Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
When it comes to things like lifting, pushups, pullups, running etc... I outperform my husband every time. In an actual fight (sparring), he wins hands down because of his extensive martial arts training. I do a lot more physical activity than him (such as racking my servers), so it's completely understandable that I'm more physically fit and stronger.

Though having a physically stronger female is pretty rare, what isn't entirely rare is for guys to be with a woman who has a stronger personality. To me, that makes for a more interesting case study.
But how do you define "stronger personality?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 05:15 PM

31,013 posts, read 22,051,613 times
Ive had some pretty strong girlfriends but probably none that was stronger than a fit man. Probably stronger than a 25 percentile man. One had a bench press record in College of 205, which is high for most women but not much for an average man who lifts a little. Most men that are in ok shape can lift their body weight, most woman can't

Old 01-09-2012, 08:15 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I know what I am talking about. Show me any woman (who is not married to an invalid), who can beat her husband at:

Arm wrestling
Pull Ups
Push Ups

Again, I exclude cardio activity.
I don't know about arm wrestling, but you are completely off base if you think there are not plenty of very fit women, NOT on steroids, that could easily out pull-up and out push-up a man. There are plenty of men that have never even lifted a dumbbell, much less seen the inside of a gym.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:08 PM

299 posts, read 556,683 times
Just stumbled across this really old thread, but felt I should revive it since I definitely had this situation. My (now ex) wife used to be really strong. Stronger than me? She definitely had stronger legs and I'd say we were probably about equal with arm strength -- but we didn't really go to the gym and do direct comparisons either.

As some other guys said, I was perfectly fine with the body I've got, and was impressed by what she could do with hers. She used to lift weights back in high school but wasn't really going to the gym anymore when we met. She was one of those people with the genetics to build muscle relatively easily, so I think she just stopped working out because too many guys didn't like her being bigger and stronger than they were. Once I convinced her I had no such issue and would actually like to see what she could do -- she seemed kind of relieved, and began showing off her strength occasionally.

I remember one time, I was working at a trade show, where we had a bunch of heavy equipment loaded on this big wooden display cart. To get it wheeled on to the show floor, a couple of big guys got one end lifted up onto a dolly (it only had wheels on one side) and struggled to get it to the right spot. When it was time to pack up and leave, we were running behind. My wife got impatient, waiting outside, and came in the back entrance to see what was taking us so long. When she found out we needed the cart moved back out to the loading dock and that hadn't been done yet -- she went over and lifted one side by herself, and drug it outside without any help! A female co-worker who was helping pack away items in boxes witnessed it and said, "Oh my god! Did you see that? Your wife is STRONG!"

Another time, a guy she knew for years had just gotten back from the military and dropped by to visit. They got into some kind of argument because he didn't believe she could possibly weigh as much as she said she did. (He insisted she couldn't weigh more than 145-150lbs. and she was telling him she was at least 190 -- a few pounds heavier than him.) They went and got the bathroom scale and she showed him she was 193. His jaw dropped and he weighed himself next, and was only 185. Before he could even get back off the scale, she squatted down and stuck her head between his legs, and lifted him up off the ground, onto her shoulders, laughing that he was a "little guy". She proceeded to carry him on her shoulders out the front door and down the street. (I found out later they had been talking about going down the road to the store to grab sodas so she carried him all the way there. He was impressed and got a kick out of it, but at the same time, was too embarrassed about getting carried by a woman to let her carry him back to the house again!)

Old 11-30-2014, 02:51 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
I took her best out of 7 arm wrestling last week, but she is getting stronger.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:01 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,481 times
HAHAHAHA yes this is awesome. Whatever works for y'all. I'm laughing at your question, like honestly who gives a crap what society thinks?! As long as you guys are doing the right thing. whatever!

It's when I see people start to take on the role of their appearance that problems exist. I see some women who are really buff and they start to act like these buff dudes when they can still act like a woman. I lift but mind you I'm a lean, in shape woman so I still look feminine and act it.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:26 PM

299 posts, read 556,683 times
Default Yeah.....

That's been my thing all along, I think. I really don't care for a lot of things that "mainstream society" seems to value or concern itself with. Growing up, for example, I was really into science fiction when all the kids around me valued sports instead. (Trade baseball cards with you? I don't really have any, but want to trade Star Wars cards?)

Same with the stereotypes of what guys are "supposed" to like when it comes to women.... A woman shouldn't have muscles? Why not?! (I remember working at a job, years ago, where this girl was a sales order writer in the office and was kind of a fitness buff. She was planning on going downhill skiing on vacation so she spent a lot of time at her gym using one of the rowing machines to prepare for it. Before she knew it, she wound up with little "baseball" type biceps that popped up whenever she flexed. She was apologizing for them to people who noticed them, like it was a bad thing. I wanted to yell, "What are you thinking?! Those are awesome! Keep doing what you're doing!")

Just because a woman gets muscles doesn't make her into a man.... It makes her into a women with muscles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
HAHAHAHA yes this is awesome. Whatever works for y'all. I'm laughing at your question, like honestly who gives a crap what society thinks?! As long as you guys are doing the right thing. whatever!

It's when I see people start to take on the role of their appearance that problems exist. I see some women who are really buff and they start to act like these buff dudes when they can still act like a woman. I lift but mind you I'm a lean, in shape woman so I still look feminine and act it.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:03 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,914,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Ive had some pretty strong girlfriends but probably none that was stronger than a fit man. Probably stronger than a 25 percentile man. One had a bench press record in College of 205, which is high for most women but not much for an average man who lifts a little. Most men that are in ok shape can lift their body weight, most woman can't
That's competitive powerlifting territory (not world champion, but placing well in a local contest) for a girl, unless she is 6 feet tall and 250 pounds… she must have been fun.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:45 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,793,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post

Anywho I think that a woman can be physically stronger than a man. I have had to physically beat up a male bully or two but I think that because I was younger
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Huh??? Never heard about a wives beating up their husbands??
You need to read this:
Why Battered Men Stay in Abusive Relationships | Reasons Men Stay | Emotional Battering | Men
MenWeb-Domestic violence. 835,000 battered men each year, silent too Long...
Husbands are battered as much as wives in the U.S. they are just to ashamed to admit that.
Half of spousal murders are committed by wives, a statistic that has been stable over time. Women kill almost as often as men do in the context of family murders.
There is a mile long resource list for abused men:
http://www.safe4all.org/resource-list/index?category=1

There are more, but these are just a couple of the examples that aren't isolating the difference between "stronger than" and "can beat up". They are not synonymous.

While it's an old one, the OP is referring to strength, not fighting ability.

To actually address the OP, there's nothing wrong with a woman that's stronger than you (though, as mentioned, she's probably pretty strong or you're probably pretty weak in most scenarios, men generally come larger and stronger than women do). It should have no bearing on how decisions are made, or anything like that. It's simply an oddity, but it absolutely happens.

Quick side note on pull ups and other body weight exercises. You will find more women who can beat men at THESE exercises than you will in exercises of pure strength (say, bench press), because body weight is a factor. Just like "can beat up" does not equal "stronger", "can do more pull ups" doesn't equal "stronger" either, it simply means "stronger upper body relative to body size".

Old 12-04-2014, 02:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
My husband has to pass military physical readiness tests that I couldn't pass if I trained for six months.

I bet I was physically stronger than my ex, though. He was a better runner (toddlers are better runners than I am), but I bet I was physically stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships