Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 PM

29 posts, read 46,847 times

Advertisements

Well, i dont really know how to post this but here it goes.

I was born in a city in texas that is near the texas/louisiana border. While there are whites, blacks, asians and hispanics, this area(and all the way up to east texas) has to be the most racially intolerant place that ive ever been to. I am half caucasian/half mexican but i look mexican. I am the type of person that like to meet people and learn about new cultures and languages however there is alot of racism here and it has affected me so much that now I find it hard to even meet a person here. I dont have the means to go to Houston(90 miles away) and most people dont like long distance relationships. I am very prideful of my culture, but i was not raised around hispanics but in a predominately white neighborhood.

I have nothing against other races, but i have found it extremely hard to even meet people because of this, i am always second guessing myself and i am very insecure about my race. I am 30 but i have had a gun pulled on me(when i was 19) for dating a white girl(her step dad didnt approve) and ive been called every racial slur one could imagine. I even lost my job recently and i was told on the second day of work that i could not be left to watch the registers because i was mexican and everyone knows that mexicans steal...

I just want to know how to do i move forward from here? Im getting older, most of the hispanic people are already married. I just dont want to lose my sense of culture and there are some things that i do not want to give up(teaching my kids spanish for example). I recently saw a caucasian girl and i was very much attracted to her but i always think if she is not racist, someone in her family probably is. I just dont know how i can let this go, i even tried a dating website but gave up after i kept seeing LOOKING FOR A COUNTRY BOY/STUD. I just hate country and thats not me but i dont want to be single forever. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,833,881 times
Hey listen - if you focus on negative things or expect negative experiences, then those things will be attracted to you so to speak. My best advice to you is to IGNORE the problem. Focus on other things, more positive things. Expect positive experiences, positive treatment and that's what you will get.

Leave the past in the past. What you think and how you feel now shapes your future.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:34 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vengefulangel View Post

I was born in a city in texas that is near the texas/louisiana border. While there are whites, blacks, asians and hispanics, this area(and all the way up to east texas) has to be the most racially intolerant place that ive ever been to. I am half caucasian/half mexican but i look mexican. I am the type of person that like to meet people and learn about new cultures and languages however there is alot of racism here and it has affected me so much that now I find it hard to even meet a person here. I dont have the means to go to Houston(90 miles away) and most people dont like long distance relationships. I am very prideful of my culture, but i was not raised around hispanics but in a predominately white neighborhood.

I have nothing against other races, but i have found it extremely hard to even meet people because of this, i am always second guessing myself and i am very insecure about my race. I am 30 but i have had a gun pulled on me(when i was 19) for dating a white girl(her step dad didnt approve) and ive been called every racial slur one could imagine. I even lost my job recently and i was told on the second day of work that i could not be left to watch the registers because i was mexican and everyone knows that mexicans steal...

I just want to know how to do i move forward from here? Im getting older, most of the hispanic people are already married. I just dont want to lose my sense of culture and there are some things that i do not want to give up(teaching my kids spanish for example). I recently saw a caucasian girl and i was very much attracted to her but i always think if she is not racist, someone in her family probably is. I just dont know how i can let this go, i even tried a dating website but gave up after i kept seeing LOOKING FOR A COUNTRY BOY/STUD. I just hate country and thats not me but i dont want to be single forever. Help!
Well save up and move the h&&& away from that place. Some places can't be changed, unfortunately. Move where you will be accepted.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
Well save up and move the h&&& away from that place. Some places can't be changed, unfortunately. Move where you will be accepted.
this. if you can, get the hell out. no point in wasting any more time there. move to a big city like LA or NYC. you'll have much better experiences there.

wish you the best.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:29 PM

29 posts, read 46,847 times
Thank you all for being understanding..i wish i could move away but i will have to go back to school for the next two years and it looks like ill be 33-35 before i get out of here

Old 07-30-2011, 01:01 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,861 times
Directed towards the Op..

Unfortuneatly places like this still exist..
I resided in TX for 4 years however I was in central Tx. Killeen, Ft.Hood area and being mostly military you had all walks of life so this was not very prevalent..
However I recall having to drive through and eat in little podunk towns with that single minded mentality...Me being Half Native American and half Irish but not looking Irish at all and having a husband ( Now my ex) who was white with a bi racial child? Got us alot of ugly sneers...

We could not beat feet outta there fast enough which made me so grateful I was back in cali...whew...

The kind of things you state remind me of Texas back in the 40's nd 50s but I guess there are generations after generations whom still have that small town bigoted mentality...lol...
If I were you? I would stop trying to "fit" in and concentrate on getting out of there...
Peace and love coming your way...

Old 07-30-2011, 02:37 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,526 times
Quote:
I even lost my job recently and i was told on the second day of work that i could not be left to watch the registers because i was mexican and everyone knows that mexicans steal...
This is against the law and, if true, they should be charged. File a complaint against them, please.

Quote:
I recently saw a caucasian girl and i was very much attracted to her but i always think if she is not racist, someone in her family probably is.
Jeeze, can you be any more pessimistic? Try for the girl anyway, even if you think the deck is stacked against you. Me thinks you worry way too much about what other people think. You are giving up before you've even started.

You'll find racist morons just about everywhere. Are you going to put your tail between your legs and run every time you encounter one?

Last edited by boodhabunny; 07-30-2011 at 02:50 AM..

Old 07-30-2011, 07:25 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,744 times
Ordinarily, I would agree with Boodhabunny that you'll find idiots everywhere, but having been in that specific region before, I understand what you're talking about. In some areas, it really is like time stopped about 70 years ago and common conventions like, "Saying the ___ word is a huge PC no-no," just haven't made it into the local ideals for many.

OP, you have two choices. You either stay there and accept that you aren't going to change the collective minds of people in town. Or you get out. You leave. You get a ride out of town and go somewhere else to start over. Yes, I've read your follow-ups and know you have a boatload of excuses. Too bad. This either bothers you enough to leave, or it doesn't. You are not going to reverse generations of racism pervasive in some of these small communities. If you went to other areas of Texas, there are thousands of cities and smaller towns where you could start over, either that have a sizable Hispanic population or where interracial dating is a non-issue because it's so common. If dating right now is important to you, get out now. Get on a bus out of town and start over. Go to school in your new location. OR if you'd rather stay for a few years and finish, just resign yourself to the fact that you're probably not going to get any more dates than you've gotten up to this point. It is what it is. You can't change other people, only your decision in reaction to them.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:04 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,123,668 times
Quote:

Fix your own racism that you are carrying around with you.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:11 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
I agree with h886, sometimes you just have to accept that this is the way it is, and no matter how wrong it is, there's little you can do to change it....then it becomes more personal...is this what you want to live with???..THAT you can change,... and since you've recently unfairly lost your job, I don't know why you'd even entertain the idea of staying any longer....if I was you, nothing would keep me there....if I was single, and with no children...I'd definately pack up now and move far, far away...to a new place, where people are more accepting of different races and cultures...your mental stability and happiness may depend on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships