Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:47 AM

10,219 posts, read 17,945,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
What does it mean to be boring?

Everybody's different, and I'm sure everyone has their own story to tell. But, it seems that girls perceive outgoing people with flasy hobbies to be more "interesting". For example, the person who plays the piano is invariably more interesting than the person who plays boardgames. But, I don't get why girls are more interested in the pianist. If they like music then they can just buy a CD or attend free concerts.
Because it's not about wanting to hear music for free or cheap, it's about wanting to be with someone who shares similar interests, especially ones which show that you are creative and passionate which musicians often are. What a person does in their spare time says a LOT about what kind of person they are - and THAT is what women find attractive about guys who paint or play piano.

Quote:
Personally, I find it odd that what I do during my free time is important to girls when whatever it is, I'll probably not do it with them.
Why not? Okay, I don't expect you to sit down at a piano and play a duet with her or play for her all the time but what exactly would be the purpose of a relationship if you don't plan to spend your free time with her, sharing interests with her? That's not much of a relationship. A woman should be a part of your life and how can she be if you do not share with her at least some of the interests and hobbies you care about?

Quote:
I've never seen a girl paint a picture with an artist, but girls are attracted to that kind of careers.
Again, because it shows talent, skill, dedication, passion, creativity, etc. Plus, some of them probably hope he will paint a beautiful portrait of her, one of the ultimate symbols of romance. Likewise, a lot of women love the idea of being the inspiration for a song.

Quote:
Also, it seems that outgoing people are considered not "boring". But, that's kind of weird because there's already a word to described people who are not outgoing and that's "shy", so why do we have to say that they're boring? Basically, the type of people who girls deem interesting are just merely outgoing and have exotic hobbies. If you disagree with this, then please give an example of a "boring" person.
I don't agree with this at all - I know plenty of women who love the silent type of guys - I guess they think it's kind of mysterious. My guess is you are either young or you are interested in the wrong type of girls so you've experienced a lot of personality conflicts.

I do think "boring" is completely subjective. To me, someone who is boring would be someone who only talks about himself and isn't interested in learning about me. Or someone who doesn't seem to have any interests or hobbies - a lazy, unambitious kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 AM

29,777 posts, read 34,531,362 times
Quote:
Because it's not about wanting to hear music for free or cheap, it's about wanting to be with someone who shares similar interests, especially ones which show that you are creative and passionate which musicians often are. What a person does in their spare time says a LOT about what kind of person they are - and THAT is what women find attractive about guys who paint or play piano.
And I don't think it's limited to artistic pursuits--capability is attractive. If someone is good a cooking or fixing things or has a passion for art, that's attractive, especially if you share that interest.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:56 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,494,996 times
If you don't share some strong interests, you're probably boring.
If you don't have some passion in your life, you're probably boring.
If you don't make your date feel special, you're probably boring.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:06 AM

85 posts, read 238,611 times
Default Boring.

As one post stated, find someone with simular interest. It may work. Like ITZ stated. T.V,board games an........... is very boring for me. I hike and ride my bike all the time. If hiking, Im up to 30 miles a day. Just finished an 85 mile roundtrip on bike to Chicago. Next day my body wouldnt allow me to set. Up and out again. To me, that is so exiting. For others it may not be. I do feel if you spend a lot of time outdoors. It expands your mine even further. Meaning,if youre doing that. It keeps you away from booze and whateverelse. Not that I have to be concerned. Im into live Theater. Love people. And so much more. Hiking biking camping and fishing allows me to have time to do more. Think more. I think the most important thing is to Love people, dont be so quick to push people away. Now see. My babbling is getting boring. Later.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:26 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,527,767 times
I don't care about hobbies.

People who bore me are people with limited knowledge. For some reason, these people always have a lot of opinions on every subject. So you just sit there and listen to their uninformed yapping and try not to collapse out of boredom.

It has nothing to do with intelligence, I am just bored with people who aren't curious in life.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,785,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
People who bore me are people with limited knowledge.
My world must be too small. I haven't met one person with unlimited knowledge!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:41 AM

10,219 posts, read 17,945,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And I don't think it's limited to artistic pursuits--capability is attractive. If someone is good a cooking or fixing things or has a passion for art, that's attractive, especially if you share that interest.
Absolutely, I was only using the OP's own examples.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:46 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,746,806 times
As many have said here, boring is subjective. If you found someone who loved to do everything that you love to do, they probably wouldn't find you boring. If you don't want to develop other interests, because you find them boring, perhaps you should seek out people who only have the same interests as you ........ I'm quite sure they'd find you to be absolutely captivating! LOL

For me, if I was hooked up with someone who only liked to watch tv, play on the computer, sleep, read, play video games, etc., that would be B-O-R-I-N-G! I prefer to spend my time doing "productive" activities, learning how to do things I don't know how to do (and actually DOING them), going to my full-time job and actually having a great time, etc. Unproductive people bore the heck out of me. I don't mind conversing with them on an occasional basis, but if I had to live with them, ......well.....I just couldn't! They'd drive me crazy. I'm a doer.....an accomplisher who's full of life and energy.....but see, that's just me. As has been said, boring is subjective. I'm quite sure that there are many people out there who think I'm terribly boring. LOL

Old 07-19-2010, 10:47 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,746,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
JJ......I agree, me either. I have, however, met several people with an unlimited "thirst" for knowledge.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,290,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Today must be your lucky day, Julia! Let me introduce you tooooo... drumroll please... GeorgeLucasLongLostChin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships