Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:47 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times

Advertisements

When I was single about 6 years ago, I posted an ad on Craig's List. I got a ton of replies, of which, probably 80% were creepy. But, they didn't have my email address unless I wrote them back, which I didn't to the creepy ones. I also had a separate account for that anyway.

I didn't meet anyone that I clicked with, but I wouldn't say that they were all creepy/weird/living in basements/whatever. I'd try it again. I did it in a phase of my dating life when I decided to give just about everyone a chance. As long as looking at the guy didn't make me physically ill and he wrote something interesting or funny and seemed able to have a conversation, I would go on a date if asked. As a general dating strategy, I loved that; I had so many dates lined up that no one particular date had a huge emotional hold on me. If it didn't work out, oh well, on to the next one. Of course I met people I liked more than others and was more eager to hear from those people, but it was a fun time overall.

Anyway, back to CL... probably like 8 years ago now my sister answered an ad of a guy looking for a date to a wedding. They didn't end up meeting in time for that wedding, but they met later. He became one of her best friends; he comes to our family Thanksgiving dinner every year and is almost like family now. Maybe my sister and I had totally unusual experiences, or maybe CL has changed a lot in the past few years, but it worked to some degree for both of us. I certainly think it is possible to meet someone cool on there; you've just got to do a lot of weeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 03:03 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
CL isn't any different from any other dating website except that its free. Murderers/Rapers/etc are on all dating websites. They don't just go to one single one. I mean then it would be called meetyourmurderer.com or whatever..You get my point. I mean I can go to Houstons in the Gables tomorrow night and meet a Dr who will cut me up in a 1000 pieces. Creepers are everywhere..

Old 09-22-2011, 03:04 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
anybody here look at the missed connections of craigslist? what do you guys think of it? i'm going to admit ever since i heard about it, i've been lurking there for a minute hoping to find someone talk about me.
I read those...they are kind of entertaining in a sweet/pathetic kind of way.

Kind of reminds me of a Sleepless in Seatle scenario.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:07 PM

376 posts, read 665,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I read those...they are kind of entertaining in a sweet/pathetic kind of way.

Kind of reminds me of a Sleepless in Seatle scenario.
yes it is.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:09 PM

376 posts, read 665,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
CL isn't any different from any other dating website except that its free. Murderers/Rapers/etc are on all dating websites. They don't just go to one single one. I mean then it would be called meetyourmurderer.com or whatever..You get my point. I mean I can go to Houstons in the Gables tomorrow night and meet a Dr who will cut me up in a 1000 pieces. Creepers are everywhere..

you're right. i don't like dating sites because of that but on the flip side, you can apply that to real life. you really don't know somebody just based off of what they tell you, talking to them, what you see and all. that's how ted bundy was able to do what he did. there's plenty of fakers outthere. you really have to get to know people nowadays. that's how come i don't understand all these people that rush to get married in a short amount of time. 5 years isn't even enough time to get to know someone really well.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i greatly prefer ebay over craigslist. but as to mate hunting i think the sooner you see someone the greater loss of time, too many liars post fake pictures, so in that sense if craigslist is faster, its better.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:33 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,635 times
Craigslist is like a free for all, you can get anything, buy anything, meet anything if the price is right !

haaa !

And, if you're looking to hook up on there, as someone who is a medical professional: Advice: Use a condom or get tested first. HIV is still living large.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Just about the whole available pool of people is on EVERY dating site, craigslist included. Wouldn't you meet somebody from match? Well, guess what?! He's on CL, too!
The perv are probably on every site. But the good guys are definitely NOT.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The perv are probably on every site. But the good guys are definitely NOT.
Where did you find your last one, Chess? POF! There are normal people everywhere and there's trash everywhere.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:28 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Where did you find your last one, Chess? POF! There are normal people everywhere and there's trash everywhere.
Yep - POF. However he was NOT on CL. That was my point. And the guy before...the lawyer...found him on POF too (although he was on Match as well, to see which he liked better - and he preferred Match). None of these guys I've dated used CL for personal ads. My money, betting on the site with the greatest percentage of "trash", would definitely be on CL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships