Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 05:52 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,691,199 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think 5k is peanuts to argue about. I'd sign the offer and do what you intended to do.... which is.... sell the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 05:52 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,903,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think you should have this discussion with your listing agent.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:53 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,531,551 times
Good points all.

Chet I really like your points about structuring deal to be agreeable to both parties. If they had given us til Jan 15th I would take it, but moving 3 states away in 3 weeks with 3 bedrooms in such a short time I am inclined to say full price and take my chances.

They want back to back closing on their old/new house that's why they want 3 weeks.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,338,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Good points all.

Chet I really like your points about structuring deal to be agreeable to both parties. If they had given us til Jan 15th I would take it, but moving 3 states away in 3 weeks with 3 bedrooms in such a short time I am inclined to say full price and take my chances.

They want back to back closing on their old/new house that's why they want 3 weeks.
Go for it!

Old 11-24-2013, 06:38 PM

40,999 posts, read 49,386,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Good points all.

The holidays can mess up schedules. I'd probably give them close to their price but want at least 30 days to close. Where else they going to close this quickly if they don't get your house ?

They can go into temporary living for a week or 2 and the movers hold their stuff.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:48 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,664,593 times
Curious about something. You're good with the realtor's advice on not countering the current offer. But you're questioning the list price. Did the realtor not have input in showing you comps and giving advice and ideas on the list price too?

So if you were back to being happy with the list price...you had the chance for pretty much a full price contract...or at least to negotiate reasonably to near that. What's better?

Personally, if you were happy with the list price, the counter where the buyer essentially finances his closing costs pretty much is a good counter.

However, the three week thing should also be part of a counter...and possibly was thrown in there to leave room for that.

I think throwing out any offer without countering is foolish. Can't hurt to counter when it's so close to perfect.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:53 PM

43,458 posts, read 77,435,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
curious about something. You're good with the realtor's advice on not countering the current offer. But you're questioning the list price. Did the realtor not have input in showing you comps and giving advice and ideas on the list price too?

So if you were back to being happy with the list price...you had the chance for pretty much a full price contract...or at least to negotiate reasonably to near that. What's better?

Personally, if you were happy with the list price, the counter where the buyer essentially finances his closing costs pretty much is a good counter.

However, the three week thing should also be part of a counter...and possibly was thrown in there to leave room for that.

I think throwing out any offer without countering is foolish. Can't hurt to counter when it's so close to perfect.
^^^^^^^^^

Old 11-24-2013, 07:05 PM

502 posts, read 899,242 times
Make sure your realtor calls the "second showing" people (I assume this was another couple) and tells the agent you have an offer on the table and if they want to make one, they need to do it NOW.

There's no harm in countering the offer they gave you. If nothing else, it buys you some more time to hear from the other people.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:20 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,531,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojow View Post
Make sure your realtor calls the "second showing" people (I assume this was another couple) and tells the agent you have an offer on the table and if they want to make one, they need to do it NOW.

There's no harm in countering the offer they gave you. If nothing else, it buys you some more time to hear from the other people.
Our realtor just talked to the realtor of second showing and they said we are on their short list and they are going to update their buyer's on our offer.

We have til tomorrow morning and we are strongly leaning towards counter them at full price plus the 5k. Their agent explained they need the 5k for closing.

Thanks again for the helpful advice everyone.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:26 PM

11,848 posts, read 34,519,562 times
A really smart broker once told me there is not an offer given, that does not deserve a counter.

( it is my policy not to comment on transactions in Colorado where I am licensed. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate