Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 09:51 AM

78 posts, read 128,946 times

Advertisements

Hello, One of my friends is having a birthday party potluck. She has asked for an Egyptian and/or middle eastern theme. What would you recommend to make and take? I'm guessing lots of people will revert to hummus and pita, so I'd like to do something a little more out of the box. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
In no particular order:

Chicken Shawarma
Kefta (either lamb or beef, or a mixture of both)
Mili dal
Tabouleh

Those are all relatively easy recipes that generally get rave reviews. I know I've posted our recipe for Mili Dal here before (probably on a thread about lentil recipes). Kefta are seasoned meatballs that are sometimes wrapped around a roasted almond, served with a yogurt sauce. Tabouleh is a very easy and delicious cold salad with a base of bulgar wheat flavored with parsley, tomato, lemon juice and olive oil. Chicken shawarma is strips of grilled marinated chicken that are broiled or flame-grilled, sometimes on a skewer. I can dig up our versions of all those later this afternoon for you if you like.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:41 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Chicken kabobs with toum sauce.

Egyptian Style Chicken Kebabs Recipe from mama hesham

Fast and Easy Toum – The Best Lebanese Garlic Sauce Recipe- The Food Blog

Made these last week, nom nom.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:13 PM

Mmmm. That all sounds really tasty. Thank you for the great ideas!

Old 01-08-2014, 03:09 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Kibbeh!

Kibbeh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mostly known as a Lebanese dish but common all over the Middle East including Egypt. Easy to make, too.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:26 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Had a chance to go through my recipes and found these:

Tabouleh

2 c. fine bulgar
1 ½ c. chopped tomato (use 3 Roma tomatoes or 2 small round tomatoes or 1 big one)
1 c. (or more) minced fresh parsley
½ c. minced green onions
½ c. lemon juice
½ c. olive oil
1 – 2 tsp. salt, pepper to taste

Place bulgar in a large bowl and cover with warm water. Let stand until the bulgar swells up and is fluffy. Drain the bulgar, squeezing out excess water (a clean dish towel works well for this).

Add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for several hours. Goes really well with marinated lamb kebabs, falafel, gyros, moussaka and similar dishes.

Mili Dal

1 Cup red lentils
1 Cup mung dal (split mung beans)
1 Tbs turmeric
1 Tbs salt
2 quarts water.

Place in pan, bring to boil, cook for 30-40 minutes. The soup will become quite thick and smooth, like a split pea soup.

1/4 cup vegetable Oil
1 whole red pepper
1 Tbs whole cumin
1/4 tsp asafetida

Heat oil in small pan. Add pepper and allow to brown. Add cumin and asafetida. Let cook for ~1 minute. Add to soup (carefully, the hot oil wants to spatter) and cover soup pan. Let sit for 5 minutes, then remove lid, stir and serve.

Still hunting for the chicken shawarma and the kefta. Will be back with those as soon as I unearth them.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:39 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
I'd go for the kefta. Sounds like in this situation, they'd be the Swedish meatball equivalent. With all those "salad" type dishes and dips, people might really like to have a lamb meatball on a toothpick. Or two. Or three. IMO, you'd be the hit of the party.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:47 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
We like a salad of sliced oranges, chopped dates, chopped almonds, a little coconut if you like and then sprinkle with orange blossom water.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:28 AM

I made Kefta using this recipe:

Moroccan Kefta Tagine Recipe - Kefta Mkaouara (Mkawra) with Tomato and Eggs

I did not add the eggs, but otherwise made it as written. (Oh, used two cans diced tomatoes instead of fresh).

It was amazing!!! Seriously, some of the best sauce I've ever had. It's definitely going in my regular recipe rotation. Thank you for all the help everyone!

Old 01-28-2014, 05:30 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
What about a salad? Cucumber or chickpea

Lebanese Food Recipes - Salads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes