Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 02:26 PM

169 posts, read 698,478 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to a new city across the country in half a year. Two agents were referred to us. Both have strengths and weaknesses. We have not met them in person yet. We have been communicated through emails and a few phone calls with general question and few listings were received. My husband is very busy at work and won't have much time to fly over there, perhaps once or twice before the big move. He will be there in a month and we wonder whether it is bad or illegal if we meet with them both and have they show houses. We will be there only the weekend. We will pick different houses for them to show us. That's way we know which one is better for us. Then, we pick one and go from there. We are not planning to use them both after the first visit.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 03:38 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
I don't see a problem if you let them both know what your plan is for selecting an agent. Let them decide if they want to "audition" for you.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:40 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
What are you going to do if agent A shows you a house you want to buy, but you like agent B better?

Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
Manderly6 makes an excellent point. I'm sure you have interviewed for employment before - at some point you need to know if you have the job or not. Make a choice.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:51 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
I agree with MMichelle, pick one. One weekend is not a whole lot of time. Let's say you want to know if the sound system goes with the outside BBQ and if the security system can just be taken over (or whatever). There's a good chance some answers may not be available the day you are with the agent that showed you the property.

The first quality I would look for is the shrewd business mind.....I suspect they will make the best negotiator. Nice and full of "sweetie pies" only goes so far.....I'm not saying someone has to be rude to be good, but I am saying there are a fair number of agents that are people pleasers and terrible in a crunch and just tell customers what they want to hear. We did weed out the majority of agents - loan officers too - that really were not working, so chances are you are selecting from those that made the cut.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:41 PM

470 posts, read 1,501,081 times
My first question is if you have never met the agents how are you assessing their strengths and weaknesses? I find that general questions rarely ever get more than general answers. Either the agents or you should be getting to more specific questions and dialogue.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
A competent relo agent is going to spend significant upfront time interviewing you, including looking at pictures of your current home and stuff to make the best match between your needs, what you can afford and the available inventory. A competent relo agent is going to know how you want to communicate and with what frequency. And a compentent agent is not going to assume you understand state nuances and will take you through a lifecycle of a transaction so that you understand. It's all about you.

Given your timeframe, a competent agent is going to preview all or most of the homes to make the most of your house hunting time.

BTW, if you are looking in a wide area, there is nothing wrong with having different agents who are familiar with the different markets and inventory.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:28 PM

317 posts, read 1,003,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
BTW, if you are looking in a wide area, there is nothing wrong with having different agents who are familiar with the different markets and inventory.
But in this situation (2 agents in some time) we need to use not the "buyers exclusive contract"but some different contract . Which one ?

Old 08-17-2010, 03:43 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
For buying really it isn't a huge issue as it is with selling. You state what you are looking for, they send you the MLS listings, you check them out and pick what you like. You can have realtors walk through a house before you even get out there, but they will give you their professional opinion which may or may not be what you are looking for.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:27 PM

470 posts, read 1,501,081 times
I think that you should be honest with each agent and tell them you are working with another, especially if they are in the same area. Be very clear and up front with them. Just remember, if you do not have a buyer's agency agreement with the agent, they cannot advise you, and are not in a position of fiduciary responsibility to you. At least that is the way in Georgia, as well as other states I presume. Again, if you do not feel comfortable enough to work either of them to work exclusively, find one that you can. If you have a local agent that you trust, get a good referral from him or her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate