Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 05:49 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,379,182 times

Advertisements

It's been two months since we closed on this house.

I know what the rule says about stuff left in the house after closing.

But during the garage cleanup I found a rather expensive tool in what was obviously left as trash by mistake. (A router, complete with bits left in a bucket).

So, do I call the previous owner's and give it back?

It should be noted the obligation to clean up the property completely was not fully met (and I didn't make a fuss about it, I just cleaned it up myself).

And no I'm not trying to 'justify' keeping the router, as I own one already.

Just wondering what thoughts here are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 06:05 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,328,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
It's been two months since we closed on this house.

I know what the rule says about stuff left in the house after closing.

But during the garage cleanup I found a rather expensive tool in what was obviously left as trash by mistake. (A router, complete with bits left in a bucket).

So, do I call the previous owner's and give it back?
Whatever you want to do: Ask if they want it back, keep it, sell it. It belongs to YOU, as does the house.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:10 PM

8,089 posts, read 10,118,142 times
Give it back. You will have a heavy heart for a long time if you don't do the 'right' thing.

BTW, in many countries around the world, there wouldn't be a moments hesitation. You simply do what is correct, and when you have something which doesn't belong to you, you go out of your way to find the owner and return it.

It's only in America that we think first of ourselves and not of the greater good. Comes from being a young, consumable, don't give a $hit about anybody else society. ( NOt picking you out at all).

Why set yourself up for a lifetime of bad ju-ju over a tool?

Old 09-21-2011, 10:54 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,901,993 times
Maybe they didn't want it anymore... you can ask if they want it back and if they said no, then its yours and your conscious can rest easy.... now if you said you found 20k in a bag somewhere, I say keep it and keep quiet... hehehe...

Old 09-22-2011, 06:19 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,355,267 times
I'd consider giving it back. it really depends on how screwd you felt on the amount of clean up you had to do, and how easy it would be to contact/get it back to the sellers.
if they're out of state, congrats you got a new router. If they're down the block I'd consider calling or ringing the bell and returning it.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 AM

102 posts, read 602,555 times
I know if I 'lost' something in a move, or accidentally left something behind, I would appreciate a call if someone found it.... so my opinion on this matter is to call and ask them if they left it by mistake (and if they want it back).

Of course if they're not close by, you're going to have to figure out who is going to pay for shipping.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,802,513 times
Let them know you found it. They will be very happy that you are honest.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:09 AM

3,612 posts, read 7,951,644 times
If you're talking about a CABLE router it's more like $100 value not more. And it might even be broken, or so obsolete as to not be worth using. Legally it's yours; an email verifying that they don't want it would be scrupulously ethical.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:45 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,347,406 times
When I bought my house I told the seller that anything he left behind was his for the next year and he could come pick it up anytime. After a year it's mine. He agreed and only came by once to collect a few things. Hang on to it. Let the seller know you have it and would give it back if he wants it.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:42 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,328,250 times
I'm selling my house and moving. I can't imagine leaving anything in the house by accident. Granted that it would be the right thing to do to call the seller and ask if he really wanted to leave it there. But a router isn't really a big thing. No need to engender guilt in the buyer if they want to keep what they find in the house, if the seller seemed to have left it. In computer software we call it a cookie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate