Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 08:37 AM

37,857 posts, read 46,489,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Did it ever occur to you that maybe their issue is with the quality of the men approaching? That's great if you're an attractive woman who gets approached a lot. But what if most of the guys are just looking to get into your pants? What if they're nice guys, but you have absolutely nothing in common with them? What if you're so attractive that a lot of guys are too intimidated to approach you?
Yup. What he ^^ said.

Quote:
Thank you for clearing that up. It would certainly explain why Paradox73 was sending out emails, but not seeing any of them read. I think Match.com should at least let you read any emails you get and decide whether to pay. That would suck to pay the monthly fee first, read the email you got only to discover that the guy was asking if you're interested a threesome.
I don't even get why anyone would put up a profile and not join. I've never done that. The whole point was to make contact. If my profile was up, then I was "contactable". Besides - it was way more expensive to just join for a month...I always joined for 6 months at a time...it makes more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 08:59 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,700,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't even get why anyone would put up a profile and not join. I've never done that. The whole point was to make contact. If my profile was up, then I was "contactable". Besides - it was way more expensive to just join for a month...I always joined for 6 months at a time...it makes more sense.
I think because they worry about paying for long stretches where there's no activity. You could sign up for a 6 months and pay less per month than you do if you sign up for just one month, but what if there's only one month where you're actually talking to anyone? Then you might feel like you wasted money during those other 5 months.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I think because they worry about paying for long stretches where there's no activity. You could sign up for a 6 months and pay less per month than you do if you sign up for just one month, but what if there's only one month where you're actually talking to anyone? Then you might feel like you wasted money during those other 5 months.
And there you go. Committing one month of online dating is like running a marathon without training. Why bother? Differences in people I guess. I'd never subscribe just to communicate with ONE person. I

Old 12-31-2010, 10:15 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,700,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
And there you go. Committing one month of online dating is like running a marathon without training. Why bother? Differences in people I guess. I'd never subscribe just to communicate with ONE person. I
I agree. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people feel like they have to find someone interesting immediately in order for it to be worthwhile. In a way, I can kind of see their point. I can sign up for HBO, but what if the movies I like to watch will only be on during the summer? Then the rest of the time I feel like I'm throwing money down the drain. When it comes to something like Match, I think are unwilling to wait. They want to meet someone right now. Imagine signing for a 6-month subscription, meeting someone tomorrow and you becoming exclusive. Now you still have 5 months that you're paying for, but no longer need. Of course, most people don't meet someone that fast. But I think the people who sign up have either such unrealistic expectations or flat out low expectations that if they either expect to meet Mr. or Mrs. Right immediately or if they don't, then it's not worth waiting for.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I agree. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people feel like they have to find someone interesting immediately in order for it to be worthwhile. In a way, I can kind of see their point. I can sign up for HBO, but what if the movies I like to watch will only be on during the summer? Then the rest of the time I feel like I'm throwing money down the drain. When it comes to something like Match, I think are unwilling to wait. They want to meet someone right now. Imagine signing for a 6-month subscription, meeting someone tomorrow and you becoming exclusive. Now you still have 5 months that you're paying for, but no longer need. Of course, most people don't meet someone that fast. But I think the people who sign up have either such unrealistic expectations or flat out low expectations that if they either expect to meet Mr. or Mrs. Right immediately or if they don't, then it's not worth waiting for.
Geez it's not THAT expensive. It's about $100 for 6 months...that works out to around $16 a month, doesn't it? I think most people spend more than that in a single night at a bar. Big whoop.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 PM

17,669 posts, read 22,801,160 times
Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that maybe their issue is with the quality of the men approaching? That's great if you're an attractive woman who gets approached a lot. But what if most of the guys are just looking to get into your pants? What if they're nice guys, but you have absolutely nothing in common with them? What if you're so attractive that a lot of guys are too intimidated to approach you?

Thank you for clearing that up. It would certainly explain why Paradox73 was sending out emails, but not seeing any of them read. I think Match.com should at least let you read any emails you get and decide whether to pay. That would suck to pay the monthly fee first, read the email you got only to discover that the guy was asking if you're interested a threesome.

Classmates.com is the same way. You can't read any emails unless the membership is paid.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:17 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,764,910 times
Quote:
If I meet someone, I sure wont becoming exclusive with them after only a month. I don't understand why people think after 2 dates you are suddenly an item?? Quite bizarre to me. I guess if you mutually agree to that, but for me I don't even want to go there for months and in the meantime I date all I want. Probably the most I was going out with at one time was around 6 gals and none of them had too much of a problem with it.

If I picked up someone off of match and after a few dates they wanted me to take my profile down, uh yeah I don't think so.

I thought with Match you could sign up for 1 or 3 month subs, not just 6 months. To me if it's something you want to do, then it's just par for course that you pay for that service.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
If I meet someone, I sure wont becoming exclusive with them after only a month. I don't understand why people think after 2 dates you are suddenly an item?? Quite bizarre to me. I guess if you mutually agree to that, but for me I don't even want to go there for months and in the meantime I date all I want. Probably the most I was going out with at one time was around 6 gals and none of them had too much of a problem with it.

If I picked up someone off of match and after a few dates they wanted me to take my profile down, uh yeah I don't think so.

I thought with Match you could sign up for 1 or 3 month subs, not just 6 months. To me if it's something you want to do, then it's just par for course that you pay for that service.
You can sign up for 1 month, 3 months, or 6 months. I was referring to Denny's post earlier, about how people don't actually subscribe unless they get an interesting email from a current member. My point was, signing up for a month is really a waste of money - in my opinion.

FWIW, my BF took his profile down 3 weeks after we met. We knew by then that it was the real deal. I never asked him to....he simply told me he deleted it, so I deleted mine as well.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:24 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,591,045 times
I have used Match in the past. Met a few people, had some good dates but that was it. I met my ex in the dog park, which, theoretically, is the best place for me to meet someone. He turned out to be a selfish jerk.

Life is a crapshoot, I think.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:59 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,686,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

Come on man, in what universe is that anywhere close to a metric of success? If the benchmark is to sportsf*ck then perhaps yeah, but if the point is to find someone long term and exclusive, that says high failure rate, it can't possibly compliment your position. To me, your post reinforces my position that online dating is in aggregate not a venue where most would find somebody to actually establish a life companionship with, which is to say it's on par with the bar/club scene.

6 gals at a time as a measure of dating worth... You crack me up man. To quote "Forgeting Sarah Marshall": 'I bet you think strippers like you too...'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships