Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 AM

201 posts, read 490,982 times

Advertisements

The agent says the buyer can drag his feet for months waiting to decide what he wants to do about any claim on the earnest money but until he makes a move we can't sell the house and will lose thousands and thousands of dollars. A lawsuit is possible but we can't put the house back on the market during the lawsuit and we have to move.

I am sure the buyers real estate agent is not happy either because she is out her 3% and lost time and effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
The agent says the buyer can drag his feet for months waiting to decide what he wants to do about any claim on the earnest money but until he makes a move we can't sell the house and will lose thousands and thousands of dollars. A lawsuit is possible but we can't put the house back on the market during the lawsuit and we have to move.

I am sure the buyers real estate agent is not happy either because she is out her 3% and lost time and effort.
I suspect this isn't completely accurate. It's unlikely that a buyer in breach can keep you from selling your house once they have decided not to buy it. They may be able to hold up the escrow claim, but I seriously doubt they can prevent you from marketing the house. Ask your attorney to explain all your options and the time they would require.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:50 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Apparently you are referring to the 'final walk through' (one day before closing) to verify that all contingencies established by the initial inspection, have been corrected. The buyer is in a difficult spot, if they then decide that all of the contingencies have been satisfactorily met, but, that they no longer want the house. IMO, the purpose of the 'earnest money' deposit is two fold: (1) To establish that the serious intent of the buyer, so the seller can remove the house from the market 30-45 days during the closing process, and (2) to compensate the seller for incurred expenses, in the event the buyer breaches the contract (without substantive cause).

IMO (not a lawyer!) the way you describe things seems clear-cut, and 'should' enable you to collect and retain the deposit ... PLUS immediately re-list your house for sale on the market. However, ... lawyers have an insidious way of twisting things to make the 'facts' favor whatever party they are representing. Thus, you need to get your advice from your own lawyer. At a bare minimum, it would seem that you should be able to re-list the house for sale, but, even that may be considered as 'limiting the extent of your actual damages.'

Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 AM

201 posts, read 490,982 times
Yes, eventually we may get the earnest money maybe in 6-8 month but it would involve a judge telling the escrow company to give the money to us, which would involve a lawsuit which would not allow us to put the house back on the market intil the case is settled, or the buyer has to sign a document saying he is waiving all rights to the earnest money. Our agent tells us that the buyer could drag his feet for months and do nothing hoping we would just give up and he would eventually get his money back. In the mean time our house is stale and we can't do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Apparently you are referring to the 'final walk through' (one day before closing) to verify that all contingencies established by the initial inspection, have been corrected. The buyer is in a difficult spot, if they then decide that all of the contingencies have been satisfactorily met, but, that they no longer want the house. IMO, the purpose of the 'earnest money' deposit is two fold: (1) To establish that the serious intent of the buyer, so the seller can remove the house from the market 30-45 days during the closing process, and (2) to compensate the seller for incurred expenses, in the event the buyer breaches the contract (without substantive cause).

IMO (not a lawyer!) the way you describe things seems clear-cut, and 'should' enable you to collect and retain the deposit ... PLUS immediately re-list your house for sale on the market. However, ... lawyers have an insidious way of twisting things to make the 'facts' favor whatever party they are representing. Thus, you need to get your advice from your own lawyer. At a bare minimum, it would seem that you should be able to re-list the house for sale, but, even that may be considered as 'limiting the extent of your actual damages.'

Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Yes, eventually we may get the earnest money maybe in 6-8 month but it would involve a judge telling the escrow company to give the money to us, which would involve a lawsuit which would not allow us to put the house back on the market intil the case is settled, or the buyer has to sign a document saying he is waiving all rights to the earnest money. Our agent tells us that the buyer could drag his feet for months and do nothing hoping we would just give up and he would eventually get his money back. In the mean time our house is stale and we can't do anything.
As I've said, I don't believe that to be accurate. I find it VERY difficult to believe that someone who states they do not want to buy your house can prevent you selling it to someone else. They only thing that person has any claim on at all is the money in the escrow, not your house. I'm not an attorney, and I doubt your agent is either. Call your attorney and ask the question.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:26 AM

605 posts, read 2,148,067 times
I didn't realize that his coud happen unless the final walk through revealed issues. Never heard of it before.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:26 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I suspect this isn't completely accurate. It's unlikely that a buyer in breach can keep you from selling your house once they have decided not to buy it. They may be able to hold up the escrow claim, but I seriously doubt they can prevent you from marketing the house. Ask your attorney to explain all your options and the time they would require.
Quote:
I agree with Bill above and believe your agent is full of Crap. He's giving you legal advice and it's not good. It would be worth a few hundred $$ to get the $8k earnest money for your damages or to get the house sold.

I might even be tempted to file suit for "Specific Performance" at this late date.

A strongly worded letter from an attorney might motivate these Buyers.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I agree with Bill above and believe your agent is full of Crap. He's giving you legal advice and it's not good. It would be worth a few hundred $$ to get the $8k earnest money for your damages or to get the house sold.

I might even be tempted to file suit for "Specific Performance" at this late date.

A strongly worded letter from an attorney might motivate these Buyers.
Agree with Rakin. Collect the earnest money, plus damages which may include having to take a loss over and above the amount of earnest money in order to get the property sold; and any loss incurred to seller if he has damages on the purchase of another property, rent, moving expenses, etc. Throw the whole ball of wax at buyer in default.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Throw the whole ball of wax at buyer in default.
I've seen (several times) a letter from an attorney just threating damages and performance motivate a buyer who gets cold feet. They are under contract and need to understand the damages if they do not perform to their agreement.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
When I see a house go back on the market after saying contract fell through I always thought it was a real estate agents sales gimmick that tries to make a now stale house look fresh again. Buyers will still see the house as stale and now it likely worth 10% less.

Not at all the case in our local market, which remains stable and continues to move pretty briskly.

We put our house on the market right as the housing market crashed in 2008 and it sat there, with some showings but no offers, for about six months. We took it off the market during the holidays and put it right back on the market in January. It sold in ten days. No harm done and wow, we had to find a house FAST!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate