Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:36 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,440,148 times

Advertisements

I keep meeting more and more people my age (mid 20's) as well as more and more of my friends are meeting people online.

I don't understand why nobody wants to socialize and meet each other in person anymore? Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I think we're at the age where we have more time to socialize so what's the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 09:40 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,901,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I keep meeting more and more people my age (mid 20's) as well as more and more of my friends are meeting people online.

I don't understand why nobody wants to socialize and meet each other in person anymore? Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I think we're at the age where we have more time to socialize so what's the deal?
I don't know about young people except that they grew up with the internet, so it's natural for them. I have found that it doesn't work so well for old ladies my age though--men see our age and click over to the under 30 section. Either that or I'm not as well preserved as I thought.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:45 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,831,520 times
This isn't totally new it's been happening throughout the past 15 years. People don't interact the same way in real life anymore due to technology, the internet, and all these gadgets that are out. People don't meet at the grocery store anymore like they did back in the 70's. There are a lot of articles about this stuff if you google it. I know as a guy a lot of women aren't really receptive to talking to a guy they don't know in real life....even a guy like me that is average height and slender build. I don't think decades ago it was like that..at least not quite as much.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,751,146 times
I'd rather socialize and meet in person, but nobody seems particularly interested.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:18 AM

16,391 posts, read 31,079,823 times
I'm a very outgoing guy and everything and I meet a lot of people, but the internet really makes things useful. You can filter through people much easier and everything. Then again, I have never registered for a dating website, but I have met girls online through websites not made for dating.

Also, just because someone is registered for an online dating site, does not mean they aren't out at the bar socializing and being with people. Just because someone is on it doesn't mean they are a basement dweller who refreshes the page all day and looks at the women, they might create the page and never look again unless they get an email or however else they're notified.

That's just an explanation from a younger guy who's never registered for an online dating site, take it for what its worth

Old 06-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'd rather socialize and meet in person, but nobody seems particularly interested.
I agree! I'm the same way and people are so anti-social now cause of technology..its SO aggravating!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
This isn't totally new it's been happening throughout the past 15 years. People don't interact the same way in real life anymore due to technology, the internet, and all these gadgets that are out. People don't meet at the grocery store anymore like they did back in the 70's. There are a lot of articles about this stuff if you google it. I know as a guy a lot of women aren't really receptive to talking to a guy they don't know in real life....even a guy like me that is average height and slender build. I don't think decades ago it was like that..at least not quite as much.
that's a shame. I'm very receptive as long as the guy is nice enough. If I'm not attracted to him in the least, I just won't go on a date with him. Simple.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm a very outgoing guy and everything and I meet a lot of people, but the internet really makes things useful. You can filter through people much easier and everything. Then again, I have never registered for a dating website, but I have met girls online through websites not made for dating.

Also, just because someone is registered for an online dating site, does not mean they aren't out at the bar socializing and being with people. Just because someone is on it doesn't mean they are a basement dweller who refreshes the page all day and looks at the women, they might create the page and never look again unless they get an email or however else they're notified.

That's just an explanation from a younger guy who's never registered for an online dating site, take it for what its worth
oh, I know they likely do things too, but it just seems that cause of online dating, nobody wants to socialize as much.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:37 AM

48,727 posts, read 35,359,945 times
Quote:
oh, I know they likely do things too, but it just seems that cause of online dating, nobody wants to socialize as much.
I confused...

With online dating you meet people and then go OUT and socialize in person.

Are your friends dating via computer?

Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,102,195 times
Quote:

They've already gone through the local population like cat's in heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships