Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:47 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times

Advertisements

Need some advice from our CD real estate 'gurus'

For several reasons, we are contemplating ending a listing contract. I have read through the contract numerous times and can find nothing specific as to terminating it early.

Where or how can I get that info?

Or should we just flat out tell the agents (they are a 2 person 'team') we're done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 02:23 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,533 times
Well, I think both. You should know what the contract says and talk to your agents about it. Most agents won't hold you to it, but you are in a contract.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:17 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
You listing contract says nothing about termination?

Since it says nothing you need to call and talk with your agents and say you want to terminate the contract. You'll have to negotiate the terms from there.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:49 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
Need more information - why are terminating?

Old 07-20-2008, 07:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Do yourself a favor and read the agreement again. I am hard -pressed to think of a contract in any business that does not provide for a termination clause.

In my area, the owner can terminate the listing with ( fill in the blank) days notice. There are no strings or costs involved in doing so. This may or may not be the case in your area.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:51 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
Kansas Real Estate Commission

Well, ain't we just learning something every day? Look at that site..those are Kansas contracts and they are IRREVOCABLE. There is NOTHING in either listing contract that explains how it can be canceled, for what reasons, for a fee, nothing. Nadda.
Wow. I'm surprised!

So, I guess unless there is something they did very wrong, I don't know how you would get out of the agreement.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:55 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Our listing agreements have a start date and an end date with no clause for cancellation. Our broker will usually work with a seller to get them another good agent or totally cancel (in most cases) if they are completely unhappy.

No one wants a mad or unhappy client so we usually wish them well and let them go elsewhere.

When these clients leave we are usually glad to see them go also since many times they've made our life miserable also.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:25 AM

Thanks palmcoasting- I just digested that line this morning, upon reading the darn listing contract yet again. Yowsie...
But interestingly enough, at the brokers open last week, a comment was made that if, in general, sellers don't do _______, then fire them. Hum, how 'bout them apples...but according to the contract, even the agent 'can't' terminate.

Well I am going to do some research on this....

Rakin, you said "When these clients leave we are usually glad to see them go also since many times they've made our life miserable also."

ROTF....I won't even take the time to post about our first agent from earlier this year and how miserable WE were...and glad to see them go.
but I do understand what you mean. Some sellers are completely and totally clueless as to what constitutes a 'good' seller.
Ah, sellers and agents...the good , the bad, and the ugly.

whofanme- Hubby was downsized after a year here, we put house on market(at a loss..of course)
thinking we would be relocating out of the area, 6 mths after intensive nationwide job search he was offered a postion here recently. So we are staying for now. Thought we would keep the house on the market, and possibly downsize, or more likely rent.

Now we are being urged to spend $$$$ on some things that weren't an 'issue' a couple of months ago......... or some crap...just to get it sold...
AND lower the price too!! Not just lower the price.
But since we aren't up against a wall and as desperate as we were 3 weeks ago, not sure if it is worth it.
Seriously considering riding it out 'til next spring, and if we can sell then, fine. If not, will be in the house 2 yrs. and figured we could always rent it if need be, and take our losses that way. Since there is no tax 'relief' for loss when selling a primary residence...

(how come primary residence real estate can't qualify as gambling loses or winnings

I guess I need to call the agent back...they are very determined to sell this, ha.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:28 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
One thing I've learned in life is anyone who would use the name Crazyma is someone you wouldn't want to mess with.

It would be wise for your agent to let the listing cancel.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 AM

Rakin, oh but I am a nice sort of crazy.

Yes, maybe wise....bless their hearts.
If and when it happens, want it to be a 'happy' break, with no hard feelings.. ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals