Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:28 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,441,681 times

Advertisements

An agent in the complex we live in came to our house to open it for the management/firemen when our alarm was going off in our house while we were gone. It had done that the previous day as well and the management knew their was no fire, that the alarm had been acting up. But when they found they couldn't get in. They called him and he used the key from the lock box to let everyone into our house. Does he have the right to do that?

If the firemen needed to get in i suppose they would just break the door in ??

But the management were the ones to call the realtor to let them in.

Is the realtor in the wrong? I cant believe he did that. That is not what the key is meant for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 05:36 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,159,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
An agent in the complex we live in came to our house to open it for the management/firemen when our alarm was going off in our house while we were gone. It had done that the previous day as well and the management knew their was no fire, that the alarm had been acting up. But when they found they couldn't get in. They called him and he used the key from the lock box to let everyone into our house. Does he have the right to do that?

If the firemen needed to get in i suppose they would just break the door in ??

But the management were the ones to call the realtor to let them in.

Is the realtor in the wrong? I cant believe he did that. That is not what the key is meant for.
I don't know what your local laws are so I'm going to respond from what I consider a common sense perspective. If I've got my house listed with a real estate agent, nobody is at home, my alarm goes off, the fire department wants to get in, the real estate agent is available to unlock the door and check out things with the fire department, then the first thing I would do is thank my real estate agent for looking out for my best interests. The second thing I would do is get the alarm fixed or shut it off.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:43 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,441,681 times
It's NOT our agent. We wouldn't have minded if it was our agent, but it was just some random agent. Our management called the fire dept even though they knew the alarm was having problems.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:46 PM

27,217 posts, read 46,791,599 times
I would thank anyone who helped out to prevent a fire or what else could have happened. What if no one would have done anything and the appartment was burned. Would you be writing here why nobody responded?

Old 02-04-2008, 05:55 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,111,795 times
A false alarm one day could easily be a real alarm the next day.
If you don't like the fact that your management asked that particular person to open your door, then make arrangements with them to have someone else open the door if necessary.
And fix the alarm :-)
I've seen first-hand what a home looks like after it's been burned to the ground. Fire is nothing to mess with. Better safe than sorry.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,325,306 times
I serve on the Board of my local fire district and had been a volunteer fireman for over 20 years. Would you prefer the fire department made forcible entry? Only takes a few seconds, but can damage the building.

If your fire alarm is reporting a fire emergency, we're obligated to show up and investigate. Even if open flames aren't visible, we need to get inside to make sure there isn't an electrical short or smoldering fire in a closet. False alarms are common enough, but I've seen a situation where we had been to the same address several times in one day and on the 4th time there actually WAS a fire.

Instead of being mad, I think you ought to thank the management company for their diligence in not having your property damaged.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:00 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,159,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
It's NOT our agent. We wouldn't have minded if it was our agent, but it was just some random agent. Our management called the fire dept even though they knew the alarm was having problems.
Would you have felt better if he had told the fire department he wouldn't unlock the door and then the fire department broke the door down? Sounds to me like he was just trying to be a good citizen. I think he still needs to be thanked. To many times in today's society people sit on the sidelines and don't help their fellow citizens when help is needed.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:06 PM

29 posts, read 82,454 times
I would be more concerned about your managment company and the agreement that you have with them. If they are to look out for your interests and this was the only thing to do then maybe but I don't know the circumstances of your agreement/contract.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:11 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,788,051 times
I would thank:
the management company for calling the agent,
The agent for coming out and opening your door,
And the fire department for responding so quickly.

They all deserve your thanks.

Had the mgt company and the agent not pitched in to help, you would probably be repairing some damaged doors or windows.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:12 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,279,114 times
Yeah I would probably thank that agent for helping out...and maybe he liked your unit and might recommend it to one of his clients!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate