Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2022, 05:46 PM

7,628 posts, read 3,271,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Though not a lot and build we bought a house for that in cash. We could have done double that if we sold stock but that would have meant a house that was much too big. Just average people who never bought anything they couldn’t pay cash for. We also did not have kids so I will admit that helped a lot. Sure my husband came home with how so and so bought a brand new BMW for his kid but cars were never my idea of wealth. I was happy driving my 10 year old car. Today at 67 and 68 we have no financial worries, can’t say as much for the BMW guy.
Yeah, my favorite car is paid for too. Most BMW's are leased.

1. BMW (77% Leased)

Lease Finance Cash
77% 10% 13%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 03:03 PM

840 posts, read 694,798 times
I will say the closer I get to the finish line the more motivated I am, and I'm taking pride with the results. Regardless the payment is going to be hell though

Old 11-28-2022, 04:20 PM

447 posts, read 743,770 times
Default creating income

To the average real estate investor I would say congrats! You took $250k and turned it into roughly $400K of equity. I get that cash flow is tight but it does make sense to live in it a few years from a tax and personal perspective. I would recommend getting a line of credit against that equity in case of an emergency. Did you ever consider maybe renting a room, or maybe renting out some of your land to campers? You could create some affordable glamping sites on that 3.1 acres and be the local property manager. It will keep your mind busy and the conversation flowing with your guests. You just need to reverse engineer the numbers to fit your comfort. If a 3k mortgage is more your speed then find ways to make an extra 1K a month to offset that 4K number that's giving you stress. Wishing you the best!

Old 11-29-2022, 06:37 AM

We originally discussed doing mini cabins for extra income as that Torch Lake is a big draw. The local township has an ordinance against short term rentals though, and in the end I really didnt want a bunch of people sharing our beach so it was just as well I suppose.

Even though our payment is horrible, I do know that we have nearly doubled what we came into this with, and in tracking house sales it seems as though northern Michigan lake houses havent taken as big of a hit (so far anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
To the average real estate investor I would say congrats! You took $250k and turned it into roughly $400K of equity. I get that cash flow is tight but it does make sense to live in it a few years from a tax and personal perspective. I would recommend getting a line of credit against that equity in case of an emergency. Did you ever consider maybe renting a room, or maybe renting out some of your land to campers? You could create some affordable glamping sites on that 3.1 acres and be the local property manager. It will keep your mind busy and the conversation flowing with your guests. You just need to reverse engineer the numbers to fit your comfort. If a 3k mortgage is more your speed then find ways to make an extra 1K a month to offset that 4K number that's giving you stress. Wishing you the best!

Old 11-29-2022, 07:12 AM

21,889 posts, read 12,991,949 times
It sounds like you're getting more comfortable with the idea.

Just don't get so comfortable that you never leave!

Old 11-29-2022, 07:54 AM

You may be right, feeling a bit resigned these last few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It sounds like you're getting more comfortable with the idea.

Just don't get so comfortable that you never leave!

Old 11-29-2022, 02:20 PM

7,628 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Let's reassess in the Spring! The whole thing is a moving target. I'd just get it done so I'd have options.

Old 11-29-2022, 02:49 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
We originally discussed doing mini cabins for extra income as that Torch Lake is a big draw. The local township has an ordinance against short term rentals though, and in the end I really didnt want a bunch of people sharing our beach so it was just as well I suppose.

Even though our payment is horrible, I do know that we have nearly doubled what we came into this with, and in tracking house sales it seems as though northern Michigan lake houses havent taken as big of a hit (so far anyway)
Could you post a photo or two of your beach? I know it may be covered with snow right now.

The other photos you have posted in this thread have been interesting.

Has the snow slowed down work on the house?

Old 11-29-2022, 05:59 PM

It has slowed us a bit (the snow), we got dumped on pretty good, much of it melted but now its about to be in the 20's again. I did put the steel roof on the porch the other day, and today was siding trim in the rain.

I'd love to post more pics, didnt want to bore you guys with them.

And
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Could you post a photo or two of your beach? I know it may be covered with snow right now.

The other photos you have posted in this thread have been interesting.

Has the snow slowed down work on the house?

Old 11-29-2022, 06:02 PM

From the listing and when I first put the flooring on
Attached Thumbnails
My dilemma-2364-photo.jpg  

Last edited by lpranger467; 11-29-2022 at 06:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate