Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:09 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,823,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
To just shut down negotiating before it even starts
But it did start. It started with your offer. He said no. Then negotiating stopped. Just because you want to negotiate doesn't mean the other person wants to negotiate. A one-way negotiation is still negotiating with a NO as the other person's way of negotiating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:14 PM

43,324 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
I'm willing to forgot about the seller assist just never really got the chance to offer something else, that is what strange to me.

To just shut down negotiating before it even starts
For some people, and for some cultures, endless negotiation is a sport all on its own. When these people meet "No Nonsense" people, it can be very hard to bridge the gap.

Many Americans are not open to haggling as a pastime.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:47 PM

640 posts, read 1,296,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttoknow000 View Post
It didn't sound like a full offer when you asked for closing costs.

I am about to purchase a new home in the Dallas area and there was a house we liked that we put an offer in at 96% and did not ask for any discounts. The sellers agent said they thought it was too low and expected to get full price on the offer. We walked away from that house because there were other homes we were more interested in. That house ended up staying listed for 1 1/2 more weeks before it showed it was under contract so I assume they eventually got their full offer.

Some oweners think that can get full price and they can. It really depends on how desireable the house is given it is listed right and everything. So the person selling that home may feel that they should get 100%.

Also, yes there are some people with unreasonable price points too.
Yeah thanks for your Comments. My original offer was only a starting point. It doesnt mean that i cant offer full price without seller assist. I prefer to close the deal and get the sale. Maybe they want to wait on the market till they get thier number and that their choice. I still think it better to counter with your number then make a deal but that just my opinion.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 AM

10,355 posts, read 8,581,497 times
One thing others may not know is how crazy the market is here and how much higher homes cost than where they are at. If you are from Texas and a house is $200K, then 4% is asking for $8,000 off.
In Palo Alto it is extremely common for homes to be in the 1-2 million range. If it's 1.5 million the buyer is asking the seller to give up $60,000. That's a lot.
Combine that with the fact that we are seeing many homes sell for 110 to 130% of asking with extremely well qualified buyers, ( cash or 30-50% down payments) and you can see that it's quite possible the buyer is out of his league and not even close. All he can do is submit a new offer and continue to do so until he gets the house or someone else buys it. I would not want to be a buyer in today's market

Old 03-22-2013, 01:23 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
Was that your entire offer, or did you have contingencies? Financing? Sale of current house? Home inspections? Unusual move out dates? Repairs or changes? Other demands?

It might not have even been your price offer that got rejected. It might have been something else.

Personally, if I get an offer with seller assist, it looks to me like the buyer can't afford the house and I would expect it to be a real hassle to get it closed.

I just got a full price offer from a couple that had a sales contingency and hadn't even listed their house yet. Gee, no thanks. For all I know, they are now going around complaining because I was so unreasonable and rejected their full price offer. But price isn't everything. So, OP, what else was in your offer?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,218,671 times
Quote:
Yeah thanks for your Comments. My original offer was only a starting point. It doesnt mean that i cant offer full price without seller assist. I prefer to close the deal and get the sale. Maybe they want to wait on the market till they get thier number and that their choice. I still think it better to counter with your number then make a deal but that just my opinion.
What would they have countered with if they were not willing offer anything?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:22 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,702,696 times
Maybe the seller priced it low, hence why your pseudo-full-price offer was so easy for you to make. However, the seller may have listed it low so they'd have a quick sell. If they want a quick sell, they want assurances that it WILL sell. Asking for seller assist is not a good sign. There are MANY reasons that your loan could be denied.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,425,487 times
Regardless of the numbers, some Sellers simply don't like the idea of kicking in money towards the Purchaser's closing costs. If you'd offered 4% under list price--with no closing costs--their reaction might have been different. Who knows?

Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 AM

160 posts, read 506,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
For some people, and for some cultures, endless negotiation is a sport all on its own. When these people meet "No Nonsense" people, it can be very hard to bridge the gap.

Many Americans are not open to haggling as a pastime.
What's your definition of an "american"?

Old 03-22-2013, 08:32 AM

160 posts, read 506,736 times
In the greater boston area, you don't even stand a chance if you offer a cent lower than asking. Everything is going - sometimes 10-15% - above asking. Seems like the strategy in this market is to list it low & get buyers into a bidding war frenzy.

I agree with some of the posters that the healing has just started & the foundations aren't still that strong to keep this recovery going. Having said that going by the trends in boston - which is a mirror for some of the other regions in the country - & the feds no-interest-raise-till-2015 decision is likely to fuel another asset bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate