Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:14 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,205,320 times

Advertisements

Try buttering a hot toasted english muffin then spread with cream cheese. Heavenly

BTW, I don't notice any difference in regular or low fat either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,498,866 times
Regular cream cheese is more dense than the neufchatel - but flavorwise same thing. Here's another favorite recipe I learned from my sis:

2 packages cream cheese, softened
4-5 green onions (scallions) sliced thin
1/3- 1/2 box of zante currants
1/2 jar mango chutney (make sure it doesn't contain ginger, it will taint the flavor of this recipe)
toasted coconut flakes*

Mix the cream cheese with the green onions and currants. pat into a big ball (or a log as I prefer) spread the top with chutney; sprinkle to coat with toasted coconut. turn onto serving dish, and coat the rest of your ball (or log) with the chutney, and then the coconut. Serve with hearty crackers like triscuits and watch this disappear at your next party. Beware - this is certifiably addictive!

*Toast the coconut in a dry skillet over medium heat - stir constantly, because the time to transition from toasted to toast (i.e. burnt coconut in your garbage can) is very short. Alternately, you can toast in on a cookie sheet in the oven, but still keep a keen eye on it!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:18 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,327,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I don't always have sour cream in the house. I buy it when we're planning on "making Mexican something or other" but aside from then, it's not a staple in my house. (I do love sour cream, though, so if it WAS always in the fridge, I'd *ahem* find an excuse for it.)
A little bit of an aside, but years ago, I learned that if you take cottage cheese and puree it in a food processor, it tastes A LOT like sour cream. I don't recommend it for recipes, necessarily -- never tried that -- but as a sour-cream alternative on baked potatoes, it totally rocks. Plus, it has WAY more protein than sour cream, so that's a bonus.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:44 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,113,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
A little bit of an aside, but years ago, I learned that if you take cottage cheese and puree it in a food processor, it tastes A LOT like sour cream. I don't recommend it for recipes, necessarily -- never tried that -- but as a sour-cream alternative on baked potatoes, it totally rocks. Plus, it has WAY more protein than sour cream, so that's a bonus.
OH! Great to know! Thanks!

Old 05-17-2010, 03:09 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,247,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Regular cream cheese is more dense than the neufchatel - but flavorwise same thing. Here's another favorite recipe I learned from my sis:

2 packages cream cheese, softened
4-5 green onions (scallions) sliced thin
1/3- 1/2 box of zante currants
1/2 jar mango chutney (make sure it doesn't contain ginger, it will taint the flavor of this recipe)
toasted coconut flakes*

Mix the cream cheese with the green onions and currants. pat into a big ball (or a log as I prefer) spread the top with chutney; sprinkle to coat with toasted coconut. turn onto serving dish, and coat the rest of your ball (or log) with the chutney, and then the coconut. Serve with hearty crackers like triscuits and watch this disappear at your next party. Beware - this is certifiably addictive!

*Toast the coconut in a dry skillet over medium heat - stir constantly, because the time to transition from toasted to toast (i.e. burnt coconut in your garbage can) is very short. Alternately, you can toast in on a cookie sheet in the oven, but still keep a keen eye on it!
OMG, I need to stay away from this evil cream cheese thread...... I'm putting on pounds just reading the recipes.....

Old 05-17-2010, 03:43 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,133,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
My absolute FAVORITE indulgent food is what my (olive-loving) friends call "Olive Goodness."
Sounds good. I will have to try that.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:29 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,794,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I put cream cheese in my mashed potaotoes and love the taste....What else can I do with cream cheese? I'd love to add cream cheese to everything I make....Does anyone have any ideas or recipes for the "everyday use" of cream cheese? Thanks ahead of time.
dice some jalapeno peppers, and mix them with cream cheese. use it as a filling/stuffing for meat.

i have had it with dove breasts, and venison. i am sure you can use more conventional meat.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:52 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,398,642 times
I love sweet potatoes but hubby doesn't. So when I make mashed potatoes I do 1/2 russets and 1/2 sweet potatoes (fresh - not canned). The sweet potatoes take longer to soften when boiling, so add them to the water first and let them start cooking. Add the russets about 10 minutes into the boil. When they're all soft, drain. Add a little butter and cream cheese to taste. Throw in some diced green onion and whip with an electric mixer. So heavenly. And I always use the light cream cheese as well. I've always been tempted to use a garden veggie cream cheese for my mashed potatoes, but I'm too afraid I'd ruin them.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:27 AM

5,121 posts, read 16,623,457 times
Cheese Ball

Cream cheese
Ranch dip package
Shredded sharp cheese
Bacon bits (not imitation, the real thing)
Chopped green onions (just the greens)
Chopped walnuts or sliced almonds

Mix cream cheese and ranch dip. Add bacon bits and onions.

If using walnuts, add walnuts. Chill mixture in fridge. Form into a ball and roll in shredded cheese until covered.

If using almonds, add shredded cheese to mixture and chill in fridge. Form into a ball and roll the ball in sliced almonds until covered.

Serve with a sturdy, low sodium cracker of your choice or with celery sticks, red pepper wedges or your favorite vegetable.

I don't use the whole Ranch dip packet as I think it makes the cheese ball too salty.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:06 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,331,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I ditto Niftybergin -- don't even LOOK at the fat free stuff. It'll hurt you! Seriously, it's pretty gross.

I'm not sure that I can tell the difference between light and regular cream cheese. Maybe in the beginning I could, when I first switched, but I can't even be certain that that was the case even then. It's 1/3 less fat and/or calories (I'm not sure which or both) and, honestly, the light stuff is pure goodness. I don't need the extra fat or calories. The light is heavenly enough.

I don't always have sour cream in the house. I buy it when we're planning on "making Mexican something or other" but aside from then, it's not a staple in my house. (I do love sour cream, though, so if it WAS always in the fridge, I'd *ahem* find an excuse for it.)

I'm a big cheese freak -- I always have Parmesan, sharp cheddar, and Dubliner in the house, and possibly another kind too.

But I will NOT drink milk. NEVER. And nobody can make me!

I'd definitely try the light cream cheese, though (but NOT the fat free) -- it's worth a try, and I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.
Thanks for the info.....It's interesting that we don't drink milk but love all kinds of dairy products. How about ice cream? I love ice cream....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes