Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 04:18 PM

25 posts, read 141,134 times

Advertisements

Our home has been listed for going on 2 months. We got an offer after 2 wks on the market, however the buyers financing fell thru and thus did our contract. Since then we've only had a few showings - maybe 3- in the past 6 wks. No other offers. We've only had one person who truely disliked the house and was nothing at all they were looking for, everyone else said nice house, right price - just not exactly what they were looking for. It's listed on MLS, Craigslist, etc. There are homes selling in our area, priced around $105 sq/ft, we're currently listed at $95 sq/ft. Nothing wrong with the house - just wanted to price to sell. We're wondering what the deal is...all the houses in our area are all about the same 3/2, 1200-1600 sf (we're at 1500), all have at least 1/2 acre (we have 1 acre), etc. I'm wondering what to do. We don't want to lower the price, because we're already at the low end. Our agent will only give generic responses "markets slow," "hoping for a sale," "getting inqueries but no lookers." And, I know 2 months is nothing right now, but we thought we'd be sold by now considering the price. Is the agent the problem? Perhaps needing to be more aggressive?
At any rate, after an offer falls thru...what's the average number of showings before another offer? We're just ready to MOVE at this point. Two kids, a stay at home mom, trying to keep the house spotless, while my husband is away 4-5 nights/week is straining everyone. Any advise is appreciated. We're in the Greater Nashville area if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 04:24 PM

15,594 posts, read 40,497,229 times
I don't know about TN, but our market dies right before the holidays. My clients rarely have showings for the next 8 weeks. Unless you have to move, most people don't want to move over the holidays.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:45 PM

584 posts, read 1,341,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weddedbliss View Post
Our home has been listed for going on 2 months. We got an offer after 2 wks on the market, however the buyers financing fell thru and thus did our contract. Since then we've only had a few showings - maybe 3- in the past 6 wks. No other offers. We've only had one person who truely disliked the house and was nothing at all they were looking for, everyone else said nice house, right price - just not exactly what they were looking for. It's listed on MLS, Craigslist, etc. There are homes selling in our area, priced around $105 sq/ft, we're currently listed at $95 sq/ft. Nothing wrong with the house - just wanted to price to sell. We're wondering what the deal is...all the houses in our area are all about the same 3/2, 1200-1600 sf (we're at 1500), all have at least 1/2 acre (we have 1 acre), etc. I'm wondering what to do. We don't want to lower the price, because we're already at the low end. Our agent will only give generic responses "markets slow," "hoping for a sale," "getting inqueries but no lookers." And, I know 2 months is nothing right now, but we thought we'd be sold by now considering the price. Is the agent the problem? Perhaps needing to be more aggressive?
At any rate, after an offer falls thru...what's the average number of showings before another offer? We're just ready to MOVE at this point. Two kids, a stay at home mom, trying to keep the house spotless, while my husband is away 4-5 nights/week is straining everyone. Any advise is appreciated. We're in the Greater Nashville area if that helps.
It is really not a good time to sell your house unless you have to in my opinion.
If your house sqt and priced well comparable Vs some other houses around . I then would look for how to stage things around to make it feel more comfortable/airy. Could use a couple of hundreds in painting would makes a world of difference.
3 shows last 6 weeks has to do with this time of year beside we are in a bad economy.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weddedbliss View Post

There are homes selling in our area, priced around $105 sq/ft, we're currently listed at $95 sq/ft.
Just curious is $105 the asking price of your competition or the very recent sold/closed prices of comparable properties?

Has anything comparable gone under contract or sold/closed, since you have been listed?

This is unfortunately, the toughest season to get sold, in many areas of the U.S.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:21 PM

Yes, they're selling for around $100-105 sq/ft., some lower, some higher. Several have went under contract/closed since we've listed, I'd say around 5-10 .. some of those could have been under contract before our listing though. We knew it would be hard to sell this time of year, but it's just how it worked out-it was out of our control. Dh got transferred and so he's in another state all week, leaving me and the kids here - we have no family here so it's me, the kids and our friends. It's incredibly hard (especially on the kids), and we thought pricing it below the comps would result in a faster sale...guess we were wrong. We're just ready to sell and be a family again.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:30 PM

44 posts, read 178,808 times
There is no average number of showings until you get another offer. A motivated buyer is not affected by the holidays, snow,(Im in NY) or anything else. Have your agent switch the pictures around, change the description, and do check, what has sold within the past 6 months. If no sales at all that's a problem. Have your agent do both a public and broker open house. Depending on how badly you want to move, and if the proceeds allow your next move, then you may seriously may have to consider a price break.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:41 PM

17,476 posts, read 14,724,420 times
Here's what I want to know - how many homes (comparable to yours) have gone under contract since your house came back on the market after your deal fell?

If things are selling, there's a problem with your price, condition or location. (Though price fixes all.)

If things aren't selling, there's a problem with your market. And unless you're willing to lower your price significantly, there's pretty much nothing you can do.

As an agent, I can bring customers to my listings. If those customers don't exist, my hands are tied.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:12 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,500,441 times
If you have read many of threads here you know that I am a harsh critic of "square foot pricing". If your house is BIGGER than the others it may be that you end up just being too high for people to even consider when they do query between specific price ranges which IS THE MOST COMMON method for buyers to employ.

If you are at $142,500 and most buyers (just a guess...) are topping out at $140K then they NEVER even see your listing!

If your home's photos do not look as good as those of the other homes online that COULD be far more important than pricing -- places that are photographed well tend to have far lower "click through rates" regardless of how inexpensive they are.

I would not worry about your absolute time on the market YET -- as right now it is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT that your time on market RELATIVE to the other homes that compare to your home is LESS. Ask your agent if they have that data, and if there are homes that are FRESHER than your home you better not have a HIGHER listing price unless your home is a STUNNER... Come Valentines day if you have not gone under contract it would be fair to say that there is SOMETHING wrong with your listing unless you are still the FRESHEST listing (shortest time on market...).

OF course you'd be nuts to just sit around doing NOTHING with a looming relocation SO you need to work with your agent to generate some traffic. VERY VERY VERY hard this time of year. Price cut might not even work, as pretty all areas (except for those with lots of 'snow birds'...) tend to see major fall off in activity.

Redoing photos is smart, as is anything you can do to increase the exposure of the your listing to those who might be shopping. Your agent should be able to suggest the smartest efforts to target other agents, potential intra-neighborhood movers, down sizers, move up buyers, or other groups.

Good Luck!

Old 11-22-2009, 08:39 PM

40,964 posts, read 49,283,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I don't know about TN, but our market dies right before the holidays. My clients rarely have showings for the next 8 weeks. Unless you have to move, most people don't want to move over the holidays.
We are pretty much the same with not much activity until about Jan 4. Time for us all to go on vacation for awhile. Ski season calls.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Here's what I want to know - how many homes (comparable to yours) have gone under contract since your house came back on the market after your deal fell?

If things are selling, there's a problem with your price, condition or location. (Though price fixes all.)

If things aren't selling, there's a problem with your market. And unless you're willing to lower your price significantly, there's pretty much nothing you can do.

As an agent, I can bring customers to my listings. If those customers don't exist, my hands are tied.
I checked, and of course the public site isn't 100% up to date, but there are about 4 homes like ours that have sold since our contract fell thru. Not a huge number. The market is steady, but not fast by any means. There was one house that was 90% comparable to ours, it had about 100 sf more that sold within the past month, it had a converted garage where ours doesn't-hence the more square footage. We really don't want to drop the price a lot more because we'd be extremely low end without a lot of room to negotiate and still have some money left to relo and find another house. We don't want to give it away but we don't really want to keep living in separate houses either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate