Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 PM

6 posts, read 12,177 times

Advertisements

I recently entered a purchase agreement, and after the appraisal process (which took 10 days), the appraiser effectively "quit" saying that they could not provide a value for the property.

The property in question had modifications done to two rooms and a garage (likely un-permitted work). The appraiser noted this in his report, and could not find the necessary permits for the work. Based on these circumstances, I do not want to buy a property that will only cause problems in the future since the modifications to the home were apparently un-permitted and illegal.

I had the real estate agent write an addendum to cancel the agreement, which the seller refuses to sign. He says that I have "cold feet" and wants to appeal to keep my earnest deposit. Furthermore, he now states that getting a second appraisal is not "sufficient performance".

What are my rights as a buyer? I do not want to purchase a lemon that will cause me headaches down the road. Will a second appraisal, and subsequent inspection fulfill my end of the agreement? I only wanted to avoid wasting everyone's time, since I fear that this will only unearth the same problems, but if need be, I will do it.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 06:01 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
In the State of Georgia, Buyers have a "Due Diligence Period". It states that during "x" many days from Binding Agreement Date, the Buyer will do whatever they need to do to make a decision on purchasing or breaking the contract without penalty.

I would also ask your Buyer's Agent what does your state's Appraisal Contingency read in terms of an Appraiser not being able to determine the value of a property.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:12 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Personally I would take this to a RE attorney.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:39 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
What state are you in?

States laws vary.

In many states the house would not have a certificate of occupancy. No CO, no financing.

The seller needs to remedy the situation.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,670 times
Your options as far as canceling depend on where you are in the process and how your contract is written. Read your contract and talk with your agent.

Is the seller willing to have the permit taken care of? It is possible to get one after the fact. It doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't built right just because it doesn't have a permit. It might just take the seller having someone look at it, OK it and then he pays money for a permit. If he can't get the permit, you can't get the appraisal or your loan and the deal will fall apart. And he likely will have the same issue again if he tries to sell it to someone else without taking care of this. Did the appraiser see anything wrong besides not being able to find the permit? If not, it may be worth seeing if the issue can be resolved.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:42 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times
Not all remodeling needs/requires a permit.
Just hire a new appraiser.
A reputable appraiser will not quit when something comes up or the going calls for more work than the Avg property or if they can't find all of the paperwork.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Personally I would take this to a RE attorney.
Ditto.

Real estate laws vary state to state and within state.
None of us have read your contract.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,020 times
I don't understand why the appraiser didn't just finish the report.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:57 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,908,228 times
Did you know there were modifications? Or did you believe it was the original home?

Old 08-03-2012, 08:40 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
Very simple.

The seller has to take care of these permits "after the fact". And get the CO

The house cannot be purchased by anyone financing the purchase, as no CO, no mortgage.

Many people do not pull permits with their town because they do not want their taxes to go up.

In my market, when an appraiser finds no CO, they make note on their paperwork and leave.

IMHO this seller sounds like a real piece of work. It's not an FSBO is it?

By the way, the seller has not a leg to stand on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate