Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 12:37 PM

845 posts, read 2,330,263 times

Advertisements

Actually, it was their contract (WFC asset management). Yes, the short sale sellers do have a deed, but as you stated, they cannot convey--BECAUSE THEY DON'T OWN IT. There is no need to split legal hairs here. If you want to drag suckers through shortsales for 6 months be my guest. It's not a sound way of doing business, and the REO purchase process is bad enough. There are way more post on C-D about problems with short sales than REO. The lady next door to me in Summerlin hadn't paid on her property in a year (even after a modification). They did a quick short sale, five months ago, and I just checked and she is still the owner, even though she moved out the same day as me (I had a 51K check in my hand), she was loading a cat urine soaked sofa onto a moving van.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 12:43 PM

43,389 posts, read 77,310,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
Actually, it was their contract (WFC asset management). Yes, the short sale sellers do have a deed, but as you stated, they cannot convey--BECAUSE THEY DON'T OWN IT. There is no need to split legal hairs here. If you want to drag suckers through shortsales for 6 months be my guest. It's not a sound way of doing business, and the REO purchase process is bad enough. There are way more post on C-D about problems with short sales than REO. The lady next door to me in Summerlin hadn't paid on her property in a year (even after a modification). They did a quick short sale, five months ago, and I just checked and she is still the owner, even though she moved out the same day as me (I had a 51K check in my hand), she was loading a cat urine soaked sofa onto a moving van.

The seller CAN convey if he can get a price that will cover the debt. See, the seller owns the property.

But, why would a lender loan money on a property that the borrower did not own?
Must be a local lending idiosyncracy.
That would be "innovative" here, and the consequences of filing a lien on Joe's property for a debt contracted by Bob could be extensive.
I don't consider that a "legal hair." That is cognizant of fundamental property rights.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:23 PM

845 posts, read 2,330,263 times
That's why you get Title Insurance. And yes, the bank will not loan money on something with a lien against it.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 PM

43,389 posts, read 77,310,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
That's why you get Title Insurance. And yes, the bank will not loan money on something with a lien against it.
How is this relevant to the thread?
But, to play along....
So, as long as there is not a lien, I can borrow money against your property?

Someone's headed for the lock up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate