Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:23 PM

419 posts, read 846,363 times

Advertisements

I bought my first home last summer.

I recently received a letter from a local R.E. agent from a national realty company. The agent states he has a client who wants to purchase my home, all cash with a short closing. The letter says to contact him directly to commence the process.

Foremost, I am not interested in selling. Maybe this is a R.E. tactic to prey on new home buyers who realize they can't afford the mortgage payments or have buyer's remorse. The "all cash" offer is probably way below market value.

Normally I'd toss a letter like this but,

1. The letter was hand addressed to me. It wasn't bot-generated and or computer printed like the other solicitations I've received. The envelope's writing matches the agent's signature on the letter.

2. Maybe the R.E.A.'s client had viewed the property during open house last summer. But the client missed out on writing an offer by the time I had a signed contract to buy it. In that case I would like to inform the agent/client to move on to another property.

3. It feels weird that some client and realtor could be obsessing over my home. I'd rather not have them knocking or stalking me out front.

I will have no problem ignoring the letter if this is a common R.E.A. solicitation to new buyers. If it's legit, I am wondering how to handle it: Should I send a brief e-mail to the R.E.A. saying thanks but I'm not interested in selling? Or just ignore the letter anyway?

Last edited by MerriMAC; 01-25-2014 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 08:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
I get those letters all the time for my house and my rentals. All are in very desirable areas for one reason or another. I just shred them. I wouldn't bother with a response.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:28 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,255,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
I bought my first home last summer.

I recently received a letter from a local R.E. agent from a national realty company. The agent states he has a client who wants to purchase my home, all cash with a short closing. The letter says to contact him directly to commence the process.

Foremost, I am not interested in selling. Maybe this is a R.E. tactic to prey on new home buyers who realize they can't afford the mortgage payments or have buyer's remorse. The "all cash" offer is probably way below market value.

Normally I'd toss a letter like this but,

1. The letter was hand addressed to me. It wasn't bot-generated and or computer printed like the other solicitations I've received. The envelope's writing matches the agent's signature on the letter.

2. Maybe the R.E.A.'s client had viewed the property during open house last summer. But the client missed out on writing an offer by the time I had a signed contract to buy it. In that case I would like to inform the agent/client to move on to another property.

3. It feels weird that some client and realtor could be obsessing over my home. I'd rather not have them knocking or stalking me out front.

If this is a common R.E.A. solicitation to new buyers, I will have no problem ignoring the letter. If it's not, I am wondering how to handle it: Should I send a brief e-mail to the R.E.A. saying thanks but I'm not interested in selling? Or just ignore it anyway?
Ignore.

Happens all the time.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:34 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,918,577 times
Completely normal junk mail. Be sure to also ignore the letters about mortgage insurance, refinancing, and second mortgages.

If you stay there long enough you'll get junk mail about reverse mortgages and burial plots.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:34 PM

542 posts, read 1,548,695 times
As others have said, it is junk. Investors are trying to get good properties for cheap, and are hoping a cash offer will entice a few owners to sell (so, it is a real offer to buy your home, but you will not get a good offer anywhere near market value). Those letters get sent to lots of owners, not just people who recently bought. I just toss them.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:09 AM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times
It is not necessarily junk mail. It may be quite sincere, since one never knows for sure unless one asks.

With very low inventory in this area, I have a client who has targeted a few neighborhoods.
I am contemplating similar marketing. It is very time consuming, with a very low chance of success, but I am considering it.

But, since you have no interest in selling, I agree with others. Just toss it out.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:05 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Since I just started advertising one of my rentals I have gotten a lot of email offers for if I want to sell or offers to RTO. I politely decline either offer. I'm sure it gets some thinking to sell and it. Works otherwise RE agents wouldn't be doing it

Old 01-26-2014, 06:43 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times
I'm not sure how you are interpreting this as a scam for buyers. Sellers, maybe.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
I get those "we want to buy your home" solicitations all the time for a house we own in a very desirable neighborhood. However, I've also written letters for clients who want to live in a particular neighborhood, who, after viewing everything currently on the market, have seen houses (from the outside) that look like they might be what they're looking for, and have successfully closed deals this way. I've usually checked the MLS and tax records to make sure the house isn't a recent purchase, but perhaps not all agents do that.

Either way, if you're not interested in selling, no response is necessary.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:13 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,316 times
Probably junk mail.. if you respond to it, you are probably just setting yourself up for a harder sales pitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate