Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 9,902 times

Advertisements

Need to know if a seller can cancel contract to take secon counter offer for house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 11:00 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,145,640 times
Who was the last person to counter?

If it was you that means you voided the sellers last offer and that is no longer an option to you.

If it was the seller, and you did not accept the offer before they withdrew it, it is also no longer an option to you.

If another offer came in on the property the seller has every right to cancel his last offer before you accept it, and/or ignore you last counter to take the new offer. Just because you are in negotiations does not mean the seller has to take his house off the market.

Not exactly sure what your question was.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:29 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,019 times
Not sure I completlely understand your question, as most agents when a contract is under negotiation, will not entertain other offers, unless you are at a standstill, and usually works out the current offer. If a counter is on the table, then another offer comes in, then if the counter is not agreed on, the second can come into play. Sellers have somewhat of the upper hand, meaning the seller can always not choose to accept, and then move on to other offers.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:48 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,663 times
Quote:
seller cancel contract on 2nd offer to a counter offer from 1st buyer
If what you are saying is... the seller was negotiating a contract from the first buyer...and then you came in and made an offer and the seller signed it and returned it, and it had no contingencies such as attorney review, and then the first buyer came back with another offer and the seller said I'm cancelling this contract and going with this offer, no. He can not do that. Not here anyway. Although, I have no clue what could be done about it, you haven't suffered any damages.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:52 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTraub View Post
Who was the last person to counter?

If it was you that means you voided the sellers last offer and that is no longer an option to you.

If it was the seller, and you did not accept the offer before they withdrew it, it is also no longer an option to you.

If another offer came in on the property the seller has every right to cancel his last offer before you accept it, and/or ignore you last counter to take the new offer. Just because you are in negotiations does not mean the seller has to take his house off the market.

Not exactly sure what your question was.
What Greg Traub said.

Negotiations are just talk.
Contract is contract.

Which did you have, negotiations or contract?

Old 11-17-2008, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 9,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjs4 View Post
Need to know if a seller can cancel contract to take secon counter offer for house?
Signed Option Contract with investor group; decided not to sell because we decided to keep in family, so I transferred everything over to my sibling. Would I still be obligated to sell the property to buyer that I signed Option Contract with?

Old 11-17-2008, 02:56 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookera View Post
Signed Option Contract with investor group; decided not to sell because we decided to keep in family, so I transferred everything over to my sibling. Would I still be obligated to sell the property to buyer that I signed Option Contract with?
If you have a signed "contract", no, you cannot just cancel it. Contracts are contracts and are legally binding between two people. It takes two people to cancel the contract, not just one. You are in default, and the buyer could go for "specific performance" to force you to close.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:02 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookera View Post
Probably. If you have a signed option, you can still transfer the property if it's allowed per the option contract. Even if you can transfer the property, the option will still exist should the investment group want to enforce it on the new owner (your sibling). You should ask them to cancel it or consult an attorney if you want to try and keep it because what you did likely won't work.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:10 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,993,122 times
Yes, you're still obligated under your contract unless the contract said you could terminate it, which is doubtful. So the investor group can probably sue you. They probably can't sue you for specific performance because you can't be forced to sell a house that you don't own. But they can sue you for damages.

The investor group could probably also enforce the option contract against your sibling if they could prove that your sibling knew about the option contract when you transferred the house to your sibling.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you transferred the house to your sibling simply to avoid the contract. If that's the case, both you and your sibling could probably be sued for fraud.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:08 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
Yes, you're still obligated under your contract unless the contract said you could terminate it, which is doubtful. So the investor group can probably sue you. They probably can't sue you for specific performance because you can't be forced to sell a house that you don't own. But they can sue you for damages.

The investor group could probably also enforce the option contract against your sibling if they could prove that your sibling knew about the option contract when you transferred the house to your sibling.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you transferred the house to your sibling simply to avoid the contract. If that's the case, both you and your sibling could probably be sued for fraud.
I'm definitely not going to debate A-W on this. I think he's right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate