Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:01 PM

281 posts, read 750,909 times

Advertisements

A few months ago we sold our house and then rented it back for thirty days. The real estate agents told us that it would not be benefical to be at the house during the time when potential buyers come by and after the offer they discouraged us to be there during the home inspection, and the final walk through before closing. So my wife and I did not meet our buyers until they came by at the offical end of our rent back a month after the offical closing.

The first thing the woman said when she walked in the door was, "the house does not look as good as I remember it!" (Maybe because the house was empty at the end of the rent back and back when she saw it last it was staged.)

Then it went down hill from there. She spent the next hour and a half complaining about the house and asking about problems. To me this is something that she should of thought about just before she bought the house not when the rent back ended. Finally after much effort we got her to agree to sign the form saying we could get our rent back security deposit back.

When we left I got the impression that she regreted the home purchase. But what can I say, it is hers now.

Is this common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
Is this common?
Please take this as kindly as it's intended...
find a hobby or something else to do aside from obsessing over this stuff.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Don't sweat it. House is sold and closed. Move on and forget about it.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Don't sweat it. House is sold and closed. Move on and forget about it.
It's not common, she sounds like a flake. What Brandon said above.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
I have sold three places. I did not cave in to any complaints that were voiced at the last moment, because I made sure everything is A-OK. In the one case, at the closing the buyer began to get very cocky with my solicitor, and make all sorts of demands, saying he wouldn't sign. She called me on the phone.

My answer: "Fine, but as the place is in perfect condition, his deposit will be forfeit as provided by the law," and told her to pack up and leave. I refused to speak with the buyer, but I did speak with the real estate agent and told him to start showing again immediately. The bully boy suddenly pulled the plug in his shorts and was begging to sign.

My attitude is: Give no quarter! But when it's over, move on.

The other two times I had no problems, and I am best friends with the owner of my last place.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Some people complain for the sake of complaining. Move on.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
To answer the OP bluntly, YES -- buyers remorse and all its variations are quite common. Voicing "faults" found at walk through are but one manifestation. Others include threats (or actual filings...) of fraud / malfeseance, sorrow, anger, vague requests for information about trivial items (How does the garage unlock? Why does the light socket not have a pull string? When does the postman come on weekends?)...

Move on. You sold the place. If you complied with the terms of the purchase agreement and have similarly finalized your relationaship with the rent-back hope that you (nor your legal representatives) ever here from the buyer(s) again...

Old 01-22-2013, 04:56 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,226,483 times
This is a good reason why "rent backs" are almost unheard of in my market. High Risk, Low Reward.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
Be glad she didn't buy the house next door to you!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Hm. Our sellers were there for our final walkthrough...they showed us where stuff was, how to use other stuff, and we had hearty handshakes and thank yous...it was very nice.

She's a nut...don't worry about it, op.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate