Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:35 PM

631 posts, read 2,449,795 times

Advertisements

By management of the complex are you talking about a landlord of a rental?
If so, they had every right to do what they did.
Also management should have a key for access anyway.

I can see the latest headlines.

Realtor had Key! Would not let fire department in when fire alarm went off!
In our line of work, we're damned if we do, damned if we don't.
We just have to make our best judgement calls sometimes and hope for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 10:53 AM

24 posts, read 73,418 times
Amazes me when some one tries to help and then someone turns around and wants to sue them or cry foul. Just amazing ! I would love to live in a place that more people had concern for my property enough to go to lenghts to protect it for me when I am away.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:00 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,284,820 times
i'm with gbone here. Go shake the man's hand and say thank you very much.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:58 AM

23,910 posts, read 33,712,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
An agent in the complex we live in came to our house to open it for the management/firemen when our alarm was going off in our house while we were gone. It had done that the previous day as well and the management knew their was no fire, that the alarm had been acting up. But when they found they couldn't get in. They called him and he used the key from the lock box to let everyone into our house. Does he have the right to do that?

If the firemen needed to get in i suppose they would just break the door in ??

But the management were the ones to call the realtor to let them in.

Is the realtor in the wrong? I cant believe he did that. That is not what the key is meant for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I wouldn't be repairing anything...as the management would handle any damages to the exterior (doors included) to the home.

Also mangament MADE us install the alarm. We did not want it. They have to get it fixed and they have been VERY slow to do so.
We have regular fire alarms in our home now cause we dont trust the one they put in.

I don't understand your alarm arrangement. We have Guardian, if an alarm goes off we are called, 1st the house, then my cell. If I don't answer they call hubby's cell.

Sounds to me that you are wired to the management office, then they make the decision on what to do?

Yes I'd be upset about the whole thing. If your alarm isn't working, it needs to be fixed asap. Could be something like the backup battery is going. The fact sounds like the management company isn't taking care of getting the alarm fixed, I would write letters (nice) to get it done.

Next, the fire department came out. You have a faulty alarm and this could or could not be a true fire, they have to respond if called. Running a rig isn't cheap.. if you have responders that are volunteer, they took time away from their job / life to come out to a false alarm. I suggest to you to make a donation to the fire company.. $50 to $100 should at least cover the diesel they used to drive there.

I agree that it was nice a real estate agent came to open the door. A thank you card to them for taking their time / gas to come out. You can also buy them a gas card as a thank you.

It could have been worst. It could have been a real fire or they could have broken your door down.

What happens next is up to you. If it was me, speaking to the management would be top priority, then letting them know it needs to be fixed. Also plan to have it go off again and what course of action to take.. calling you 1st? Express to them that you do not want someone coming into your house if that is what you want. It's your house & your call.

Good luck. Let us know how you made out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate