Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 07:16 AM

4,018 posts, read 4,107,117 times

Advertisements

Contact the assessment office and depending on what they tell you, consult with an attorney if needed. And be prepared to pay the back taxes immediately.

Hope it works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 6,375 times
Thanks.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:03 PM

8,584 posts, read 12,602,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varquez View Post
What do we have to do? Do we have to call the lawyer's office and pay the entire bill or we have to go to the tax assessment office and settle the bills.Please we need guidance.
You don't need a lawyer at this point. Just be prepared to pay the entire bill...however, you may be able to enter into a payment plan (it all depends on local policies). For the future, make sure that tax bills are sent to you directly.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:46 PM

Do I have to pay the lawyer for the whole tax bills or I have to pay directly to the assessment office? The lawyer was the one who sent me the notice which I think they are the collection agency. I'm afraid that this lawyer will charge me a bunch of legal fees.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Do I have to pay the lawyer for the whole tax bills or I have to pay directly to the assessment office?
You should deal directly with the tax assessment office.

(It would be unusual for a property tax bill to be sent to a collection agency. Property taxes usually go through a tax foreclosure or lien process which is dictated by state law.)

Old 02-17-2014, 08:50 PM

6,587 posts, read 10,591,057 times
Quote:
Do I have to pay the lawyer for the whole tax bills or I have to pay directly to the assessment office?
In my area, all past due tax assessments are paid to the tax assessment office and not to a lawyer or collection agency.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:25 AM

I just checked the tax assessment website, it says in there that I have to contact the collection agency and pay all the legal fees and get the release from that attorney. I don't really understand why I can't just pay directly the assessment office. And does anyone of you has an idea how much it cost me to pay this lawyer? Thanks.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
I just checked the tax assessment website, it says in there that I have to contact the collection agency and pay all the legal fees and get the release from that attorney. I don't really understand why I can't just pay directly the assessment office. And does anyone of you has an idea how much it cost me to pay this lawyer? Thanks.
That's odd. I guess that nothing should surprise me, though. It seems that some politicians want to make it as onerous as possible for taxpayers. Our Michigan politicians charge 18% on back property taxes--plus other penalties and fees...but I digress.

I'd still call the tax assessment office to get an explanation of the process. If you have to pay the attorney directly, then that's what you'll need to do. You'll find out the cost soon enough--I have no idea what that might be. Please report back when you get it resolved. (And make sure that they certify that all back taxes have been paid.)

Old 02-18-2014, 06:52 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,746,213 times
Quote:
Stop looking at web sites. Get in your car and drive. As suggested by someone else......you should deal directly with the tax assessment office. They are professionals and can answer all your questions. No one can answer your questions here.

The more time you wait, the higher price your going to pay. You need to deal with this "yesterday"

Old 02-18-2014, 07:36 PM

Spoke to someone in the tax assessment office and they will not take my payment unless I have to pay all legal fees. They told me to call the lawyer first and get the release before I can pay. How frustrating... So I did. The lawyer charged me almost 2,500 in fees then pay the taxes worth 6,975.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate