Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:05 AM

977 posts, read 1,815,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post

nope those 40% figures are gloria steinem tweaked figures.
its 67%.
It's not 67%, They've done the research and it's 40-50%, too high still. You can't really know what the true divorce rate is unless you have like a 50-60 year study, but they can estimate based off of 20 year divorce rates. Divorce rate also varies a lot by college graduate or not, age at marriage, whether you're from a broken home or not, many other factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 09:15 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
It's not 67%, They've done the research and it's 40-50%, too high still. You can't really know what the true divorce rate is unless you have like a 50-60 year study, but they can estimate based off of 20 year divorce rates. Divorce rate also varies a lot by college graduate or not, age at marriage, whether you're from a broken home or not, many other factors.
go back to my post, i posted the link, i always provide links upon request for anything i say on CDF, if you are going to call me out publically, then provide evidence please, as i have. as to gloria steinem, yes figures dont lie, but liars do figure. u could at least google dr gottman's work before posting.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:16 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
They don't say how or where the information was collected. With no source information whatsoever, you have to take "stats" like that with a grain of salt.
People are always quick to discredit stats they don't agree with, but if its something that fits their agenda then they well tell you numbers don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'd question how and WHERE these stats were gathered, as statistics are frequently skewed to get the results the researcher wants

For example, there's a big difference between asking this question at 2:a.m. at a bar and 9:a.m. at a church or synagogue.
I don't know how they compiled their numbers, they might be little bit inflated. If just throwing it out there for people to see, don't shoot the messager.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:19 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
67%????!!!!

Wasn't the rate 50%? Or 40%? Why do the numbers keep changing
Actually the most recent numbers I saw were just under 40%.

Now, this could be due to the fact fewer people are actually getting married these days, who knows.

I just don't think divorce is any more prevalent today than it was 20 years ago.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:22 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:

Now, this could be due to the fact fewer people are actually getting married these days, who knows.

I just don't think divorce is any more prevalent today than it was 20 years ago.
the real issue is not adultery and divorce and falling marriage rates in america.
the real issue is collective denial regarding all of the above.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:27 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,747 times
Quote:

Do you recall how the study came up with those percentages? Divorce is pretty common nowadays but the divorce rate itself shouldn't be so astronomically high lol.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
go back to my post, i posted the link, i always provide links upon request for anything i say on CDF, if you are going to call me out publically, then provide evidence please, as i have. as to gloria steinem, yes figures dont lie, but liars do figure. u could at least google dr gottman's work before posting.
http://www.virginia.edu/marriageproject/pdfs/SOOU2007.pdf (broken link)

http://bpp.wharton.upenn.edu/betseys...nd_Divorce.pdf

I never post anything I cannot back up either.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:33 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
the real issue is not adultery and divorce and falling marriage rates in america.
the real issue is collective denial regarding all of the above.
I don't see anyone "denying" anything

What I do see is someone here who identifies so strongly with the subject that they can't possibly accept that the majority of others are not getting burned the way they did.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:

They've compared the 10 year divorce rates using Census data for those married in the 70's vs the 80's vs the 90's and the 10 year divorce rates are highest for those married in the 70's. It goes like this: 70's > 80's > 90's. Again, it is still too high, but facts are facts, it's not "skyrocketing" as many would have you believe.

They can't compare 20 year divorce rates since those married in the 90's haven't reached 20 years of marriage yet.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:37 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
You've never been in that situation. Until you have you shouldn't make such statements.

That being said. caught or not, it wouldn't be worth the risk or the reward.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships