Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:19 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times

Advertisements

Borsht
Green Borsht (different than beet Borsht – has more greens and fresh veggis, and stewed in kvas – a near beer type drink)
Pelmeni (like ravioli with potatoes or meet)
Perochki (fried bread dough with potatoes or meet)
Shi (standard soup often made with fish)
Black bread
Kasha – grain-type cereal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've had the pleasure of lamb stew in an Irish Pub......................in Andalucia..............on St Patrick's Day
The mind boggles . . . Where is the brogue? Where the rosy cheeks and freckles?? Ah laddie, 'tis bogglin' me mind is....

Old 07-19-2008, 07:05 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
When I first came upon this thread it stirred an old memory and then that memory got a boost when a previous poster brought up an Irish meal. Many moons ago before we could long on and google or yahoo I used my trusty encyclopedias to feed my desires to know things for the sake of knowing only. I had read in them about the diets of the Irish peasants as it related to the potato. A little blurb that stuck was that the Irish on average ate 8 lbs of potatoes per day. And it was during this reading I learned of the Irish Potato Famine. Today I dug some deeper armed with the internet and found that an Irish laborer could consume as many as 14 lbs of boiled potatoes per day. I didn't find recipes in the article I read. What I found I think was the most basic of all peasant foods. Just plain boiled potatoes. I'm not sure of the copyrights to posting a link after reading it at the bottom of the page. Anyone interested in this sad time in Irish history and the food connection and simply Google "Irish Famine" and find this article: "The History Place - Irish Potato Famine" I can't image living on 5 lbs of potatoes a day much less 14.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:17 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Havent read thru them all but if you google Greek Peasant Salad or Italian Peasant Salad, you'll get some simple basic recipes - unfort. they got messed up when trying to copy/paste - but they sounded pretty good.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:52 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
The mind boggles . . . Where is the brogue? Where the rosy cheeks and freckles?? Ah laddie, 'tis bogglin' me mind is....

All out in force, lots of ex-pats on the Costa

Old 07-19-2008, 11:48 PM

424 posts, read 1,675,434 times
Default Haluski with kapusta

If haluski with kapusta (cabbage and dumplings) counts, then I must be a peasant. I fix it it fairly often because I love it and it is pretty easy to do.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:59 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm a big fan of dishes that are normally classed as 'Peasant Food'.

If anyone has any recipes to share you're guaranteed an audience of at least one
Give me a big old bowl of navy beans cooked with salt pork and an onion. Don't forget the corn bread.

I have always wanted to cook up a mutton stew. Alas, finding mutton is next to impossible! It's on my "someday list".

I LOVE peasant food! Gourmet? fugetaboutit

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes