Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 26,546 times

Advertisements

I signed a contract with a "tract" builder for a new home in February. My house isn't finished yet - it will take them another 2 months - even though the contract indicates an estimated date of July/August. What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 09:57 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaasu View Post
I signed a contract with a "tract" builder for a new home in February. My house isn't finished yet - it will take them another 2 months - even though the contract indicates an estimated date of July/August. What should I do?
Does your contract say that they have done their duty as long as they deliver finished product in 24 months, despite any estimated time?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,529,578 times
Good to know some things haven't changed (but sorry for your frustration). Builders *NEVER* finish on time unless there's a hefty financial incentive for them to do so. Tract housing construction is a mobile, roving assembly line. If your foundation guy gets held up over here on this site, that creates delays downstream. Same thing for framing, plumbing, electrical, etc. A couple hours of delay here can really balloon when they're working on multiple projects simultaneously.

I feel your pain, but I don't think you have any recourse. That fine print none of us ever reads really bites!

Old 09-15-2011, 11:42 PM

519 posts, read 981,892 times
Quote:
As you stated, it was an "estimated" date.

And ERH is correct, there are many things that cannot be controlled.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:50 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Does your contract say that they have done their duty as long as they deliver finished product in 24 months, despite any estimated time?

As Mike suggested, your answer will be found in the contract you signed. The builder might have "estimated" a completion date, but in reality the contract could say--WHENEVER it is complete and might have some provisions such as --provided the builder is making progress , in good faith, ect...

Old 09-16-2011, 05:34 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
Have an attorney read the contract and advise you.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:04 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,446 times
Quote:
Generally speaking (and I've actually worked for a few national "tract" builders) there will be a paragraph in your contract that #1- states what constitutes as an "excusable delay" and #2 states what actions you as a buyer may take is the builder misses the closing date.

As someone else said, the date on the contract is an estimated date, and in reality they didn't give you a date. They gave you a month(s). I'd also be willing to bet there is a sentence in your contract that states the builder will provide you with an actual closing date 30-45 days before completion.

Just out of curiousity, what stage is your home in right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Good to know some things haven't changed (but sorry for your frustration). Builders *NEVER* finish on time unless there's a hefty financial incentive for them to do so. Tract housing construction is a mobile, roving assembly line. If your foundation guy gets held up over here on this site, that creates delays downstream. Same thing for framing, plumbing, electrical, etc. A couple hours of delay here can really balloon when they're working on multiple projects simultaneously.

I feel your pain, but I don't think you have any recourse. That fine print none of us ever reads really bites!
Completely and utterly wrong on all accounts. There is always a huge incentive for a builder to finish a home on time, other than financial gain. When a project drags on thats less people they have available to work on other homes. 9 times out of 10 the home is finished weeks before the closing is actually scheduled to occur and all that is left to do is last minute touch up kind of stuff.

As far as the foundation guy getting held up causing a backup later on down the road, again incorrect. There are ALWAYS to catch up a home. I have seen model homes built in 28 days before so don't say that a builder can't catch up.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:03 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,469,020 times
I had a whole paragraph typed up about the delays inherent in custom build jobs, then I noticed you said this was a "tract" home.

If the house isn't a custom build, then I have nothing. The production builders in my area build a house in 60 days or less, so your delay is longer than the total time to build a house for them.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:47 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I had a whole paragraph typed up about the delays inherent in custom build jobs, then I noticed you said this was a "tract" home.

If the house isn't a custom build, then I have nothing. The production builders in my area build a house in 60 days or less, so your delay is longer than the total time to build a house for them.
All too often, we can lose a month for permit processing...
4-6 months for tract building here.
But many of the tract builder contracts list 24 months as a reasonable period. Seeing a client sign that always makes me queasy.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:34 PM

42 posts, read 171,714 times
Were in the process of having a custom home built on land i owned, not a development or cookie cutter builder. he started pulling permits about june 15th, our septic permit alone took 7 weeks to get back which of course held up well permit and final building permit, they had to redraw the building plans twice to pass kent county to include 32 piers, and 3 (4) 2x12 main beams in the crawl space of a house thats only 64x34. they finally broke ground august 17th, had footers poured same day, foundation and piers done in 2, and they are about 3 weeks 2 days of actual work (since irene hit) and they have all sheathing done and are puting shingles on this weekend windows tuesday, siding wednesday and this is a 3600 sq ft cape cod. Their finish date is still projected as november 17th, 3 months from the day they broke ground is what we have been told. they seem to be going at a very good pace.

I dont believe there is anything you can do. our house was originally supposed to have been done mid September. we signed our contract march 28th or so. it just takes a long time. our first child is due november 3rd and now our house wont even be done in time but we are happy with the builders quality so its worth it in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate