Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,237,888 times

Advertisements

New thing on the REO front. Just got a contract that requires all inspections to be done prior to making an offer. In fact a required addendums says you waive any rights to ask to have anything fixed and any further inspections.

And they don't guarantee utilities will be working.

And it requires that the EMD be forfeit by the buyer as soon as the seller accepts the offer.

So you got to inspect before offering and give up the emd at the start of the contract.

I wonder if this is a trend that will slow the REO market a bit.

I convinced my FHA client to walk even though she wanted the house. I don't know how you deal with an FHA when you can't inspect. I suppose you could do all the FHA stuff before the offer...but that does not sound workable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 09:37 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,180,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
New thing on the REO front. Just got a contract that requires all inspections to be done prior to making an offer. In fact a required addendums says you waive any rights to ask to have anything fixed and any further inspections.

And they don't guarantee utilities will be working.
Having an inspection done before you even make an offer complicates matters - tough to evaluate any purchase
Re fixing anything, in our area, REOs are always sold "as is".

Old 04-04-2009, 09:44 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,991,856 times
Wow. This is a new one! Haven't heard anything about this here, in Colorado.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,903,168 times
I just closed one that had that stipulation on it. Fortunately for us, the utilities were on... the listing agent had turned everything on and was being reimbursed all expenses afterwards by the bank. What we did was make the offer, the bank accepted, sent over the addendum. Before signing the addendum we went and did the inspection, then signed the addendum, sent in the escrow and.... closed.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:27 PM

15,589 posts, read 40,484,416 times
I can't see too many buyers giving up their earnest money, or else it will be a very small EMD. There is still the title report, HOA reports, CC&R's etc. I mean changes can happen between when a deal is signed and closing.

That does not bode well for trying to get homes sold.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:38 PM

11,834 posts, read 34,470,294 times
I have seen it a few times in MLS. I will explain to buyers why if they should choose to offer after viewing, suspect everything is in need of repair.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:51 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,903,168 times
If I remember correctly the addendum had to do with inspections. The bank still had to give clear title and if they couldn't the escrow was not at risk. Well, for the one I did anyway...I'm sure they aren't all the same.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,237,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
If I remember correctly the addendum had to do with inspections. The bank still had to give clear title and if they couldn't the escrow was not at risk. Well, for the one I did anyway...I'm sure they aren't all the same.
Actually the way this one reads it makes no difference whether it closes or not or why. And you have to provide the addendum with your offer. Clearly you have an action against the lender/owner if it does not close but there is no obvious way to get the EMD back except an action.

I know a couple of investors who could run their own inspection and make such a deal but I can't see trying it with an FHA.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:41 PM

43,359 posts, read 77,240,687 times
I have seen multi-family listings for years like that. FWIW.

I guess too many deals have terminated when buyers figure out that foreclosures are often in dismal condition, and the banks want assurances of closing.
A lot of our foreclosures here stipulate "No FHA or USDA."

And the real effect of such stupidity by the banks will be an immediate $15,000-$20,000 drop in value for REO properties.
It limits the market to folks with cash to risk, and strong stomachs.

Dumb move, IMO.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:37 AM

40,955 posts, read 49,266,920 times
I would think a home like this would not be for your average buyer and someone would need to be an experienced investor / buyer when they look at the home.

For the average buyer I would use the real estate 4 letter word - "Next"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals