Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:44 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,422,785 times

Advertisements

We have had our home listed for a little over 4 months. Our showings seem to be a bit eradic lol. some weeks we get a couple, and we can go two to three weeks before more showings. we get great comments when people do go through, with very little negatives. any ideas as to what we should do? our relators are doing as much as they can. listing our home in mags, newspapers. we have a sign in our backyard (that over looks a street) we have plenty of fliers (never have gone one day without any in there) they seem to go pretty well. The only bad thing we can find is the ammount of HUD homes in our neiborhood has gone up, and alot of lender owned homes. were priced just above other comps with the lender owned, and huds the only ones being quite a bit lower.

Our place is in great condition, we have worked hard to keep it there. Just getting a little worried, our new home should be finished with construction in a month to two months, and we have not had much activity with the current one.

Here is the listing.

url removed

Last edited by Marka; 08-09-2007 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: use PM if needed, please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 06:22 AM

2,638 posts, read 7,439,183 times
I'm not qa fan of the first photo I see on a realtor.com. When I list townhomes and condos, I use an interior shot first. Take a new photo for where picture #4/9 is so you can not see the computer desk. The walls are very white, which makes it feel sort of institutional.

I don't know about the price, but if other units in your community sold or went under deposit that were similiar to yours, I could consider a price reduction.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:51 AM

8 posts, read 75,967 times
The home looks clean and well kept. I would probably remove the computer station out of the living room area. It doesn't make it seem like a relaxing environment. Add warm color on the walls instead of the builders white. Maybe a splash of red or blue accessories. Looks too brown. Buyers want to see that you added extra touches and feel like they are getting there moneys worth. Your home has to stand out from the rest. It looks like you did your best to "stage" your home.
I hope this did not come off too negative. If all that does not work then I would have to agree jdhall1, you may have to consider a price reduction if the market is not bearing it. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2007, 09:51 AM

there are two similar units that have been on as long as we have. I have not talked to them to see if they are getting alot of showings ither.

The walls in the living room, and kitchen are a grey. I tried to talk my wife into putting her computer in storage, but she said that she still needed it. There is also no other place in the unit to put it
(main reason why we are getting a bigger place. were completely out of space here)

we have done several price reductions during the time its been up. each time we get a surge in visits. but it then settles down after a week or so. The house shows great, its getting people in to look at it.

our two main complaints, that we have no control over
1. its rear yard is off a street (although traffic noise is not that bad)
2. there is no powder room on the main floor.
others have included carpet needs replaced (took care of)

Old 08-04-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstellar View Post
The home looks clean and well kept. I would probably remove the computer station out of the living room area. It doesn't make it seem like a relaxing environment. Add warm color on the walls instead of the builders white. Maybe a splash of red or blue accessories. Seems to brown. Buyers want to see that you added extra touches and feel like they are getting there moneys worth. Your home has to stand out from the rest. It looks like you did your best to "stage" your home. I hope this did not come off too negative. If all that does not work then I would have to agree jdhall1, you may have to consider a price reduction if the market is not bearing it. Good luck!
the computer in the living room is a necessity. I wish i could put it in storage, but I do work at home occationaly, and we do our finances off of it. there was no other place to move it in the house, so we ended up instead trying to create the appearance of two spaces in the HUGE living room.

the master bedroom is also a medium tan. guess the pictures dont do the colors that are in the house well lol.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:12 AM

8 posts, read 75,967 times
As an accredited staging professional, my advice is to create the appearance of space. If space is your issue, that is what buyers see as well. Can your wife use the computer in the bedroom? Although, I am not a fan of having one in the bedroom either, but that is my opinion and that is something you and your wife need to agree on. Whatever made you want to buy the particular unit is the same emotion you want to convey to your buyers. Hope this helps.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:30 AM

The computer in the bedroom is my wifes computer. the one in the living room is mine. I know its HUGE, I design homes for a living, and use some pretty extensive CAD programs. as well as other stuff that is a nescessity. We have moved about 1/3-1/2 of the stuff we did have in the house into storage to make the place look as big as it can. Which i feel we did a good job at. I think ill have my relator replace the picture of the front of the house, and retake some of the interior, and try to accentuate the colors that are in here.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:43 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,234,803 times
I think the fact that you only have 1 bath is what's killing you. I know that nothing can be done about that. But if another development nearby is offering 1.5 baths at around the same price, it is going to draw people away from you. However, I don't understand how the people that are actually coming to see your house are complaining that there is only 1 bath when it clearly states that in your ad

Old 08-04-2007, 10:59 AM

not sure ither. lol

If we had the funds available. the pantry just outside the kitchen is large enough to convert to a powder room. the plumbing runs right under the spot. and there is a vent. already installed in the laundry area that can be tied into. but we dont have the funds to do any conversions

the other townhomes listed in our area, are ither very old. boast the same features, or are brand new, but higher priced.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:07 AM

294 posts, read 1,087,183 times
I think I might have a solution for your computer. I had the same issue with mine, except I wasn't selling I just didn't like the look of it in my living room, I purchased a tall Amoire, one that houses computers and totally covers everything when the doors are closed. It looks great, when I don't use the computer I close the doors and it looks like part of the furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate