Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 AM

727 posts, read 544,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's a pic of steven seagal - he wears a black ponytail from time to time.

That is wrong when they take pictures, ponytails never show...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 06:50 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,702,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
He sounds like a damaged psycho.
*shrug*

It's always easy to pshrink a fictional character. If he were real and alive today we might very well see him differently.

The "take-away" for the Arthurian legend is, I suppose, to act honorably. Anything else is just voiding one's bladder into the prevailing Westerlies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asexualgirl
That is wrong when they take pictures, ponytails never show...
Surprisingly, I couldn't find many pictures of Steve showing his pony...

Old 01-04-2011, 07:02 AM

727 posts, read 544,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Surprisingly, I couldn't find many pictures of Steve showing his pony...

Yeah, even that is little one it is enough to mess my chemicals

Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,731,261 times
In theory it sounds wonderful but I suspect I would get bored of it pretty quickly. I believe in a relationship of equals and I think a "Sir Galahad" is never going to be that. I never like to put people on pedestals, I find "heroes" are far too brittle and human to ever deserve that title. And I like it just fine that way.

A Knight in shining armour is a nice concept , there is certainly a certain romantic aspect to it which can be appealing but nobody, no matter how wonderful can ever live up to that hype thus disappointment will always rear its ugly head.

I prefer to have a relationship with a man made of flesh and blood , warts and all. I think one can have a good man in one's life without having to resort to the great Medieval fables. And fables they were.

The world "Galahad" was born out of was a world of unspeakable violence, war , famine and poverty and chivalry was a concept meant for courtly activities, an outward show of good behaviour when reality was nothing of the sort.

I like my Husband to have faults, they might drive me up the wall but they also make him greatly human and accessible as an individual. He is no remote idol of imagined purity and perfection but someone I can love because his virtues greatly outnumber his "vices" .... I have plenty of faults, it seems a lot more balanced that he should have them too... Who wants to live with Mr Perfect ? Mr Pretty darn great suits me fine.

I never really wanted to be rescued, have never been a Damsel in Distress and I fear it is a little naive to want or expect any human being to attain such high levels of perfection as Sir Galahad. He is not real , never was and never will be.

It makes a good story but I don't want it to be my story.

Nobody is pure of heart. Goodness is not perfection because perfection does not exist. Perfection would become pretty annoying and tedious very quickly I suspect. If nothing else it would highlight your own imperfections. You would be greatly diminished by his lack of flaws and would find yourself pondering your own inadequacy.

A true relationship is about mutual love, respect and loyalty and being comfortable enough to disagree with someone and fight them once in a while.... Galahad is a mirage, something we dreamt up because reality was so darn scary and bloody.

Real men can be loyal, tender, strong, loyal, brave and all those requisites of romantic novels without having to be put on a pedestal and worshipped. Lancelot his father was always a lot more flawed and yet somehow a lot more interesting too. There is more complexity of character in someone who is deeply human.

I love the imagery of "La Morte D'Arthur" and am a big fan of Medieval literature and Pre-Raphaelite art but I don't want it in my daily life. I have no aspirations to be an Elaine or a Guinevere.

Those ideals were allegories and many were politcally motivated in their writing.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 01-04-2011 at 07:25 AM..

Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 AM

4,539 posts, read 8,385,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punky86 View Post
A white night type? No thanks. I don't need saving.
But what if he knew the air speed of an unladen swallow?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 AM

29,828 posts, read 34,767,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
But what if he knew the air speed of an unladen swallow?
An African or a European swallow?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 AM

4,539 posts, read 8,385,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
An African or a European swallow?
Uh, I don't know that...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:06 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,911,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
In theory it sounds wonderful but I suspect I would get bored of it pretty quickly. I believe in a relationship of equals and I think a "Sir Galahad" is never going to be that. I never like to put people on pedestals, I find "heroes" are far too brittle and human to ever deserve that title. And I like it just fine that way.

A Knight in shining armour is a nice concept , there is certainly a certain romantic aspect to it which can be appealing but nobody, no matter how wonderful can ever live up to that hype thus disappointment will always rear its ugly head.

I prefer to have a relationship with a man made of flesh and blood , warts and all. I think one can have a good man in one's life without having to resort to the great Medieval fables. And fables they were.

The world "Galahad" was born out of was a world of unspeakable violence, war , famine and poverty and chivalry was a concept meant for courtly activities, an outward show of good behaviour when reality was nothing of the sort.

I like my Husband to have faults, they might drive me up the wall but they also make him greatly human and accessible as an individual. He is no remote idol of imagined purity and perfection but someone I can love because his virtues greatly outnumber his "vices" .... I have plenty of faults, it seems a lot more balanced that he should have them too... Who wants to live with Mr Perfect ? Mr Pretty darn great suits me fine.

I never really wanted to be rescued, have never been a Damsel in Distress and I fear it is a little naive to want or expect any human being to attain such high levels of perfection as Sir Galahad. He is not real , never was and never will be.

Nobody is pure of heart. Goodness is not perfection because perfection does not exist. Perfection would become pretty annoying and tedious very quickly I suspect. If nothing else it would highlight your own imperfections. You would be greatly diminished by his lack of flaws and would find yourself pondering your own inadequacy.

A true relationship is about mutual love, respect and loyalty and being comfortable enough to disagree with someone and fight them once in a while.... Galahad is a mirage, something we dreamt up because reality was so darn scary and bloody.

Real men can be loyal, tender, strong, loyal, brave and all those requisites of romantic novels without having to be put on a pedestal and worshipped. Lancelot his father was always a lot more flawed and yet somehow a lot more interesting too. There is more complexity of character in someone who is deeply human.

I love the imagery of "La Morte D'Arthur" and am a big fan of Medieval literature and Pre-Raphaelite art but I don't want it in my daily life. I have no aspirations to be an Elaine or a Guinevere.

Those ideals were allegories and many were politcally motivated in their writing.
Beautifully said.

In other words, Knight--no, it's too perilous.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:07 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,801,365 times
Fascinating...many thanks for your comments and insightful thoughts Mooseketeer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

Old 01-04-2011, 10:06 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,433,572 times
To me, a woman marrying a Sir Galahad is admitting a weakness and any man attracted to that type of woman would want to exploit it. It wouldn't be a marriage of equals, it would be a weak, clinging woman wanting her asexual Knight to swoop down whenever the bogeyman comes knocking.

I don't need saving and don't want saving, unless I'm in the Atlantic ocean after the Titanic sinks (Jack was sweet saving Rose). A marriage should be between equals, not the man being the 'strong one,' and the lady being 'the weak one.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships