Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:35 AM

181 posts, read 696,864 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to buy a house. Whenever I see a good house online and go check it out. Often time, I was told that the house been sold. What should I do? Any advice? Do I just need to buy from a builder to save all the troubles. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 01:40 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,741 times
Do you have an agent? If not, get one. Online listings open to the public aren't updated as quickly as the MLS itself.

FWIW, the house that I'm buying didn't show up on Redfin until 2 days after my offer was written up and submitted already. Relying on the public sites will only leave you playing catchup, as that time difference can easily make or break a sale in a desired area.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
If you don't have an agent, get one. If you do, find a better one.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:43 AM

9 posts, read 45,302 times
I agree with both comments above. Agents have access to auto notification programs which means that as soon as a property comes on the market that matches your search criteria you are emailed within minutes!
Good luck.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:28 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,682 times
Yes, this is simple - get a good agent.

It's fairly common for people to chase ads. It's a time killer. Nearly as effective as baning your head against a wall.

Do yourself a favor. A good agent can save you dozens of hours and watch your back in ways you'll never have considered (buyer's agency). Best yet it's free to you since the seller pays commission.
Best wishes.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:19 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
My MLS sends out automatic alerts within 15 minutes of a new listing being entered. For really good deals, you have to stay on top of those listings. They go fast.

Get an agent and get on automatic MLS alerts.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:48 AM

392 posts, read 1,539,155 times
Agree completely... realtor.com takes 24-48 hours to update. Get a good agent who signs up for instant alerts when a new listing comes up that meets your criteria.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:40 PM

800 posts, read 3,087,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
My MLS sends out automatic alerts within 15 minutes of a new listing being entered. For really good deals, you have to stay on top of those listings. They go fast.

Get an agent and get on automatic MLS alerts.
Good advice. Also, price and status changes are set regularly too. The good deals do go fast as Silverfall says.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:14 AM

181 posts, read 696,864 times
I am talking to friends to get an agent. Hard to find a good one. I had a real estate agent, he pushed me to buy on my first time to check a house.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:40 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,044,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Do you have an agent? If not, get one. Online listings open to the public aren't updated as quickly as the MLS itself.

FWIW, the house that I'm buying didn't show up on Redfin until 2 days after my offer was written up and submitted already. Relying on the public sites will only leave you playing catchup, as that time difference can easily make or break a sale in a desired area.
Ditto here and like others have said, one that has their's set up like SF to send auto alerts. That way you're ahead of the game instead of always missing a house you're interested in. And no, you don't just have to go through a builder because you still need someone watching your backside - the developer is looking after their best interest. You need someone looking after 'yours' so like MMichelle said, get a good buyer agent to look after you, whether you decide on a gated community or whatnot. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate