as it's fun to wear different colors and styles, cut your hair differently, etc. It's harmless fun.
But if you're covering up, e.g., freckles, then you aren't natural looking anymore? If you want to do that, fine, but don't pretend that you are natural looking anymore.

I disagree that it is harmless fun, but I don't think it would be useful to argue it.

(I don't mean to attack you in this post)

Old 01-13-2012, 04:40 PM

243 posts, read 547,728 times
http://alexandradal.deviantart.com/

Old 01-13-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
But if you're covering up, e.g., freckles, then you aren't natural looking anymore? If you want to do that, fine, but don't pretend that you are natural looking anymore.
Well, do you ever shave, cut your hair, put on clothing that isn't just undyed cloth with tubes where your arms and legs need to go? Do you shave and groom your sideburns rather than letting them bush out everywhere? Do you deodorize your underarms? Do any of the things you clean with -- soap, body wash, shampoo -- contain any type of fragrance? Then you're not natural any more either. I didn't say wearing makeup was natural; I said it could be a natural look and also that it enhances.

I wouldn't want my man to be "all natural" any more than I'm "all natural". A dude with a beard down to his knees and uncombed hair just isn't my thing.

If you truly want an all-natural girl, they exist. Many women wear literally no makeup, don't shave their underarms or legs and don't dress up in any fashion. They're out there so what are you so worried about? Find one of those, don't bother looking at the rest of us and all will be good!

Old 01-13-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:

I disagree that it is harmless fun, but I don't think it would be useful to argue it.
You can certainly disagree with me. I definitely didn't think you were attacking me! I do think it's harmless fun for me. It may not be for everybody, who knows? You could be right.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:21 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,776,914 times
I don't wear makeup. It's a matter of social status. I don't pluck my (beautiful Native American) eyebrows, either...or have skanky painted nails. I was 'adopted' by a group of aristocratic white girls, as a college Freshman. I'd grown up in an abandoned Sharecropper's shack without running water, and really knew nothing (except that the people in my old 'community' were not to be emulated).

They taught me about a lot of basic things, like Hair Conditioner. And, sensing that I was, like them, destined to escape the South...and to become upper-middle-class, at the very least (we were all poor, at that little third-rate school), they told me what NOT to do. Makeup was on that list. I kind of knew it was not for girls like me...mostly from reading the New Yorker.

Anyway, my packaging helped DH & me fit among the Volvo-driving Intelligentsia. And the fact that my makeup-free status was combined with extreme fitness (bodybuilding/diet/vitamins), fine clothing (one used to be able to buy fine returned/damaged Italian clothing at pennies on the Dollar) and important jewelry (DH befriended budding jewelry designers), really set me apart as a person of quality, going places. Had I been painted up like a hooker, as most Southern women are, we would not have been accepted into the high circles at the University (and, after our initial degrees, in the State Capital).

I doubt I would have been placed in management, straight from school, had I not looked 'serious'.

Who are you gonna hire to oversee a bunch of other women in your office? The Kewpie Doll wearing little Diamond Earrings, little Diamond this, little Diamond that (all of it badly-designed, and featuring tiny diamonds)? Hire the one with the teased hair, the Cleopatra eyes, and what appear to be bruises painted on her cheeks? With the long, skanky nails?

Or would you hire the one with the straight hair, the Chanel-type suit, and one important-looking piece: a Coral & Tanzanite necklace (followed, at the second interview, by an objet d'art in gold-leafed Papier Mache, worn on a silk cord)? Actually, VIPs passing through offices I worked while in school would stop to remark on my jewelry, exchange a few sentences with me, then hand me their cards. "You're moving to Jackson when y'all graduate? Call me first!"

But I realize that you're talking about guys and desire here. Well, being able to hit the ground running in the morning, without all those makeup distractions, frees a lot of time for exercise. When the experts say "beauty comes from the inside", they are talking about the refinement of silhouette, and the skin quality, that come from being healthy and fit.

Guys find me extremely attractive...particularly extremely attractive guys. The nebbishy little ugly, insecure guys from cultures which devalue women....not so much (you know, the ones with the "I'm a guy! It shouldn't matter how I look" kind of attitude...those little zhlubs want the makeup and the ho-nails and the silicone bags). But the big, gorgeous guys in gyms? Powerful executives? Building contractors? Ranchers we meet at rodeos? Hotties in Malibu & Aspen? Yeah! They know I'm 46 & married, and STILL, they (politely and respectfully) let me know that anytime I wanna play.... It's always nice to hear.

To put it another way, the guys whose looks and virility have, since adolescence, put them in a position to have lots of actual sex with women, are unimpressed with grease paint and lacquered claws. They are impressed with fitness, because, from experience, they have learned to appreciate women who can enthusiastically and athletically make love with them for hours-on-end.

What guy in his right mind would want a gal whose face would smear all over his necktie and his shirt? ...or his sheets? I mean, if women are repulsed by greaseball guys whose hair ruins upholstery, then why should guys want these living oil paintings... perpetually un-dry oil paintings, at that?

When we still lived in Mississippi, I think that there were a lot of negative reactions to my makeup-free status. But they were from women. Mississippi's is a Celtic culture...one which places enormous value on conformity. It is the 'norm' there, for women to paint themselves up. So, the bitter divorcees staffing the 'exclusive' shops, the little hoodrats working the checkout lanes at the big box stores.... generally, women who were not pulling down six or seven figure salaries... those women gave me dirty looks. I'm sure they told themselves they resented me because I "looked like a Lesbian". But that is just what they were telling themselves. I think that at the bottom of their negative perception was resentment of one who was not trapped in the same hopeless game they were playing. My look said "Boss Lady", and how dare someone as little and dark as myself be the Boss Lady?

(Of course, it didn't help, when some big, hot dude was eyeing me, then his wife, and obviously thinking "Daaaaaaaamn! I could ride that fit filly all night long...If I wasn't stuck with this bloated 'art project' of a wife...". And I'd be looking back at him like "Daaaaaaamn! I could ride a big stud horse like that all night long...If I weren't a happily married lady." ...and his wife is standing there, thinking "But my hair and nails are PERFECT! Why would you want a woman like that? You can see her muscles through that Chanel skirt! I hate her! I bet she's one of those LESBIANS!!! And I bet that big ol' gaudy Diamond is a fake, too!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships