Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 87,371 times

Advertisements

Due to me not working because of my last surgery. I havent paid my personal property taxes. I know come October they will be sending me another bill for personal property taxes. Will they let me double it and pay it in nov or dec,or will they forclose on my house in Oct when its time to send the new bill out? Thanks for any information,
Jamie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 08:51 PM

14 posts, read 126,077 times
No they won't foreclose - unless there is a Gestapo sort of state. MOST that I know for sure, just sell a tax certificate. It's a lein on the home, where if you sell you must pay them. Meantime, the note bears interest.

Heard of "tax auctions"? Here's the deal: They have tax bills overdue and by the way usually a Year overdue. Best is Go Talk to them, tell them you Want to pay but can't. Don't hide - same for mortgage late.

So tell em & then get a payment plan, partial forgiveness, show medical bills, tax return, Really be prepared to Prove it. Then if there is a tax cert sold, the bidders start at say 20% interest, then bid lower, til someone wins the bid to pay the taxes & earn that % for the bill. You'd have to leave unpaid for 2 yrs or more to have the home foreclosed - and if there are Mortgages they take precedence. If the home's paid OFF, that's what you need to be concerned with.

Doreen with 26 years experience as an appraiser & realtor in FL

Old 08-27-2007, 12:45 AM

4 posts, read 87,371 times
Default Thanks for the information

Thanks so much for replying.Your email has made me feel alot better. I am going to call first thing in the morning.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:48 AM

510 posts, read 3,201,609 times
Solid advice... just for a note, they will foreclose at some point, although I'm pretty sure it would be around the 1.5 - 2 year mark of not paying your property taxes at all. I think Doreen covered everything, and it would be a great idea to follow her advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreenCampbell View Post
No they won't foreclose - unless there is a Gestapo sort of state. MOST that I know for sure, just sell a tax certificate. It's a lein on the home, where if you sell you must pay them. Meantime, the note bears interest.

Heard of "tax auctions"? Here's the deal: They have tax bills overdue and by the way usually a Year overdue. Best is Go Talk to them, tell them you Want to pay but can't. Don't hide - same for mortgage late.

So tell em & then get a payment plan, partial forgiveness, show medical bills, tax return, Really be prepared to Prove it. Then if there is a tax cert sold, the bidders start at say 20% interest, then bid lower, til someone wins the bid to pay the taxes & earn that % for the bill. You'd have to leave unpaid for 2 yrs or more to have the home foreclosed - and if there are Mortgages they take precedence. If the home's paid OFF, that's what you need to be concerned with.

Doreen with 26 years experience as an appraiser & realtor in FL

Old 08-27-2007, 10:32 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,420 times
Vagirl,

Doreen gave some awesome advice. You may also want to contact the tax assessment office and explain your situation to them. They may have programs in place to help you, or at the very least set you up on a payment plan.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:39 PM

631 posts, read 2,446,174 times
If you lived in my county, it might take them 10 years to catch up with you! You're lucky to get a bill here, and they wonder why the county is broke!

But, yes, go talk to them. I'm sure they'll agree, something is better than nothing.

Where do you live where there is personal property tax? I've heard of it, thankfully have not ever dealt with it.

from,Keeperk, in the land of laa laa "we'll get around it tomorrow" land.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:37 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagirl76 View Post
Due to me not working because of my last surgery. I havent paid my personal property taxes. I know come October they will be sending me another bill for personal property taxes. Will they let me double it and pay it in nov or dec,or will they forclose on my house in Oct when its time to send the new bill out? Thanks for any information,
Jamie
I assume by your name, you are in Virginia. Your house is NOT part of your personal property taxes. Personal property tax in on your car, boat, motorcycle, etc. For those of you not in Virginia, she said *personal* property tax, not real estate property tax.

As for paying late, yes, you can. I've done it. Mostly by accident, but one county tracked me down 3 years after I left the county. I thought I paid it that year, but with moving, I guess I didn't. They never took my car, suspended my license, or anything. Let alone did they touch my house (granted, my house was in Fairfax, the back taxes were in Mongomery (SWVA)). Oh, and I think it was just a 10-20% late fee.

Last edited by rubytue; 08-28-2007 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 01-22-2010, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 36,768 times
i owe back taxes on my home but we are unemplyed right now i can pay them when i do my income taxes i dont know what to do i called the tax office she said that now its up to the marshall.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:47 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Over here they add a certain amount each month that you pay late until March or maybe April, after that the property taxes will be sold at an auction and some one else is holding a lien on your property. Only if you file for bankruptcy it will be gone, otherwise they will make a gain...

That is how it works in FL.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 35,375 times
i live in illinos never been late on my taxes until now havent payed anything on the proerty taxes plan to pay soon how much more will it cost me i owe 1295.00 thats all can some one let me know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate