Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:14 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,793,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Not only that - I hardly see a priest as saintly. Not with the rep they have these days.
True -- when I said "priest", I guess I was thinking of them, in the ideal sense (not fallen or corrupted priests, or those who have done bad things to ppl)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 08:03 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,337,400 times
If Galahad was a knight that just fought for what he believed in and tried to save those he cared for or felt allegiance to, then he would be a knight worth having. Goodness, loyalty, bravery, and strong values are important to me. To me being manly can mean many things. I do want a man that is gentle when he needs to be, but I also want a man that sees me as a woman. I don't want to be an ideal on a pedestal, because it is too easy to fall off. Then, where would we be? I have had men try to idolize me before...and I am just human, not a princess to be won in battle. If a man believes a woman can do no wrong, he is bound to be disillusioned when she doesn't behave like he thinks she should. Perfection is impossible for either gender to achieve. Also, Guinevere was far from perfect, since she had an affair with Lancelot...

Old 01-09-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
If Galahad was a knight that just fought for what he believed in and tried to save those he cared for or felt allegiance to, then he would be a knight worth having. Goodness, loyalty, bravery, and strong values are important to me. To me being manly can mean many things. I do want a man that is gentle when he needs to be, but I also want a man that sees me as a woman. I don't want to be an ideal on a pedestal, because it is too easy to fall off. Then, where would we be? I have had men try to idolize me before...and I am just human, not a princess to be won in battle. If a man believes a woman can do no wrong, he is bound to be disillusioned when she doesn't behave like he thinks she should. Perfection is impossible for either gender to achieve. Also, Guinevere was far from perfect, since she had an affair with Lancelot...
Is it possible though, to revere or even idolize someone you love, as merely "perfect for you", and despite their imperfections? That they could do no wrong, in your eyes, and even in light of, and accepting, all of their human flaws?

Isn't there a difference, between merely "putting someone on a pedestal", and having "unconditional love" for them (and the latter taking into account, their imperfections)?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Is it possible though, to revere or even idolize someone you love, as merely "perfect for you", and despite their imperfections? That they could do no wrong, in your eyes, and even in light of, and accepting, all of their human flaws?

Isn't there a difference, between merely "putting someone on a pedestal", and having "unconditional love" for them (and the latter taking into account, their imperfections)?

Unconditional love is something I have only experienced from my parents and various other family members. Most mates do have conditions and expectations. It is great if you find the one perfect for you, but even then you have to be flexible. You speak of wanting to remain chaste until marriage, and there is nothing wrong with that. It is your choice. However, as you age, finding a woman that is pure will be harder for you. Also, if your standards are too high, you might miss out on someone that would be great for you. Some people hide things in order to please a guy/woman. I would rather the person I was with feel free to share with me or keep it to themselves, whichever one they were more comfortable with. I think a man I would want to be in a relationship would not owe me any explanations. I would only worry about what they did once we were in a relationship. I would hate for a woman to lie to you because she was afraid she would not live up to your expectations, if you knew about her past.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Unconditional love is something I have only experienced from my parents and various other family members. Most mates do have conditions and expectations.
If, God willing, I ever actually find that one special girl, it would be a true blessing, to give her 100% of my heart, entirely unconditionally. The only "expectation" per se that I would have, would be that she and I would both give our very best, to helping make the marriage work. And I'd know I could trust, and count on her, to do that. Hence, "unconditional love" -- also as my bride, she would become, my family, in every sense of the word (sweetheart, beloved wife, and best friend and partner for life).

Quote:
It is great if you find the one perfect for you, but even then you have to be flexible.
Flexibility is not a problem!

Quote:
You speak of wanting to remain chaste until marriage, and there is nothing wrong with that. It is your choice. However, as you age, finding a woman that is pure will be harder for you.
You're 100% right. However, my pre-marital celibacy requirement is merely for me alone -- who am I, to judge anyone else, or what they might have done, in their past? If the girl herself has already engaged in pre-marital intimacy, that's not a problem for me at all, as long as she is also willing to "wait" for me, until she and I are married, to be intimate.

Quote:
Also, if your standards are too high, you might miss out on someone that would be great for you. Some people hide things in order to please a guy/woman. I would rather the person I was with feel free to share with me or keep it to themselves, whichever one they were more comfortable with. I think a man I would want to be in a relationship would not owe me any explanations. I would only worry about what they did once we were in a relationship.
Again, I think you're completely right here, and fully agree with you.

Quote:
I would hate for a woman to lie to you because she was afraid she would not live up to your expectations, if you knew about her past.
No worries...she has nothing to worry about, from me, regarding that. As long as she is willing to wait for me, that is a non-issue for me, and I would never judge her negatively, because of it.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
If, God willing, I ever actually find that one special girl, it would be a true blessing, to give her 100% of my heart, entirely unconditionally. The only "expectation" per se that I would have, would be that she and I would both give our very best, to helping make the marriage work. And I'd know I could trust, and count on her, to do that. Hence, "unconditional love" -- also as my bride, she would become, my family, in every sense of the word (sweetheart, beloved wife, and best friend and partner for life).

Flexibility is not a problem!

You're 100% right. However, my pre-marital celibacy requirement is merely for me alone -- who am I, to judge anyone else, or what they might have done, in their past? If the girl herself has already engaged in pre-marital intimacy, that's not a problem for me at all, as long as she is also willing to "wait" for me, until she and I are married, to be intimate.

Again, I think you're completely right here, and fully agree with you.

No worries...she has nothing to worry about, from me, regarding that. As long as she is willing to wait for me, that is a non-issue for me, and I would never judge her negatively, because of it.
I have to say that you sound like a great guy, and one who is open and kind. So, I hope that you find who you are looking for. Try not to become cynical and bitter. Many people seem to, and they lose the best parts of themselves. Do not give up when love seems elusive. Best wishes.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I have to say that you sound like a great guy, and one who is open and kind. So, I hope that you find who you are looking for. Try not to become cynical and bitter. Many people seem to, and they lose the best parts of themselves. Do not give up when love seems elusive. Best wishes.
Many thx for the very kind words and sweet compliments Georgianbelle!! I deeply appreciate the kind encouragement and wise advice, and no worries, I promise, I won't give up on love

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships