Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:48 AM

922 posts, read 1,110,715 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been trying to buy a house in CA for a year now and none of our offers have been accepted. We've offered less, asking price and more than asking price but there's always another buyer coming in a little higher than we are able to pay. We got very frustrated last summer and started to talk about moving to TX. We've always been interested in TX and my DH has some family in Dallas (who are also CA transports) so we decided to halt our search in CA and see what TX had to offer us. My DH set up job interviews and we explored the DFW metroplex and suburbs for several days. In the end, we decided that we couldn't justify a move to TX without guaranteeing the same pay that DH gets out here- it just seemed pointless to do so much for less money. Now, after bidding and losing out on our 6th house here in CA, it seems dumb to NOT have gone to TX.

The thing is, my parents and siblings flipped out when we told them that we were considering TX. We told them that we wanted a lower cost of living, the ability to actually buy a nice home and send our children to stellar schools but they did not respond well. I'll admit that the treatment DH and I received from them (yeah, I forgot to mention that DH and I live directly next door to them in a rental that we get for half of what it's worth because I know the owner and we are DONE with this house) played a large impact on my decision to stay in CA. I didn't think that I could handle their craziness and guilt trips if we moved to TX; now, I'm realizing that I put their feelings before my own and that was very stupid of me.

The city that we've been looking into in CA is called Yucaipa and while it's a very nice smaller city that's growing and has a lot of beautiful scenery, the schools aren't stellar- they're good, but not great. The shopping isn't as varied and you need to drive to the surrounding cities in order to get a lot of shopping done. And the houses in our price range (250K) are older and many need some serious updating, not to mention that the inventory of homes is super low. It's hard to look at what we can get out here in CA for 250K and see what 150K buys you in places like Hurst or Bedford in TX.

A few things happened that have made us consider TX again:

1. My DH's grandfather passed away recently and left his estate to his 2 children and 4 grandchildren. DH and I do NOT want to use any of the money he's going to inherit for a house wherever we go, as we are able to do a conventional loan with our own savings. We'd rather create a larger safety net for ourselves with the money and look into investing it intelligently. But this brings me into #2.

2. My SIL and her family are going to need to be moving out of their house in the near future- they rent an investment property from my MIL and FIL. My in-law's are divorcing and have decided that the family home (where MIL lives) and their investment property (where SIL is) are going to sold. My FIL moved out of the family home 2 years ago (they've been dragging their feet on their divorce) and moved in with his father, whom is the one who passed away recently. THAT house (grandfather's house) is also going to be sold so now my FIL, along with my MIL and my SIL are all needing new places to live.

3. My DH's entire family- all my in-laws- have been seriously talking about moving to TX. All of us are at a cross-roads in our lives and it's all happening at the same time, which seems fateful to some extent. DH and I haven't been able to buy a house in CA. My SIL and her family need/want a fresh start and so do my FIL and MIL. My FIL and MIL would be spending a huge chunk of their divorce settlements on buying houses here in CA as opposed to TX. I know it seems weird that they're both wanting to go to TX even though they're divorcing but they're friendly and civil and just want to be happy and be with all of us.

The main thing that is holding my DH and I back is my DH's job out here in CA. He has a very stable job with solid benefits and the opportunity to eventually grow (although it takes awhile) and is able to continually get certified in new avenues of his field that his employer pays for (i.e. classes that cost $2k per person and give him more knowledge and certification) and is considered to be the most valuable employee there. My DH has a career that would definetly move to TX with no problem (he's in the HVAC field) but we're both nervous about him leaving his position here for a new job in TX.

We can't decide. Should we leave my DH's stable job, a precarious housing market and "okay" schools behind or go to a new job, which can't offer security without time, a much more accessible housing market and better schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 10:40 AM

286 posts, read 450,167 times
I don't think this belongs in the real estate forum.
I do think that you should follow your heart and not worry about your family. They will forgive you and love you the same. California is really expensive and the only thing it offers is beautiful weather and scenery.

As far as DH's job goes, maybe he can expand his HVAC into building maintenance which all cities carry high paying positions with great pay and HVAC is one of a few requirements. You don't want to risk to much so try lining up a few interviews first. Good Luck.

Disclaimer: I'm a CA native hoping to move to TX in the next few months.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:54 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
I can't offer up any advice as to CA versus TX, but I can share with you my experience which is a bit similar. 13 years ago we decided to move from our highly taxed, relatively expensive state (not CA expensive though) to our original home state with much lower taxes. We've never looked back. Soon after we moved one of my siblings joined us in our new home town. A year later my parents bought a home here. Your family is already thinking about a move. My guess is that at least one of them would join you in TX.

As an aside, the real estate tax savings alone in those 13 years was enough to put 1.5 children through college.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:00 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
You are frustrated that your bids are too low so you want your husband to leave a stable job with good benefits. What is the big deal about owning a home? Is it going to save you money? Work with a month budget rather than a sale price. Rates and prices have gone up in the past year. What might have been a $250,000 loan before might be only a $240k price due to higher interest rates.

If he can get a job, go a head and move, but the a job should come first unless he is a position where he can always find a job.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:43 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
You should go to the CA forum where all the naysayers keep posting about leaving CA for TX. Meanwhile, we all bid them a fond farewell. Somehow they all seem to stay here and given the weather this winter, we see a whole lot more "I'm moving to CA" topics!

Old 02-27-2014, 09:37 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
I see Yucaipa is a large area with homes in the $100-$500k range. Try buying a cheaper house in the neighbor that you want, it is easier to change the house than the neighborhood.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:47 AM

906 posts, read 1,765,936 times
There are no state income taxes in TX and property taxes are probably lower in DFW. You need to take this into account when considering how much of a pay cut your husband will take with moving. Your take home pay could end up being the same or higher.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:42 PM

5 posts, read 4,783 times
I personally think Dallas TX wins hands. It has several factors in favor. It has suburbs that have been rated as best places to live in the US. It has a lower median household price of $150,000. City has good infrastructure. No state tax, reasonable property taxes (be reminded that home prices are low).I would say go for it. Good luck. I can refer to some good resources if you have made up your mind to buy in the DFW area.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
You say you want to move for the "lower cost of living" but "we decided that we couldn't justify a move to TX without guaranteeing the same pay that DH gets out here- it just seemed pointless to do so much for less money."

Why would you think salaries are the same in Texas as in CA if cost of living is less? It happens in every industry and even lateral relocations within the same company, they adjust salary to the cost of living. Your $100k in CA might only be $60k in Texas. You're not comparing apples to apples. You're trying to compare apples to squash.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:43 AM

404 posts, read 826,376 times
Having all of these family members influencing this decision seems like a recipe for disaster. You need to decide what is right for YOUR little family. We recently picked up and moved from a high COL to a low COL area. Away from some family but nearby to other family. This was the right decision for us but DH had already secured a job at his same wage in the new area so we felt the decision was basically made for us, had he not had that job I don't think we just would have up and left. Moving is very expensive, in money, emotions and time. The cost of boxes and a truck is just the tip of the iceberg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate