Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:20 PM

132 posts, read 315,302 times

Advertisements

The final walk through of our house that is in the process of selling is scheduled for December 20th.

I have not discussed this question with our real estate agent but thought it would be interesting for the city data community to discuss it first before I talk to her about it.

So, should the Seller of the house (my wife and I) be at the final walkthrough?

If you were a buyer would you want the seller there to answer questions and to see what type of person lived in the house that you are buying? Or would having them there make you feel uncomfortable or rushed?

FYI: We have not met the new buyer of our home yet AND we are renting back from him for 30 days after closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 01:31 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,420 times
EVERY scenario is different - I think you should focus on what your agent brings to the table in regards to this. One small factor unknown to a responder here could make things... In some cases having the parties together can save hours of dialogue and confusion, in other cases it can make a nail hole seem like a missing roof.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Not in the industry at all, but my thought is that it depends on how people percieve you. If they think you are a nice, straightforward, come across as honest and knowledgable, it seems like a good idea. Also, if the buyer insults your house (color choices, maintenance...) you have to be able to keep your cool. If this happens, I can't see the negative side.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:17 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHomeSeller View Post
The final walk through of our house that is in the process of selling is scheduled for December 20th.

I have not discussed this question with our real estate agent but thought it would be interesting for the city data community to discuss it first before I talk to her about it.

If you were a buyer would you want the seller there to answer questions and to see what type of person lived in the house that you are buying? Or would having them there make you feel uncomfortable or rushed?

FYI: We have not met the new buyer of our home yet AND we are renting back from him for 30 days after closing.
Interesting. At first my gut was "No" but if you're going to have a relationship after closing, then it probably would be ok. I think it always makes things a little uncomfortable for both parties but again, if your Buyer is about to become your Landlord, then it might be a good idea.

Do follow-up and let us know what you decide to do and how it goes for you.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Since they are legally your tenants for 30 days, you should definitely meet them. .... and yes, you should be there. Keep it friendly, and take your broker's advice.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
I really depends on the personalities of the buyer and seller. Many times it's good for the seller to be available to answer questions. However, I would suggest that if you wanted to be at the final walk through that you make an appointment to meet them right after they finish the inspection. That way they would have had time to discuss the inspection with their agent and make whatever decision is necessary.

But it is good to be able to meet with the buyers and tell them about the house, the community, etc.

My most recent seller met with the buyers right after the final walk though because he happened to be driving by and saw the cars there. (The house was vacant.) So he went and talked to them, explaining some things. One interesting piece was that there are two large pine trees in the back yard. The seller lived there when the home was first built, and for two years in a row he purchased live pine trees for Christmas trees so he could plant them after Christmas. Now the buyers know the history of those trees, including their age. A good conversation piece when friends visit.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:03 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
No. Leave, or have delivered the day after you depart, a nice flower arrangement or something with a wish for happiness in the house if you want to extend good thoughts. Nothing stings worse than to hear "we just can't wait to rip out that kitchen wallpaper!"

Old 12-13-2012, 05:16 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHomeSeller View Post

As a buyer, I'd sure like to meet the seller and as the seller, since you are renting back from them, probably better to meet the landlord sooner rather than later.

You can avoid complications by keeping things cordial and general rather than specific. Don't renegotiate things already set and in fact let your agent deal with any "issues" brought up if any unless it is something like what kind of pizza do you like?

You can gain a lot of knowledge that can help you, especially since you are renting back. If you see them walking around picking up pieces of link from the carpet, wiping their fingers on window sills and so on, be prepared for a rather thorough end of rental inspection on their part. Little things like that can really help you out a month later when it is time to leave.

An opportunity to meet like this so long as you keep things light and cordial can also help if the time gets close and you need some flexibility on staying a few days or a week longer than originally planned.

As the buyer you can usually detect if the seller has this "thank goodness we got rid of this place" attitude so keep that in check if that's really the way it is. When a seller and I meet at the final walk through, I sure don't want to instill some seller's regret but it's always nice to hear some tips about the local stores and things like that.

As a seller, when the buyer came for the final, I had first checked every lamp and had a few spares just in case. if they flipped a switch and one popped, I replaced it on the spot and things moved on. Made sure to not make it look like the burnt out all the time but bulbs go.

As the seller, here is your chance to add to their comfort level with a smile, warm hello and sense of pride in the home, especially since you're renting it back. Nice for the buyer to know their new renter cares about the place.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Honestly just ask. Have your agent ask if the buyers would like you there to explain anything about the house. Some people love it, others don't.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM

211 posts, read 451,486 times
I have almost always had the sellers attend the final walk throughs for my buyers. So many questions can be answered quickly and simply without a lot of drama. When I buy homes I also ask the sellers to attend the walk through.
Prior to settlement I always ask for the receipts for any work agreed upon in the inspection report. If there is anything missing, it can be addressed prior to the walk through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate