Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:45 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,266 times

Advertisements

I absolutely love bul go gi. Does anyone have a good recipe for it? I also would like to know how to make those marinated bean sprouts in I think it is sesame oil that many Korean restaurants serve. Anyone know what they are? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 06:32 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,708 times
mix soy sauce, sesame oil, scallions, brown sugar and garlic. there is the marinade. some people use a little msg too. if you don't like, you can use papain as a tenderizer. or actually the sugar should tenderize it pretty much by itself after 24 to 48 hours. the longer it's marinated, the more tender and flavorful it will be. use a good marbelized cut of beef or any cut of meat if you know how to tenderize it. this can also be used for chicken or even pork. bulgogi beef is usually sliced thinner because it's stirfried.

variations on this include using apple, pear or even pineapple juice (from canned) instead of sugar. actually heating the marinade using apple or pear is the traditional recipe but is not required. i also like to add a little black pepper to the marinade.

a recipe i really like is where there is just garlic, little soy, sugar and mostly sesame oil. the meat is a little thicker cut and is grilled, it's delicious. it can be stir-fried. The easiest recipe I use is just plain sugar, soy sauce, pure sesame oil (must), black pepper, round onion and sliced mushrooms. mix all together and marinade for at least one day. eat with white or brown rice. delicious.

there is also bulgogi and kalbi (beef rib) premade marinade at most asian stores, not just korean. i've also seen basically the same marinade in regular grocers such as lawry's etc with basically the same ingredients.

the bean sprouts are sesame oil, sugar, salt, fresh garlic. lightly blanche sprouts as they cook super fast and add scallions with the above ingredients. add toasted sesame seeds if you like.

you can get all these ingredients at the local grocery chain except maybe the sprouts.

Last edited by leaana; 04-10-2009 at 07:57 PM..

Old 04-11-2009, 06:31 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,997 times
I found this incredible website a while ago. I love Korean food (I must have been Korean in a past life )

Maangchi's Korean Cooking Recipes, Videos, Podcast, Cookbook, DVD, and Blog

Bulgogi and bulgogi stew - Cooking Korean food with Maangchi

Have fun and enjoy!!!

Old 04-11-2009, 09:49 PM

There is another banchan (side dish like bean sprouts) with seaweed stems that I love also. Actually it is my all-time favorite nonfruit food. You can only find it in the cooler section of a korean grocer and you would have to make sure you talk to the owner to get the right package. Make sure you emphasize the "stem" part and "banchan" as their are other variations in seaweed that may look very similar but i can assure you they are not the same part of the seaweed. if you find one with the thin stringy ones in the picture you will be right but to be sure, ask someone. this is also different from the japanese even thinner seaweed salad and the seasonings are totally different. i personally can't stand the japanese version though i love a lot of japanese food. the korean one tastes better, more substantial and is more fit for a meal.

It will be mixed with rock or sea salt like the others except for the dry lavers which will be in a different department anyways.

It is so good and satisfying as a meal in itself with rice and has many vitamins, minerals, including calcium and protein. It's great for vegetarians too!

The basic seasoning staple for basic korean cuisine will always be pure sesame oil (the virgin dark color), soy sauce, and garlic. many people like to use msg but i've found adding a small amount of sugar can add the same subtle taste effect.

when you take it out of the package you will see wet seaweed stems that are a quarter of an inch think in diameter and fairly long in rock salt. Put in large bowl or strainer and rinse the salt off.

You will then have to put it in a large bowl or cooking pot with water for it to rebsorb the liquid it lost and also to deplete the remaining salt. i would say let it soak overnight so you can cook it the next day.

Drain water thoroughly so you just have the seaweed to work as it will be stirfried. Cut it in two inch long pieces which is bite size and stir fry on low heat with the above ingredients, except soy as it should still have enough salt in it. depending on how long it's been soaking in water, sometimes all the sodium is depleted, so what koreans usually add when stifrying it is some kind of powdered bouillion stock as a flavoring and also for salt. it can be any flavor from beef to fish.

Found this online from koamart.com
Pic of korean soup stock or bouillion (dashida) in beef flavor though it comes in clam and other seafood flavors.

http://www.koamart.com/images/products/1291_default.gif (broken link)

Pic of seaweed stems. This is not how it will look after cooked. It's how it looks right out of the package, notice the long stems and dark green color and how they are neatly packed together. It will be covered in sea salt so you will have to first rinse the salt off very well and submerge in water for at least four hours, easier overnight. the longer you soak the less salt there is, but like i said you can use the dashi to replace it and for seasoning.

http://www.koamart.com/images/products/2086_default.gif (broken link)

The seaweed stem is quite chewy if you don't simmer for a while so stifry it a good ten to fifteen minutes on very low to medium heat stirring constantly.

in this case, more sesame oil makes the dish. sesame oil is pretty good for you so you needn't worry.

eat with white rice. you can also eat this cold the next time around with your hot fluffy white or brown rice thereafter. you aren't supposed to reheat most banchan as they are to be eaten chilled to complement the hot rice or soup that goes with the meal but you can eat this with rice soon after cooking too, of course.

it looks a lot like thin transparent green beans with a beautiful light green color. it's very delicious and slightly chewy and slippery. i could eat this with rice and be totally satisfied.

Anyways, this is actually a very easy recipe if you break it down and try it as you'll see and have the basic ingredients. Experiment with how much of the seasonings you want to use, just remember the dashida goes a long way, you don't want to oversalt it since the seaweed should be seasoned enough already. taste it as you cook along adding a little as you go so you don't go overboard. also, if it's too chewy for you then you know you haven't cooked it long enough. i kind of like mine very slightly chewy and that's how it's supposed to be but not too chewy. your common sense will kick in regarding this anyways.

try it and you might like it!

Last edited by leaana; 04-11-2009 at 10:43 PM..

Old 04-12-2009, 12:23 AM

korean dumpling soup (very easy recipe)

use the beef dashida or any beef bouillion for the soup base or even vegetable bouillion. the korean bouillion is very comprehensive and is packed with flavor. you must get the dumplings from an asian store, you can even use chinese frozen dumplings. there is also just vegetable dumplings at korean stores too that contain soy and are delicious. actually that's my favorite kind.

boil dumplings in the bouillion broth and crack a couple raw eggs in and stir well to cook after dumplings looked pretty done. add a few drops of sesame oil if you like. some people add the "duk" which is just thin rice cakes like pasta but is not required as the dumplings are more than enough for the meal. you can toss some diced scallions on top if you want or not!

this is also an easy recipe just requiring the dumplings and eggs if you have the bouillion.

this is another great vegetarian alternative minus the eggs, using vegetable bouillion and vegetable dumplings.

korean version of curry.

UMMA YORI: Korean Curry Rice - Baekse Curry

what's convenient about this recipe is substituing and using this (golden curry below) in mild to hot variety which can be found at most conventional grocery chains in the asian section, always at any type of asian grocer. it has all the seasonings, salt and thickener for the curry so you don't need to gather separate ingredients. it's so delicious, it can just be made as a gravy to pour over rice by itself boiled with water. it's also a great vegetarian alternative as you don't have to use meat.

the recipe on the blog calls for zucchini and olive oil. actually you don't even need that. the basic potatoes, onion, and carrots is the staple for this curry. just pour over rice and serve. easy, healthy and delicious. there is a recipe on the back of the box anyways. lol

gosh, i must be really bored.

Last edited by leaana; 04-12-2009 at 12:58 AM..

Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,266 times
Thanks so much for all the ideas! Makes my mouth water just reading it!
Leeana, that seaweed one sounds good, I'll have to try it.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:19 AM

5,119 posts, read 16,594,883 times
I only like three Korean "dishes", Kimchi, Japchae and Daeji Bulgogi.

I've never made it at home, but my sister tried it for her family and it became a quick favorite. Here's the recipe:

Daeji-bulgogi (spicy thinly sliced pork)

Servings: 2 to 3 servings

Ingredients:
1 pound lean and boneless pork, cut into thin slices

MARINADE
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon crushed gingerroot
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons red pepper sauce
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons rice wine (sake)
2 tablespoons sesame oil

Instructions:
Combine all the ingredients for the marinade and stir in a large mixing bowl. Add the pork and marinate for 10 minutes. Ready to grill.

Now I'm craving it too!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:54 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
~sigh~ the only Korean restaurant we had closed down..... where am I going to get bebimbop, and those yummy little fishcakes?

Old 04-14-2009, 01:08 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,175 times
Kshe, I LOVE bebimbop too!!! Especially with the added egg!!! OMG!!! We don't have Korean anywhere here on Cape Cod, but I fell in love with their food when I lived in DC and NJ!!!! SO good!!!!!!!!!!!! Love Kimchi and the pork dishes mentioned and their sticky rice.... ugh.. now I'm hungry for it all!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:57 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Kshe, I LOVE bebimbop too!!! Especially with the added egg!!!
Here is the recipe from the website that I noted:

Bibimbap (Mixed rice with vegetables) - Cooking Korean food with Maangchi

I made a drive to the Korean grocery store and purchased a gallon tub of radish kimchi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes