Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 08:00 PM

47 posts, read 99,179 times

Advertisements

It's a few days until closing and the buyer's agent tells me that there was a "mistake" with the lender and the lender now requires the buyer to put $10k-15k more down for the loan. The agent wants the sellers (me) to reduce this amount by 10k so they will be able to successfully close the transaction. During the 17 day contingency period the status of the buyers' loan did not look great. The sellers issued a NBP on day 17 and buyers removed all contingencies during the 11th hour. Now, they are looking to cancel and I'm wondering who is entitled to the deposit? I thought for certain the sellers would, but after reading a few articles it looks like the buyers can request it back (minus any actual costs to seller). If this is true, then why even bother with the deposits and the contingency period. I'm confused. My broker says most people refund some or all the deposit just so the property doesn't get tied up. I did have a backup offer but not sure at this point since a few weeks have elapsed. Anyone have experience with this? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 03:58 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,175,980 times
Most likely you can't have it both ways. If you want to fight over the deposit it may hold up the process of getting your house sold.

But you should really be talking to a real estate attorney. No one is going to know enough details to give you a good answer.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:40 PM

15,587 posts, read 40,476,450 times
I'm just wondering you don't trust the advice of your broker?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate