Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:05 PM

5,418 posts, read 9,223,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
It really is something isn't it? I love technology but there's one thing it's ruined and that's interpersonal relationships. I wish people would CALL and ask how you are, not text you or ****ing post on your ****ing facebook wall. I mean yeah I appreciate the contact but it simply does not replicate hearing someone's voice or seeing someone's face.

lol what world do you live in?

SERIOUSLY. I would be extremely flattered if someone called me just to chat, or to ask me to coffee. Asking in a text is very impersonal by comparison, and the person could simply say they never received it or whatever.

EDIT: Just had another thought (I know, I'm on a roll tonight!) but is it possible that rejecting someone/getting rejected online is just less of a hassle and less hurtful than it would be in person? I'm not talking about breaking up with someone, but just getting turned down for a date or other rendez-vous stings less when its delivery is made via some other medium.

I've gotten both online and offline rejections and lemme tell ya, the online one was just less embarassing..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 11:09 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,429,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
SERIOUSLY. I would be extremely flattered if someone called me just to chat, or to ask me to coffee. Asking in a text is very impersonal by comparison, and the person could simply say they never received it or whatever.
isn't it pathetic that we have to feel "flattered" if someone calls us for a date? I shouldn't have to even ask for a call...especially for a date.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:11 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,429,459 times
Quote:

EDIT: Just had another thought (I know, I'm on a roll tonight!) but is it possible that rejecting someone/getting rejected online is just less of a hassle and less hurtful than it would be in person? I'm not talking about breaking up with someone, but just getting turned down for a date or other rendez-vous stings less when its delivery is made via some other medium.

I've gotten both online and offline rejections and lemme tell ya, the online one was just less embarassing..
about your EDIT: well I find rejections like that cowardly. I've had guys ask me over facebook why I never dated them or gave them a chance...they're too scared to hear the truth in person.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,249,114 times
Quote:

lol what world do you live in?
Same as yours. What do you mean?

Old 06-25-2011, 11:23 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,730,725 times
Quote:

I agree but at the same time I think people need to grow some thicker skin, there are worse things in the world than a girl/guy telling you she/he's not interested. As long as they don't string you along for a while, just accept it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Same as yours. What do you mean?
I think going up to a girl and asking if she wants to bone you is a good way to end up with pepper spray in your eyes.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,249,114 times
Quote:
I think going up to a girl and asking if she wants to bone you is a good way to end up with pepper spray in your eyes.
That isn't the proper approach. But if you are looking for sex, and are at a club or campus setting... you'll know in a few minutes whether you have a shot with her.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:54 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,499,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
ya, I see that..but man...that's so sad.

and why is it creepy if a guy shows interest in a girl? I don't get it? Its only creepy if he's psycho in love after a day.
People thought the year 2000 was so high tech (Y2K). But the way people communicated was much more personal back then. If technology has changed relationships this much in 11 years, just imagine what it will be like in 2022.

And I never understood why people think it's creepy to show interest in a girl. I posted on another thread that I've been told it's creepy when a guy has a thing for a girl but doesn't tell her. I don't agree with that, but people have called me creepy because I had a thing for a girl and never told her.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
There are threads and mountains of posts on the topic I think, but I can't be bothered to find them (have to go to bed soon so I'm awake during EMS class tomorrow) about this- a real pass (not "HEY BABY CAN I HAZ YO 7 DIGITS") can be misconstrued as creepy because perhaps he isn't quite up to someone's standards.. though I think that a better explanation is that people just flat don't like it when someone they know approaches them and asks for their number. Sometimes people favor the bold and give the number, and other times (probably 90%) people just say no in some form or another.

You can't get to know someone in two sentences..it doesn't work like that. How would I know if a girl is genuinely interested in me (lol) in two sentences as opposed to just wanting my body?
Everyone that I've asked for a number has given me their number. Some people have given me their number without asking. And quite a few of these people are girls. And I'm not even a ladies man.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
about your EDIT: well I find rejections like that cowardly. I've had guys ask me over facebook why I never dated them or gave them a chance...they're too scared to hear the truth in person.
I think it goes both ways. They might be afraid to hear the truth in person, but they might also think you won't tell them the truth in person. A lot of stuff people say online is stuff they wouldn't say in person. And vice versa. Many times, people are nicer in person because they don't want to hurt someone's feelings. But if you tell them online why you're not interested, their feelings are less likely to be hurt AND they'll think you're more likely to be telling the truth.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,823,057 times
Quote:
I keep meeting more and more people my age (mid 20's) as well as more and more of my friends are meeting people online.

I don't understand why nobody wants to socialize and meet each other in person anymore? Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I think we're at the age where we have more time to socialize so what's the deal?
personally... i'm introverted, and for me socializing feels a lot like work. I try and save my time, consideration, and energy for people I know that I like, which are friends.

it was a nice fantasy that i'd be able to use the computer on a Tuesday at 9am ... or whenever it suited me ... to find a date. But like your post implies, there's definitely a stigma about it when you are young that makes it so much more difficult than meeting people by chance.

Last edited by le roi; 06-26-2011 at 06:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships