Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 03:31 AM

36 posts, read 79,639 times

Advertisements

On 11-25, the sale of my home becomes a tax free event. The market is red, red hot right now, even as we are entering the late Summer lull. When should I list it, if I can't close (strictly tax reasons) until 11-25?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 05:36 AM

43,352 posts, read 77,219,919 times
List by mid-September and clearly specify your required closing date.

Don't accept an offer with an earlier closing date proposed.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:54 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,704,883 times
Gee, I would go ahead and list it now. Just be sure the required closing date is clearly stated and emphatically communicated that you won't close before then.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:02 AM

43,352 posts, read 77,219,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Gee, I would go ahead and list it now. Just be sure the required closing date is clearly stated and emphatically communicated that you won't close before then.
Yea, that too. 11/25 is only 90 days out.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:23 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,007,895 times
Agree with the last two posters. Spend a week or two getting it into tip top selling shape and list it now. MLS (here anyway) has a confidential agent remark section where they can say you absolutely will not close before 11/25.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:37 AM

15,587 posts, read 40,476,450 times
All of the above.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:10 AM

210 posts, read 577,311 times
Interesting...Get it inspected. Fix the things you can afford. Disclose the rest. Price accordingly. Leave the report for buyers to read. Leave the receipts to show what's been repaired. This avenue will insure you get your asking price and reduces the amount of haggling that goes on during the Real Estate Transaction.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:26 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,050,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thession View Post
Interesting...Get it inspected. Fix the things you can afford. Disclose the rest. Price accordingly. Leave the report for buyers to read. Leave the receipts to show what's been repaired. This avenue will insure you get your asking price and reduces the amount of haggling that goes on during the Real Estate Transaction.
If the OP's market is indeed "red hot" I would advise against this. Too many people watch HGTV and think a pre-listing inspection is always a great idea. If you're going to have a line of people out the door waiting to buy your home, you have so much negotiating leverage. You're in a position to tell the buyer "you want his house? Then you can fix that when you own it. If not, I'm going to one of my back up offers." Plus, every inspector finds different defects. You can do a pre-listing inspection but the buyers will still likely have their own inspector come in and they'll likely find other defects and they may have also missed defects that your inspector found. Keep the defect list and your costs as low as possible by just leaving the inspection to the buyers.

I've never ever had a client do a pre-listing inspection. It doesn't make sense in hot market.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:36 PM

36 posts, read 79,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If the OP's market is indeed "red hot" I would advise against this. Too many people watch HGTV and think a pre-listing inspection is always a great idea. If you're going to have a line of people out the door waiting to buy your home, you have so much negotiating leverage. You're in a position to tell the buyer "you want his house? Then you can fix that when you own it. If not, I'm going to one of my back up offers." Plus, every inspector finds different defects. You can do a pre-listing inspection but the buyers will still likely have their own inspector come in and they'll likely find other defects and they may have also missed defects that your inspector found. Keep the defect list and your costs as low as possible by just leaving the inspection to the buyers.

I've never ever had a client do a pre-listing inspection. It doesn't make sense in hot market.
I tend to agree with this, and also, from my buying experience, it seems like 3 months is a long, long time to have money sit in escrow. I wouldn't ask for more than about 3000 in EMD, and there would be many that might be more than willing to forfeit, and at that point the listing might seem a bit stale.

I do appreciate the comments. And let me add, that there would be a 50/50 chance that the buyers are only listed in the lot, as it is a very small house on a perfect Mid-town location. It's a 67 yo cottage, that I have lived in for the last two years.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:49 PM

11,362 posts, read 16,733,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saversrevenge View Post
On 11-25, the sale of my home becomes a tax free event. The market is red, red hot right now, even as we are entering the late Summer lull. When should I list it, if I can't close (strictly tax reasons) until 11-25?
Red red hot...what decade are you living in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate