Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My money, betting on the site with the greatest percentage of "trash", would definitely be on CL.
That's true, but here all of this trash is also on POF and Match. On the other hand, perhaps somebody normal from CL is not on POF and Match...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's true, but here all of this trash is also on POF and Match. On the other hand, perhaps somebody normal from CL is not on POF and Match...
Now THAT would be surprising.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Now THAT would be surprising.
You can argue that one needs at least 30 bucks or so a month to be on Match (of course, probably 1/2 are not paying members), but, frankly, I don't know what makes you think POF is superior... Same free cesspool.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:42 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You can argue that one needs at least 30 bucks or so a month to be on Match (of course, probably 1/2 are not paying members), but, frankly, I don't know what makes you think POF is superior... Same free cesspool.
I never said POF was "superior"....just better than CL. Hell I think pretty much any of the major sites are better than CL. CL personals simply has an awful reputation - a nasty one - and I'd not want myself associated with it.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:48 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
I wonder if I should try an test where I put an ad on match, pof and CL and see whats the difference in responses I get. I'm sure I'd still get the typical old perverted men 15 states away BS but maybe I'll actually find someone normal and not a murderer. Who knows! That way we can settle this once and for all, lol.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:02 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I wonder if I should try an test where I put an ad on match, pof and CL and see whats the difference in responses I get. I'm sure I'd still get the typical old perverted men 15 states away BS but maybe I'll actually find someone normal and not a murderer. Who knows! That way we can settle this once and for all, lol.

All things being equal, you really need to take into account your ad wording, your profile, your appearance and photo exchanges on the internet and overall demeanor to understand if it's the medium you are using or it's yourself to settle it once and for all.

Last edited by JustJulia; 09-23-2011 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: deleted rude comment

Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,854 times
Quote:
I never said POF was "superior"....just better than CL. Hell I think pretty much any of the major sites are better than CL. CL personals simply has an awful reputation - a nasty one - and I'd not want myself associated with it.

I met my hubby on POF!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,031,559 times
I have tried all the big dating sites at one time or another, and I also pull tail at the gym, the beach, the pool, bars/clubs, restaurants (waitresses/bartenders), and random everyday places like grocery stores. I'm qualified to opine on what is worth your time and what isn't, and this is the bottom line on the big dating sites:

Match: Definitely the classiest, most well-rounded chicks online. Probably because of its monthly fee, Match attracts chicks who are more successful and career-oriented than POF does. They also don't seem to have the "must get married immediately" mentality that you find with the women on eHarmony. If you are bringing something to the table (Match is NOT the site for dudes who take shirtless cellphone camera pics in their bathroom mirrors) you can find anything from casual sex to a promising LTR on Match. Best of all, the chicks you meet on there will be normal enough for you to introduce them to your friends without being embarrassed.

eHarmony: The chicks here are generally nice girls who aren't trashy, but this is NOT the place to go to get laid. For one thing, you have to pass a series of compatability tests and exchange several messages before you can even see a girl's picture. That is ridiculous. What if you are "compatible" with a girl based on eHarmony's esoteric algorithms but she turns out to be a fat cow? I don't have time to waste on such nonsense. The chicks here want one thing: To get a ring on their finger and FAST. If that's what you're looking for, knock yourself out. Me, I have better uses of my time.

POF: Might as well be a who's who of chicks who couldn't make the cut on Match. VERY easy place to get laid. 90% of the chicks will have a line in their profile (often in all caps) about how they aren't looking for a booty call or FWB and they don't do one night stands, but trust me, that goes out the window when you meet them and they see that you're a few cuts above the other idiots who e-mail them with tattoos on their necks and bathroom mirror pics. You have to at least pretend you're looking for a relationship if you want to score here with regularity, but beyond that, it doesn't take much effort at all.

Craigslist: The Internet equivalent of a dive bar at closing time. No need for pretenses here, everyone knows what everyone else wants and no one even tries to hide it. Post a picture of your junk, wait for a suitable response, then do your business. Looking for an LTR here is like looking for an LTR in the red light district, but if you're just looking for sex and you can't be bothered to make an effort to get it, there is no better place online.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:43 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,379,888 times
Gauging by what you are writing here, I wouldn't say your a "real catch" yourself! But, then again, meeting a lady who has the same mindset that you do, you would definitely be a "real-to-great catch" for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I have tried all the big dating sites at one time or another, and I also pull tail at the gym, the beach, the pool, bars/clubs, restaurants (waitresses/bartenders), and random everyday places like grocery stores. I'm qualified to opine on what is worth your time and what isn't, and this is the bottom line on the big dating sites:

Match: Definitely the classiest, most well-rounded chicks online. Probably because of its monthly fee, Match attracts chicks who are more successful and career-oriented than POF does. They also don't seem to have the "must get married immediately" mentality that you find with the women on eHarmony. If you are bringing something to the table (Match is NOT the site for dudes who take shirtless cellphone camera pics in their bathroom mirrors) you can find anything from casual sex to a promising LTR on Match. Best of all, the chicks you meet on there will be normal enough for you to introduce them to your friends without being embarrassed.

eHarmony: The chicks here are generally nice girls who aren't trashy, but this is NOT the place to go to get laid. For one thing, you have to pass a series of compatability tests and exchange several messages before you can even see a girl's picture. That is ridiculous. What if you are "compatible" with a girl based on eHarmony's esoteric algorithms but she turns out to be a fat cow? I don't have time to waste on such nonsense. The chicks here want one thing: To get a ring on their finger and FAST. If that's what you're looking for, knock yourself out. Me, I have better uses of my time.

POF: Might as well be a who's who of chicks who couldn't make the cut on Match. VERY easy place to get laid. 90% of the chicks will have a line in their profile (often in all caps) about how they aren't looking for a booty call or FWB and they don't do one night stands, but trust me, that goes out the window when you meet them and they see that you're a few cuts above the other idiots who e-mail them with tattoos on their necks and bathroom mirror pics. You have to at least pretend you're looking for a relationship if you want to score here with regularity, but beyond that, it doesn't take much effort at all.

Craigslist: The Internet equivalent of a dive bar at closing time. No need for pretenses here, everyone knows what everyone else wants and no one even tries to hide it. Post a picture of your junk, wait for a suitable response, then do your business. Looking for an LTR here is like looking for an LTR in the red light district, but if you're just looking for sex and you can't be bothered to make an effort to get it, there is no better place online.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:18 PM

331 posts, read 735,292 times
Craiglist - If I put an ad on craigslist I get lots of junk email. I put an ad up last week, and ended up meeting somebody that night (she asked to meet and she was very local so I thought "Why not?"). It went OK, but there was no chemistry - btw she was not trash. She was a psychologist with degrees from Japan and the US. The vast majority of women I do meet off of it are only looking for sex (especially teachers for some reason!). I have met a few highly qualified women off it too - e.g. research scientist at UCLA.

POF - I get very little luck out of this site so I'm rarely on it. I met one lady off it for a FWB relationship a few years ago, but that's about it.

OKCupid - I know this is not about it, but I get a lot of luck on it. Met many women, but yet to find anything that translated into a full blown relationship. I've come across many highly educated women - I've met lawyers, doctors, accountants, scientists etc...I get a lot of luck finding educated East Asian and Jewish women

Never used ehamorny or match. Eharmony contacted me once, but that was for a job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships